HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:43 PM
www.turbofanelectrics.com
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2002
853 Posts
Data
Ramtec edf w/ 123mm impeller scorpion 5035-650kv by TURBO FAN ELECTRICS test w/ video

Hello everyone Bill here with Turbo Fan Electrics and we are proud to announce we are a USA dealer for Trim Aircraft out of Australia. The owner of Trim Aircraft, Tony, developed a 127mm fan unit for glow engines years ago. This fan unit has since been converted to EDF by Tony and equiped with a GIANT Scorpion outrunner motor, the 5035-650kv and trimmed down the impeller to 123mm. On 12s this setup produces some sick power! We tested this motor with no exhaust duct and no inlet let to inflate the results...simply free air testing to give honest results. This fan unit/motor setup is available direct from us. Very limited quantities are instock so get yours while you can. More will be instock in a few weeks.

http://www.shop.turbofanelectrics.co...&categoryId=38

RAMTEC EDF w/ 123mm imeller SCORPION 5035-650KV MOTOR AVAILABLE AT WWW.SHOP.TURBOFANELECTRICS.COM (4 min 1 sec)

Ramtec 123mm EDF in Vertigo Venture Jet available at WWW.TURBOFANELECTRICS.COM (3 min 5 sec)

Alright everyone lets recap all the data we have so far. The dedicated Ramtec EDF rotor has a diameter that is 3mm less then its ICDF cousin. The shroud is now 124.3mm in diameter and the rotor is 122.7 mm. The centre hub is 58mm diameter. This gives a FSA of 91.8 cm squared. Below are the exhaust diameters for 75% fsa, 80% fsa, and 85% fsa respectively.
75% fsa = 93.65mm
80% fsa = 96.72mm
85% fsa = 99.7mm

Ramtec decided to help out all you guys out there that have a ICDF ramtec fan unit designed to be used with a OS 91 engine. They designed a fan unit that comes with the Scorpion motor already installed in the shroud and only leaves the end user to install the ICDF ramtec rotor. Now the ICDF rotor has a FSA of 100cm squared which is slightly larger then the dedicated edf ramtec. Below are the exhaust diameters for 75% fsa, 80% fsa, and 85% fsa respectively.
85% fsa = 104mm
80% fsa = 100.95mm
75% fsa = 97.75mm

The Ramtec dedicated edf rotor setup with the Scorpion 5035-650kv motor produced the following numbers.
Ramtec EDF with 122.7mm rotor, Turnigy 5000mah 40c 12s, phoenix 160hv produces
- 7610 watts
- 169.3 amps
- 26190 RPM's
- 19.2 lbs of thrust

I will try and get some numbers for all you guys out there that want to convert your ICDF ramtec units with the Electric ICDF ramtec unit....stay tunned.

best regards,
William
TurboFanElectric is offline Find More Posts by TurboFanElectric
Last edited by TurboFanElectric; Jan 31, 2011 at 10:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:50 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,165 Posts
i have a inlet lip that will fit this fan and also a Nacelle that we have been putting on the Falcon 120 and other boom type jets.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:52 PM
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2002
853 Posts
pictures of graph
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:52 PM
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2002
853 Posts
Thanks Air Sally I'll keep you in mind if my customers need one.

Bill
Last edited by TurboFanElectric; Dec 15, 2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 03:53 AM
Jets fly goooood!
Italy, Lazio, Ariccia
Joined May 2004
569 Posts
Hello Bill,

That's very good news!
Some more info about the fan? Is it a standard Ramtec fan or its a modified one.
I mean the rotors and stators blades are the same in shape and number as the standard ICDF ramtec or not?
What about the adaptor for the Scorpion motor? Do you sell it alone?
And what about the motor? Its a Stock Scorpion 5035-650 or with longer shaft? Shaft diameter?

TBW, I can see the Volt under load are a little bit low, only 43,63V while I was expecting the batteries to hold 44 Volts.

I am also a little bit disappointed about the test being done without any kind of inlets lip!
I would prefer to see a test with a nice rounded lip, because in that case the number could only be better!

Thank's for the information you will give me
Gianluca
felix72 is offline Find More Posts by felix72
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:02 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,165 Posts
impressive ...with one of my inlet lips you would have over 20lbs of thrust ...also the amps would go up
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:09 AM
Jets fly goooood!
Italy, Lazio, Ariccia
Joined May 2004
569 Posts
Those Scorpion 5035-xxx are supposed to be a real powerhouse.

