HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:02 PM
United States, IL, Kankakee
Joined Jan 2011
29 Posts
question

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I have been flying my v1 S surfer for a long time. I originally flew it with a CG of 70mm and I felt that it was a touch tail heavy and it would tend to porpoise when in a power off glide. Recently I decided to use mt Ssurfer for an fpv trainer, but to do this I want to get the plane to fly nicely in a power off glide. I came back to this thread to see what others are using for a CG location and saw a few posts about using a CG location of 60mm from the leading edge. I rebalanced mine at 60mm and took it out to the field for a few test flights. I left all control surfaces neutral, and slowly added nose weight until the porpoising in a power off glide stopped. When It finaly stopped porpoising I rechecked the actual CG and it would balance perfectly level at 30mm from the leading edge Why would the CG be so much differnt from the vast majority on this thread?? I have to say, even with it this nose heavy, it still would glide forever!

So, do you now fly with that CG or what. My SS porpoises real bad but i have been reluctant to fly much farther ahead than 60mm. Have been moving a little at a time but too few days to fly to get it worked out. Any help from anyone is appreciated.
Dog
bigdogg1 is offline Find More Posts by bigdogg1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:26 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
When does it porpoise,on throttle or off or some were in between.
I am also curious how other folks will answer you.
IF THEY ANSWER YOU.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
I finally got some good stick time with my SS and then popped my GoPro on. Then, I played around with Windows MovieMaker.... Here's the video. I made the super hi-tech gopro mount in 5 min.... Not too bad for my first video......

First GoPro Flight with SS (3 min 54 sec)
Mikeamondo is offline Find More Posts by Mikeamondo
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Jan 2011
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
When does it porpoise,on throttle or off or some were in between.
I am also curious how other folks will answer you.
IF THEY ANSWER YOU.
Mostly while trying to do glide test and when motoring slowly into the slightest headwind. Seems to fly sorta OK apart from the porpoising. Fairly new to flight so i like to go kinda slow to minimize crashes.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogg1 View Post
So, do you now fly with that CG or what. My SS porpoises real bad but i have been reluctant to fly much farther ahead than 60mm. Have been moving a little at a time but too few days to fly to get it worked out. Any help from anyone is appreciated.
Dog
3 months ago I would be telling you that the CG of an aircraft does not change. If the design was 60mm then that is what you use and then add or move weight so it balances at that measurement.

Now I am not so sure since my SS V2 flew for over a year at 60mm and now it is better at 70mm. While I haven't got a good reason I did make a number of modifications to the fuse. This could have made the CG change but it should not have.

I know that doesn't help you but I can only suggest you try balancing at a few different CG measurements and then perform a hand tossed glide to see if your plane performs properly.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Jan 2011
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
3 months ago I would be telling you that the CG of an aircraft does not change. If the design was 60mm then that is what you use and then add or move weight so it balances at that measurement.

Now I am not so sure since my SS V2 flew for over a year at 60mm and now it is better at 70mm. While I haven't got a good reason I did make a number of modifications to the fuse. This could have made the CG change but it should not have.

I know that doesn't help you but I can only suggest you try balancing at a few different CG measurements and then perform a hand tossed glide to see if your plane performs properly.
Seems to dive pretty bad during no power hand toss glide
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:06 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Dog
Do this, go somewhere that has grass, weeds, 12" min. because your going to thro your plane into the air and your going to watch what it does and adjust. Straight into the wind, if theres wind, you will learn even more. Dead stick, no power. Go get it, when you've got it right it will glide well past what you might have expected.

When do I get to fly the plane. Just got my Bix2 ready to fly (CG is 7/16" back of spec, etc,) I'm as ready as I'm going to get.

Tomorrow only gliders can fly until 12:00. I'm going to take my Bix2 to the glider guys, i have a friend (highly respected) that might help me get this into the air. I'm not signed off on, my 'ticket is not punched' I can't fly on the tarmac because I haven't satisfied all doubts that I can fly this thing without hurting someone. I wouldn't have it any other way.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Seems to dive pretty bad during no power hand toss glide
It is tail heavy. What is the CG measurement?

Re-balance the weight with the new CG 10mm toward the nose and try again.

It should be somewhere between 55 and 75mm. Good luck

I was incorrect with my first message. See the attached document about CG.
Last edited by Eagle202; Aug 17, 2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: added doc and changed first
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:22 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:

I have that chart in my flight book, Thanks to you, I just don't understand the terms.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined Jan 2011
29 Posts
Quote:

Have use 60 to 70mm and most points in between Last attempt was at spec 60mm
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:30 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,171 Posts
I keep a 1/2 dozen copies of that "CG−position diagnosis via Dive Test" in my TX/Parts Flight Case to hand to anyone who is having trouble with getting CofG and flying 'powered' & 'gliding' set correctly.
-B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:31 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I have that chart in my flight book, Thanks to you, I just don't understand the terms.

DJ
Sculptor

I was told that if the plane nose dived then the balance point or false CG was too far toward the tail making it nose heavy.

If the plane suddenly rose then the balance point or false CG was too far toward the nose making it tail heavy.

The proper balance point or true CG would make the plane glide further out and slowly down.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Have use 60 to 70mm and most points in between Last attempt was at spec 60mm
What did it do at 60mm?

Make sure the elevator and ailerons are neutral. If they are off even a little the plane will be affected.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Jan 2011
29 Posts
Quote:
What did it do at 60mm?

Make sure the elevator and ailerons are neutral. If they are off even a little the plane will be affected.
Trimmed and neutral each time new CG used At 60mmm porpoised pretty bad Wouldn't moving CG farther forward make it more tail heavy
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Trimmed and neutral each time new CG used At 60mmm porpoised pretty bad Wouldn't moving CG farther forward make it more tail heavy
Are you testing under power or doing the glide test by hand?

It could be the motor thrust angle is off and every time you power up you have ot correct.

Or your control surfaces are way too extreme. Maybe reducing the travel distance or using a lower rate may help reducing control or over control.