HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:37 PM
Genius CP, V450D01, CB180Z
Canada, BC, Nelson
Joined Apr 2012
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
I don't get it either especially with all the negative press this thing has been getting the last 6 months. Maybe it's a new reality. I hope they sell for a good price because it will be better for the rest of US when we decide to sell, but I have my doubts.
Its like my 2011 Honda CRF450X... not a bad dirtbike but way better after I bolted about $3K worth of toys on it. If I wanted to sell it today, I would get about 70% of the new price and I'd get nothing for the extra toys which actually improve the bike. In many cases, fixing up old cars works like that too.

As far as selling... I won't be selling any of my old birds. I'd be up for a big loss and I know it. Especially if I tried selling it to any of my flying buddies that have seen it smash into the ground 20 times at 50mph!

When I'm ready I'll just add another better bird to the collection. I still fly all of my birds, not just the big one. I let some of my rookie friends fly the older ones.
bradheli1 is offline Find More Posts by bradheli1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
The parts on your bike will make it sell faster though. I use to ride and race Hondas also. I got out of it as the 4 strokes were coming in. Mainly the YZF. I had 250 CR's. I raced B class.
Apphoard is offline Find More Posts by Apphoard
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:47 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradheli1 View Post
How many dollars worth of parts come with these? At $1000 this much more than it would cost for 2 new units with 2 x new 2801 transmitters with metal gears, with Turbo Ace motors. I know you have added new, better servos etc, but I thought used stuff always sold for much less than new?

What am I missing? I have a buddy thats buying a V450D right now, but thought that there would be big savings buying a used one.
First of all, i don't recall giving an actual asking price yet? So by all means someone can make me an offer. I might have been sarcastically speaking in hypotheticals in the past. But besides that, i don't think i gave a price? Anyway, you show me where you get a RTF V450 with metal gears that have replaceable servo gears & horns for less than $400-500. Even used with stock plastic gears are selling for around $300 if you check completed listings on ebay. I don't think I've seen any with a full set of Savox servos though. Because these have them on each heli. Those alone run $150 for each set. The Turbo ace motor, that can go too. Because i sure don't want it anymore. I also probably have about 7 or so batteries and a transmitter lipo as well. Who knows what is left in spare parts, rotor head pieces and all that kind of crap. I probably have 3 or 4 new OWBs and gear bases too. Replacement gear sets for the servos. Blades, Servo horns and linkages. I donno, a bunch of stuff. LIKE I SAID, i have to take more pictures of everything i have left. I was thinking in the ball park of $450-500 for the yellow one with a TX. Because it's not used, It's only been test flown 2 times. Once to hover in my drive way and once i flew it at the field to make sure it was working okay and video it for "proof of flight". Otherwise it's all brand new parts besides the servos. For the white one, I was going to do a full rebuild on it, but decided not too and only rebuilt the necessary parts. So probably less for that one because it is the one i have been flying this whole time. What would you expect to sell them for? $200 each? The RX and TX for the yellow one cost that much and i only got those a few weeks ago specifically for that hei.

OR, Of course you could go and attempt what you said and buy a RTF v450 with 2801 pro from wow hobbies with the turbo ace motor. Problem is, i think you underestimate the retail value in that. They are $550. But of course you would have to upgrade the servos yourself too for another $150. here is a link: http://www.wowhobbies.com/walkerav45...reduced-8.aspx

Anyway, i planned on getting all the stuff out and setting them in two separate packages and taking pictures. The picture above is just the one i took after finishing the rebuild on the white one and painting the canopies. I need to see what all i have left in spare parts and things like that too. I was just curious before if anyone thought they would sell in a packaged pair with all of the other stuff i have for them. It seemed unlikely, but it's something that i would have bought if i had seen it back when i was looking. So, i thought i would get a second opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
I don't get it either especially with all the negative press this thing has been getting the last 6 months. Maybe it's a new reality. I hope they sell for a good price because it will be better for the rest of US when we decide to sell, but I have my doubts.
I don't know... You seem to be saying a heli isn't worth about it's weight in new parts. But you tried to sell me a 4f200 for $250 once. At the time, they were still available in some stores and retail price at the time was about $200 on a BNF, so I'm pretty sure you understand. Especially since i got mine with a TX at wow for not much more. I thought that was reasonable because i trusted your claim that it was in good condition and already had a upgraded RX. I would have bought it too if i had not spent all my money on the v450. So i guess it's all relative.

