New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2015, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by swampflyer
United States, FL, Keystone Heights
Joined Dec 2012
772 Posts
Discussion
What am i looking for...?

Im looking for something to "slope soar" without having to have a big slope. lol.

I live in an area with lots of lakes. So naturally there are days when the wind can really kick up. I live in florida, its flat. im talking lake, not the beach, so no sand dunes or anything like that....

i love flying my 3d foamys, etc... what im looking for is something that could be similar to the videos ive seen of people flying the dunes at the beach... swiss fish? but that looks like i need a slope...

or am i wrong?

what is it that im looking for? does it exist? something fun to fly on extremely windy days.
swampflyer is offline Find More Posts by swampflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2015, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
14,523 Posts
Maybe a DLG glider, (Discus Launch Glider) they are in the ---

Hand Launch forum

They give you the opportunity to get high enough from a hand launch to sniff out any thermals, and still can be used for any slope soaring.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 20, 2015, 01:22 AM
Find More Posts by jonesymj
Slopeosapien
Joined Jun 2006
813 Posts
I'd go the dlg route, too. Sadly, if you want a sloper, you're going to need a slope of some sort to fly it from. I've kept my dlg up for extended flights in some pretty good winds before without any slope just by working the flaps up and down a tiny amount. I know it can be done!
jonesymj is offline Find More Posts by jonesymj
Old Mar 20, 2015, 04:11 AM
Find More Posts by DKChris
Danish? Don't U eat that??
Denmark
Joined Jan 2008
256 Posts
If there's absolutely nothing in the shape of a slope near you, there's off course the option of trying your luck in the art of dynamic soaring off a tree line, like this:
Tree line DS, Dynamic soaring. (1 min 43 sec)

How it works:
DYNAMIC SOARING EXPLAINED (1 min 23 sec)

To get in the air you will need either a bungee or perhaps histart, or electric propusion.

There are a couple of issues with it:
1) Done right, this will go fast......real fast! To keep up inertia while going around and back up, low drag and a bit of weight is needed, and if you hit the "sweet spot" line it'll theoretically just keep going faster and faster till either you bail out or the model implodes from the forces of turning too sharply at high speed.
2) It takes some glider pilot skill to get it right - that said, it's an amasing high speed crash course on slope gliding.
3) A fairly fast and high performance glider will usually yield the best results, as it as mentioned helps with keeping inertia going.........it can be done with a suitably fast and perhaps ballasted combat wing or similar, but it takes more skill and concentration to fly clean enough to not loose too much inertia, as the higher drag craft will "bleed" the inertia faster.
4) You WILL crash! Again and again! The increasing speed and the turbulent conditions will just trick you time after time......Which off course goes badly with using an expensive high spec glider.....

All that said, it's one hell of an adrenaline kick to get it to work.......to be perfectly honest, I personally must admit that I'd probably run out of clean underwear way too fast..........but for those who like speed, there is nothing like it.

Oh, here's a clip I just found of a DS beginners first tries for reference, by the way:
Dynamic soaring. First attempt with a flying wing (3 min 10 sec)
DKChris is offline Find More Posts by DKChris
Last edited by DKChris; Mar 20, 2015 at 05:02 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 05:09 AM
Denmark
Joined Jan 2008
256 Posts
Here's a neat idea - using a "hole in the ground" for DS - also shows using an alula for DS:
Alula DS. (Do not try this at home) (2 min 33 sec)

An alula would work nicely, also because it can be discus launched, making it easier to get it airborne with a bit of altitude/ reaching treetops or whatever. I believe there are some scratch built alternatives to the alula out there.

A quarry or gravel pit or something similar might be the ticket.

Clip comments:
Quote:
Flying the Alula, testing a DS spot. Not the best spot with the road.
Will not fly here anymore,but just showing the DS potientiale of a hole in the ground, with no slope at the frontside.
Wind 10- 12 knots wind from left.
By the way SpeedsterDEN has also constructed a number of different very simple and pure slope planes that might work for some fast sloping/ slow DS:

RC. Part 1. How to make a Swift S1, aerobatic foamglider. (8 min 49 sec)

RC. Part 2.How to make a Swift S1, aerobatic foamglider. (7 min 24 sec)

RC. Part 3. How to make a Swift S1, aerobatic foamglider. (4 min 3 sec)

RC. Part 4 . How to make a Swift S1, The 1. flying. (1 min 48 sec)

RC. Part 5 . How to make a Swift S1, The 2. flying. (2 min 6 sec)

Scratch build FOX, Part 1 (1 min 44 sec)

(Click on the clip title in that last one, it'll take you to a playlist on Youtube...)

