HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:42 PM
United States, MN, Fort Ripley
Joined Apr 2011
16 Posts
Discussion
hard starting OS 61SF ring

I have recently acquired an OS 61 SF ring, seems to be in good shape-however, it will not hand start and requires from 10 to 30 seconds with my sullivan starter. I can see fuel in the line, in fact will pull some up with a finger chocking the carb and hand flip. Glow plug is new and have changed-no difference. What are the chances of it not being broken in? I've bench run it approx. 20 minutes. Once it starts it has great power and excellent throttle response. Currently running Omega 10% with 12/8 wood prop.
quartersawn is offline Find More Posts by quartersawn
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:26 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jul 2010
209 Posts
Enough power to plug?

You might try removing the glow plug and checking the lit plug visually, it may not be getting enough power. This is why I like a power panel, you can vary the power to the plug (within reason) to suit the needs of the engine.
Gnu4FF is offline Find More Posts by Gnu4FF
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Apr 2011
16 Posts
I don't have a power panel, but will try a different glow connection. Thanks, I was wrong re: fuel brand-it is Sig 10%.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:50 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,681 Posts
What is the appearance of the engine? Does it show signs of being well used, like Castor discoloration on the engine/muffler? That can kinda gives you a sense of newness. I always suspect it is a well used engine and go from there.

It might need a new ring. Sounds like it needs a good internal coating of oil to build up compression to fire. Once running, there is sufficient oil to keep the compression up, temp expansion, etc. to sort of fill in the gaps so to speak.

You can get a new ring from Frank Bowmsn, the "ringmaster." Sort of inexpensive overhaul for an otherwise great engine. I have its little brother, the SF 46 and it runs a like a champion.
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Apr 2011
16 Posts
The engine appears new, compression is good-prop bounces quite alot after a flip. It would not run 4 cycle at first, but seems better now-I've run it approx 20 minutes, attempting to 4 cycle with short 2 cycle runs intertwined. I appreciate the name of the ring man-that could come in handy in the future-does he have a web site? I had an 61 sf abc and it would start and run perfectly-until the chrome peeled and I couldn't get repair parts.
Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:57 AM
United States, CA, Norco
Joined Feb 2007
579 Posts
qtrsaw,

I'm thinking glow plug is too cold. An OS #8 or equivelant may be to cold try the OS #A-5 or the new designation
Roguedog is online now Find More Posts by Roguedog
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined Apr 2011
16 Posts
I will try that, no hobby shops in rural MN, so will have to wait until my next Tower order. I have run at least a quart of fuel through it so far, and it seems to be improving-yesterday I got it started by hand. Another subject: I mentioned an ABC 61 SF with peeled chrome in the cyl. and wondered what the secret is to remove the cyl. liner?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:03 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
1,002 Posts
Remove the head, backplate, muffler, and carb. Place in oven when wife not home at 250 to 300 degrees for about 20 minutes. Sacrifice a popsicle stick, split tongue depressor, or a toothbrush handle and stick it into the exhaust port. Rotate crankshaft and it should lift the liner far enough for you to pull it out while it is still hot.

Actually, if you have a peeled liner, stick anything you want into the exhaust port that the piston can push on.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Apr 2011
16 Posts
Thanks, really good advice-especially re:wife. I'll give it a try.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:06 PM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
561 Posts
Love the toothbrush handle suggestion. Now I know a "second life" use for my toothbrush.
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Jul 2010
209 Posts
Easiest task first. Remove the glow plug, attach the driver and look at the plug. Is it glowing brightly or just dimmly?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:28 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkupinski View Post
Remove the head, backplate, muffler, and carb. Place in oven when wife not home at 250 to 300 degrees for about 20 minutes. Sacrifice a popsicle stick, split tongue depressor, or a toothbrush handle and stick it into the exhaust port. Rotate crankshaft and it should lift the liner far enough for you to pull it out while it is still hot.

Actually, if you have a peeled liner, stick anything you want into the exhaust port that the piston can push on.
He said it was a ringed 61. Liner can't peel
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:02 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
1,002 Posts
He said he also had an ABC in post 5.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Jul 2010
209 Posts
I believe you are both correct. The engine in question is said to be ringed AND he has had an engine with an ABN cylinder that peeled. Not the same engine, I believe.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Apr 2011
16 Posts
Yes, two different engines. Finally, got this one to run quite well-took almost 2 quarts of fuel, but starts fairly well, idles and responds without hesitation-think it will be a great engine.
Thanks for all the help.