Quote:
As far as selling... I won't be selling any of my old birds. I'd be up for a big loss and I know it. Especially if I tried selling it to any of my flying buddies that have seen it smash into the ground 20 times at 50mph!
I'm the opposite. I wouldn't mind a crashed heli as long as all the parts are replaced. Whats the difference? This is not a car or motorcycle we are talking about. It's a toy helicopter, no matter how much emphasis us dorks put on the word "hobby". It's still a pretty much a big toy. It's not anything like a car or motorcycle. Why? Because there are hundreds less moving parts and things to fail. Each individual owner is basically a mechanic too. Usually capable of full builds and rebuilds. Otherwise you'd probably be buying a crashed heli because they don't know how to fix it, right?
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:33 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,324 Posts
I say if you replace the parts its a new heli. But the price always has to be right , then someone will buy,

I would like to tell everyone that empirerc.com is replacing all 4 of my 6 cell batteries. They have been very nice and helpful with my problem, maybe the next time you all need parts you will check them out. They have great customer service.
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:43 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
I say if you replace the parts its a new heli. But the price always has to be right , then someone will buy,

I would like to tell everyone that empirerc.com is replacing all 4 of my 6 cell batteries. They have been very nice and helpful with my problem, maybe the next time you all need parts you will check them out. They have great customer service.
Sounds like a very good reason to buy from them and to also buy Hyperion cells/packs. I'm sure they appreciate your referral. There is usually a reason why people charge extra for their product. It's usually to cover overhead in quality or warranty! I'm glad they did that for you. This is one of the things i fear about jumping into a bigger heli with more expensive packs. Some of these packs do actually cost $150 for a single 6S pack. It's not a small investment. To happily fly a 700 i would easily have to invest as much in packs as i have the heli it's self. I've already done the math. So i felt your pain when you told me what was happening. I thought maybe you out cycled them, then i realized! You have only flown your 600 about 60 flights! No way, unless you used the same pack every single flight, should your packs have been going bad. If you were cycling them out you can figure you had less than 15 cycles on each pack. So that was a defect for sure!

Turnigy has what sounds like a good warranty on paper, but i have never tried to take them up on it because the 3S packs were only $10. So shipping would have been more than the warranty was worth. The packs are so cheap it's not even worth worrying. But on a bigger heli, it's much more expensive. You better believe i'd be taking them up on that warranty. I wonder if i would have to go though HK or direct to turnigy. Because i'd bet HK is not so bad to deal with in regards to things like that.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:33 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,324 Posts
Batteries only have a month warrenty from hobby king? I tryed after having one of my 2200 packs going bad, but i dont think its bad, i just think i need to break them in more.

Have you looked into synergy? They were very nice this weekend , and there helis are sweet!
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:12 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Batteries only have a month warrenty from hobby king? I tryed after having one of my 2200 packs going bad, but i dont think its bad, i just think i need to break them in more.

Have you looked into synergy? They were very nice this weekend , and there helis are sweet!
Yeah, they look sweet. Expensive too. I just have my heart set on a X5. I had fun flying my 450 the other day for the first time in probably a month or more. The only reason i did it was so i could shoot the videos for these 2 450s to put in the listing. Otherwise they have just been sitting. These guys all have me not wanting to bother trying to sell them now though, with everything they were saying. Now i'm thinking maybe i should just give up and shelf them for good. They flew good and everything, but i know it's not going to be close to what i can expect from a Gaui. If i'm stuck with them, i might as well just give up now. As it sits i want to sell every one of my helicopters, if thats what it takes. Because i really can't enjoy flying any of them anymore. The v120s are cool and everything, but they lack output for prolonged 3d and they are hard to see. The 4f200 flies well enough and everything. But it's a novelty act. It will never be capable of hard tick tocks or anything fun. It's amazing i am able to fly 3d on it at all after all the "it's not a 3d heli" noise i got when i first got it. It's funny, the only Walkera i have anymore that i want to keep is the custom 5 blade bell 222 i built. Only because it's not a 3d Heli so it flies great and looks really cool on the shelf. But if someone makes the right offer, thats going too.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:04 AM
Frogfish
Malaysia, Melaka
Joined Mar 2012
35 Posts
Hi, does anyone could explain me the normal procedure to affect dedicated ID to my Rx 2702 ?
I look at the Tx 2801 user manual but not clear at all. Is it a must to go through the Rx setup procedure again after that?
Thx for the support.
Madog71 is offline Find More Posts by Madog71
Last edited by Madog71; Oct 09, 2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:45 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
284 Posts
I once mentioned to you that on your RX that throttle 2 is the port # to be used for nitro engines. At least this is what I read in the crappy manual for your RX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Today I flew my old v450 using tho2 port. After factory defaulting the ESC I changed the required settings and flew without gov mode. The throttle felt much smoother than before. The strange throttling/reviving that was always bothering me.without the gov. was no longer present.