In fact he has a ton of Youtube uploads on all kinds of slope gliding; take a look around for yourself. He also posts here on RCgroups. Here's his thread on the Fox in the last vid: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1327457

Come to think of it, he has some clips where he's doing more ordinary slope flying off a pier - might be an idea as well.
Here's one of them including both ordinary sloping and DS - also features a nice contestant, the Wiesel, allthough i'm pretty sure a waterproofed FT versawing would do the trick for this as well :
Wiesel light, Sloping and DS (2 min 14 sec)

A side of a building with no windows (a long barn, factory building or whatever) would also work for ordinary sloping as well as DS(opposite wind direction).........just do ask the owner for permission first, use a plane that wont damage the building and keep it safe....
Last edited by DKChris; Mar 20, 2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 08:14 AM
Joined Dec 2012
772 Posts
does a 20 degree or less slope count? some lakes have pretty steep banks running to the water..

ive looked into DLG and all the videos ive seen look like they would leave me disappointed. looked at the libelle for a while... that might be the best option though, like you guys mentioned.

ive gotta go back and go over all that info you gave me DKChris, thank you very much. I like the looks of that swift. The alula was one i had forgotten about. thank you very much.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 08:22 AM
Joined Dec 2012
772 Posts
ok, in that last video...

why wouldnt that work on a lake WITHOUT a building behind you?

he's flying in the wind coming off the lake/bay isnt he? no slope.

edit* i guess the rocks piled up count as a slope. ... but no more then i could probably find around here. gives me hope. lol.
Last edited by swampflyer; Mar 20, 2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:19 AM
Denmark
Joined Jan 2008
256 Posts
It would certainly work without the building - in fact there'd probably be less turbulence behind the wall.

The rock part is probably about 6-8 feet tall, and the wall appears to be just under 3 feet tall. And something similar would work nicely. The slope lift would never be immense like on a very tall slope, but given the right choice of plane(mainly a bit lighter wing loading than what you'd use on a tall slope and generally lighter as the wind declines), you can probably fly in a place like that in anything from 6-7m/s and upwards.

The major difference for "front side sloping" is that you'll be working a much narrower lift band above and just in front of the wall than on a taller slope, where the usable lift band can reach up to tens of yards in front of the slope; For DS the calm air space behind the wall is also rather small, and will get smaller/lower as wind speed increases. It basically means you'll have to stay flying in a much smaller/narrower airspace to stay up. Going with a small and super light setup in fairly light wind like shown in the clip helps a lot in keeping speed down though, as you can see. You could probably keep a standard combat wing in the air in strong wind in a place like that, but it'll be hard work to stay in the lift band, and probably a bit nerve wrecking.....
Last edited by DKChris; Mar 20, 2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:32 PM
Denmark
Joined Jan 2008
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampflyer View Post
does a 20 degree or less slope count? some lakes have pretty steep banks running to the water...
20 degrees sounds a bit too far on the flat side to me, but might work with the right gear; here's a bit of reference :
BD-5 Ultabatic slope glider, very small slopes (2 min 56 sec)

Again, fairly light planes. And the lift will be rather light on a flat slope at a given wind speed - but the usable lift band will be wider!

And then again......take a look at this:
Arthobby Termik at the beach (2 min 12 sec)

But keep in mind - despite his at first glance perhaps less than sporty looks, this guy is a seasoned slope veteran - sloping probably accounts for more than half of his flying. He has skills not often seen......
Last edited by DKChris; Mar 20, 2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 01:57 PM
Joined Dec 2012
772 Posts
last videos sold me. lol. it can be done, for sure, at the locations i can find around here. probaby more "slopes" then i realize once i start looking for them.

what kinda planes would you recommend for something like that... I like that one in the first video above... what is that? i saw a couple videos of the libelle doing similar flying on tiny banks and slopes.

may be my best bet $$$ wise and having no experience with building gliders.

but do you have to throw it hard or can you just toss it out in front of you if your in an appropriate area?

time to find the libelle thread.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 03:49 PM
Denmark
Joined Jan 2008
256 Posts
haven't a clue to that BD-5's origins, but there was some search info in the vid......

The throw usually depends mostly on the wing loading of the plane, the heavier the harder I'd throw - mainly to get it as far away from myself as possible before I have to veer to either side or do something else drastic, because I've misjudged the lift
If you are standing in the lift band, i.e. at the very edge of the slope with a light enough glider in sufficient lift, you'll feel the lift trying to pull it up and out of your hand. From there you should be able either throw it lightly forward to give it a bit of forward speed against the wind or just point it lightly down and let to let it pick up ground speed on its own......or both, which is what I'd do.
Just common sense really......
Use your instincts and prepare with a series of (harder) hand launches in the flat far from any slope, they'll give you an idea of what to expect control wise before you add the factor of figuring out the nature of the lift band of your newly found slope - No two are alike, and a mere change in wind speed or direction can sometimes change the picture completely. Have fun with it basically. Try stuff and see how it goes. Start with what seems like the safest bets and evolve from there......keep it simple....
Last edited by DKChris; Mar 20, 2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by joker24458
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,465 Posts
Here's a fun scratchbuilt DLG (when I say DLG I do not mean competition stuff) that slopes really well, even in light winds if you build it light. Then you can ballast it for high winds too.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774439

-Andres
joker24458 is offline Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by leejohn
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Nov 2012
36 Posts
Try OSG, the one sheet dollar tree glider, it has motor it fly well, not sure how it will glider.
leejohn is online now Find More Posts by leejohn
Old Apr 15, 2015, 07:17 PM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,365 Posts
I didn't consider slope when i first designed the OSG, but several guys are slope soaring it. It would be an inexpensive way to try soaring, but it really depends on what you want to do. Since you are into 3D, i assume you are looking for acrobatics. The original OSG isn't set up for that, but some of the variants have been pretty acrobatic! The thread is on first page at the moment.

I would add that it is a whole lot easier to motor back to you with a motor glider than walking out to a downed dlg or other pure glider. (Old retired guy's comment)
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: even more indoor stuff!