I am also waiting for one to be delivered to mod my Vario Hughes 500E 1:4,5 scale to electric!
The one I am waiting is a 5035-410 kv, but all of them looks powerful!

Gianluca
Old Dec 16, 2010, 09:15 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,464 Posts
Felix, this looks to be the stock Ramtec EDF unit as delivered from Trim Aircraft, more details of this setup can be found here : http://trimair.com.au/index.php?page...emart&Itemid=1
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Dec 16, 2010, 09:34 AM
Jets fly goooood!
Italy, Lazio, Ariccia
Joined May 2004
569 Posts
Arngeir,

I know by talking with Tony of TrimAir that his initial modification of the stock Ramtec to electric was made by changing the number of stators as well, but I am not sure this one on the video is the same, that's why I am asking.

If its a stock one, I can be even more interested because I have a NIB Ramtec and could mod it easier.
Thanks for the link, btw the one listed there has 6 stator blades.

Gianluca
Old Dec 16, 2010, 09:34 AM
Sebastian Fla
Joined Nov 2005
600 Posts
Here is a video of my TrimAircraft Ramtec/Scorpion powered scratch built model:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1319819

That acceleration on the take off roll is not a camera trick it was real time. This thing has guts I tells ya

I am very happy with the Ramtec/Scorpion combination. Plenty of guts. My video was flown with 11 cells XPS (5kW+). I have since flown the model on 10 cell XPS (4.5kW+) packs with only a 2 MPH reduction on top end speed but a 15 to 20 Amp reduction in current draw.

Very good to see these available in the states. I have a flying buddy needing one for an old F-100 conversion.

I got mine strait from Tony in Oz, the transaction was smooth. Best of luck.

Regards,
Leonard
Lboogie is offline Find More Posts by Lboogie
Old Dec 16, 2010, 09:47 AM
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2002
853 Posts
Hello Gianluca this is the standard conversion setup Trim Aircraft offers. The fan unit has 6 stators that are made out of aluminum and the standard 9 blades. The motor is the Scorpion 5035-650kv that Tony had special ordered from Scorpion with a shaft that is identical to the OS91VRDF. I know the voltage drop was a little excessive but Since my amps are at 169 already I can live with that... I didn't test with a intake lip because I didn't have one, but I believe this is closer to the thrust figure that most will see as most will be using this in a full intake setup. If someone wants to send me a intake lip I will gladly test it for them and video the results.

Lboogie impressive video. I will be putting a video up next week of this setup in our demonstration Vertigo Venture (boomerang clone).

best regards,
Bill
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:09 AM
Germany, Koblenz
Joined Sep 2006
79 Posts
Woow...thatīs impressive numbers! Have I heard it right 19.2 lbs without a intake lip?

you must mount one, this increases thrust...and shows right amps...

How much weight has this fan now?

Which ESC do you used?
RW-Jets is offline Find More Posts by RW-Jets
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:57 AM
Jets fly goooood!
Italy, Lazio, Ariccia
Joined May 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW-Jets View Post
Woow...thatīs impressive numbers! Have I heard it right 19.2 lbs without a intake lip?

you must mount one, this increases thrust...and shows right amps...

How much weight has this fan now?

Which ESC do you used?
I think he use a CC ICE HV 160!

double the request about the weight!

Gianluca
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:08 AM
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2002
853 Posts
RW-Jets as Felix stated we are using a castle Ice 160hv. I will weigh the complete fan setup for all later today.

Best regards,
Bill
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:10 AM
Jets fly goooood!
Italy, Lazio, Ariccia
Joined May 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFanElectric View Post
Hello Gianluca this is the standard conversion setup Trim Aircraft offers. The fan unit has 6 stators that are made out of aluminum and the standard 9 blades. The motor is the Scorpion 5035-650kv that Tony had special ordered from Scorpion with a shaft that is identical to the OS91VRDF. I know the voltage drop was a little excessive but Since my amps are at 169 already I can live with that... I didn't test with a intake lip because I didn't have one, but I believe this is closer to the thrust figure that most will see as most will be using this in a full intake setup. If someone wants to send me a intake lip I will gladly test it for them and video the results.

Lboogie impressive video. I will be putting a video up next week of this setup in our demonstration Vertigo Venture (boomerang clone).

best regards,
Bill

Thank you for explaining me Bill,

looks like the ICDF and new electric are two different things.
Stators are different material, number and probably shape!

Gianluca