So I sat here thinking. Why do we use thro1 after calibration of throttle end points on the ESC using tho2? Actually thinking about it now. Knowing that the threshold is different for both ports, this seems pointless to not just use thro2 for flying. Especially since the ESC has protections built in. Using the WK protections in the RX seems redundant. Plus then you are changing the actual threshold of your throttle programming by switching ports after calibration. So all of this sounds logical to me. Can anyone disprove it or know something I don't?
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:58 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madog71 View Post
Hi, does anyone could explain me the normal procedure to affect dedicated ID to my Rx 2702 ?
I look at the Tx 2801 user manual but not clear at all. Is it a must to go through the Rx setup procedure again after that?
Thx for the support.
It's been a while. But i believe you turn on the TX. Go to Stick menu. Change "ID BIND" to "Random" (it should be random already) and then turn off your TX and plug in the battery on your heli. When the heli turns on the RX light will be flashing. Turn on your TX and the heli will bind to the TX like normal. Go into the stick menu after binding and change it to "ID BIND". A random number will be used or you can set your own. It will ask for "ID MATCH?" you press the ent button and it will begin sending the ID to the RX. Once it has completed The RX has received the ID code. Unplug the heli and plug it back in. It should bind immediately to the RX. From this point on, if your TX gets reset or if you need to use another TX or model data in your same TX you will need to know the ID code. Otherwise you will need to use the ID Bind plug to reset the code. Because you will not be able to bind normally any longer until you clear the ID Bind code with the plug. You may have to repeat the process twice or something like that to verify the bind and make it permanant. I remember reading something in the manual about that. But that manual is hard enough to translate, someone should have been hired that can write English, instead of Chinglish. Because no one understands what they are saying in their manuals!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:08 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
I once mentioned to you that on your RX that throttle 2 is the port # to be used for nitro engines. At least this is what I read in the crappy manual for your RX.
Yeah, but unfortunately setting throttle limits in the Thro1 port is complicated and possible sets the wrong end points. Hard to tell. If i can only change the throttle end points on my ESC using the thro2 port. Wouldn't changing the wire over to thro1 after be changing that threshold totally? So i'm kind of confused to why we don't just use the 2nd throttle port that does not have any of the protections that cause the ESC to not function properly while trying to enter programing mode and throttle end point calibration. If the ESC we use already have throttle protections and things of this nature built into themself, why use the redundant protections inside the thro1 port on the RX? I wonder how they have their gasser model setup. It's using the 2702V-D devo version. It's likely using throttle 2 then for the gas engine? /shrug i know next to nothing about gassers and prefer to keep it that way. Too freaking loud for me!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:57 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Okay, i was looking though some pictures. Have any of you guy flown the v450 enough to have this occur yet? During my rebuild inspection of my old v450 this was one of the things i replaced. Not just because it was worn down to nothing, but because the ball link part of the rocker was cracked too. It broke removing the rocker. But i never really realized the aluminum was wearing out too! When looking at it, it always looked like there was a tiny bit of play because the plastic was a little worn out. But the tail always held tight anyway.

You guys got me discouraged from selling them now. I think i'll just go fly my v450 today and see what happens.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:11 PM
Genius CP, V450D01, CB180Z
Canada, BC, Nelson
Joined Apr 2012
208 Posts
Quote:
Okay, i was looking though some pictures. Have any of you guy flown the v450 enough to have this occur yet? During my rebuild inspection of my old v450 this was one of the things i replaced. Not just because it was worn down to nothing, but because the ball link part of the rocker was cracked too. It broke removing the rocker. But i never really realized the aluminum was wearing out too! When looking at it, it always looked like there was a tiny bit of play because the plastic was a little worn out. But the tail always held tight anyway.

You guys got me discouraged from selling them now. I think i'll just go fly my v450 today and see what happens.
Wow, I have not done that one .... yet! But I will be doing an inspection. Thanks for that! I'm sorry to poo-poo your initial price. You are right... it is worth the price you are talking with all of those batteries and parts and the good servos. Its just that new / used thing. People almost always think used should be cheaper than new... unless we are talking about a '67 camero.

After watching your flying, I do wonder if that V450 is just not up to your level of skills. I have never had the talent to work my bird that hard. I'm guessing others are the same. We just don't test it hard enough or often enough to break it like you do. I think you need a super high end bird, ready for the paces you put them through. If (when) I fly like you do.... I'll be getting that Gaui or Goblin.
bradheli1 is offline Find More Posts by bradheli1
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:

I have had the same thing happen on both my M120 and V450.
Good place to look if you have tail wag or vibration.
Just glad I didn't have one fail in flight.

Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Last edited by A VIKING; Oct 09, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:37 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Quote:
Wow, I have not done that one .... yet! But I will be doing an inspection. Thanks for that! I'm sorry to poo-poo your initial price. You are right... it is worth the price you are talking with all of those batteries and parts and the good servos. Its just that new / used thing. People almost always think used should be cheaper than new... unless we are talking about a '67 camero.

After watching your flying, I do wonder if that V450 is just not up to your level of skills. I have never had the talent to work my bird that hard. I'm guessing others are the same. We just don't test it hard enough or often enough to break it like you do. I think you need a super high end bird, ready for the paces you put them through. If (when) I fly like you do.... I'll be getting that Gaui or Goblin.
No, it's good. I take criticisms well even though i might not always show it. I'm willing to sell the white one for a reasonable price. Since it is well used. But it has been rebuild except for the CF frame and upgraded. Someone trying to get into a heli like this would have to pay much more than just buying it from me. Thats how i look at it. Though, i think i get frustrated more at the RX/gyro than anything. Today i ripped my old rx off my original v450 (AGAIN!!!!!) and put the brand new one from the yellow heli on there (AGAIN). Unlike the last time, this time i had great results. I flew 6 packs almost back to back. No heat at all on the hobbywing platinum and the CX 4550kv motor was running just over body temps using the rhino 13T pinion. The motor was running nice and smooth too. I have the video to edit and upload. I think i only recorded 4 of the flights. I'm going to whack them all into one video since i can upload long videos to you tube now. I'm, of course, using the FRP blades that i've grown fond of, even though they are kind of sloppy in flight. I'm also using a old cracked up canopy. But the old white heli flew real nice today. Unfortunately it's been so long since i've really tried to fly it in 3d that it wasn't until the last flight i really started to warm up and get used to the wind again and start trusting the heli & gyros again. But then i ran out of charged packs! They are charging right now. Hoping to get another wave out there before the sun goes down. The one thing i noticed was when trying to do tick tocks the heli wants to tilt on the aileron axis some. I'm also scared to try reverse flight or inverted reverse flight because my V120D02S gyros don't like either one. I'm scared the 2702 might flip me around or drift like that one does. Maybe when i get used to flying it again. But honestly i'd still rather just sell them and grab a Gaui. For the time being, i'm considering getting my DX7 and a 7200BX and strapping it on the v450. That should be a big improvement in it's capabilities. But i suppose for now, with all the trash i give Walkera. It's possible i've just had a bunk RX this whole time. But in a way, thats kind of why i give Walkera so much trash. It seems that random bunk units make it out often in their smaller heli and now in the Master CP too. Just randomly! Poor QC. So if it is just the RX that has been giving me all these issues, that would make sense wouldn't it? Because i've already replaced and mix and matched all the rest of the electronics all over the place. It almost makes me want to put the CF blades back on for the next few flights.

Just for the record, i have a kinked neck today. Hard to move the neck.. Wait no it's not. I'm all hopped up on diazepam. I remember once joking that this stuff would be good for flying nerves! MAN IS IT EVER! There is a good reason why they give this stuff to snipers! On top of that i was able to move my neck enough to video the heli.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Oct 09, 2012 at 05:42 PM.