New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2014, 04:57 PM
Find More Posts by Ronin055
Ah, so its THIS again. . .
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Jan 2013
473 Posts
Ive put this boat through some pretty nasty stuff, and the water intrusion doesnt seem to be an issue .

And ya you leave the rubber pad in the mast-step.
Ronin055 is offline Find More Posts by Ronin055
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2015, 06:14 PM
Find More Posts by Dadawada
United States, NC, Cary
Joined May 2014
214 Posts
Interesting day today with my Vela for anyone still following this thread.

Was out sailing around while the area sailing club was running their Victorias. Wind was really up; 10 to 15 switching around with gust to 25. The front came through and became steady out of the west at 20 to 25 while the boat was on close haul on a starboard tack when I could not get the boat to either round up into the wind to tack or fall off to jibe.

The boat would just not turn. I tried everything; sheeting in, sheeting out...nothing worked. Finally the boat got out of radio range and just sailed off on a steady heading for the other side of the lake. It was perfectly balanced and would not change. Luckily on the other side of the lake there were buildings that sat on the hill in the wood overlooking the lake on the far side. I would say from the point I started from to where it was headed had to be between 1/2 and 3/4 a mile. I could barely see the boat but saw if it stayed on course it would end up near one particular building.

So I left the lake park and headed for the other side of the lake. It was probably a 4 or 5 mile drive to get around to that building. I parked in the lot and headed through the wood down to the lake on that side of the lake. Sure enough there was the boat beached in the mud near shore. After a successful retrieval and hike back to the car I started wondering how I should have setup the boat so I would not have ended up that way.

So my question is what setup should I use in the future in these type (gusty) of situations to make sure I can still sail the boat? Should the mast be more forward or more rearward. I was sailing with what I thought was more rake toward the front. One thing I noticed was that with the boat healed over, the booms were dragging in the water preventing the sails from sheeting out.
Dadawada is offline Find More Posts by Dadawada
Old Mar 15, 2015, 06:46 PM
Find More Posts by tarmstro
RC Newbie with lots of ideas
Chile, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Stgo
Joined Dec 2012
403 Posts
Sounds you had an overpowered boat. First make sure if this exact same setup works with less wind. If it does, my bet is there was simply too much wind for your boat.

In RC racing, you normally have 2 or 3 different rigs/sails, so you can choose smaller sails when there is too much wind. You may want to get a second smaller rig for your Vela.

That said, myself I have a ETNZ, which has the same problem (only one big rig). I built a new mast step to be able to put the mast 2cm forward of the factory posiition, for use when there is strong wind. This way the sails Center of Effort is moved forward without affecting the overall sail geometry. This also neds to adjust forestay and shroud lenghts.

Also, sailing an overpowered boat is a skill that can be mastered. You need to learn to turn bow against the wind when the water is flatter (less waves) and when not in a gust. Just before turning, sail a little lower, so that the boat gains speed. Then, in flat water, turn fast! If the boat stops before the sails fill again, and starts backing, turn the rudder the other way around, and open sheets. The boat will go back and point the way you want it to! Only then close sails and start sailing again.

Hope this helps.
tarmstro is online now Find More Posts by tarmstro
Old Mar 15, 2015, 07:42 PM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined May 2014
214 Posts
Hey, thanks. Wasn't sure no one else still followed this thread.

All day the boat was overpowered and I could not control it except when I caught a lull. Unfortunately when the front came through there were no lulls. Nothing I did go the boat to turn enough. If I tried tacking leeward the rudder would become ineffective and the boat would fall off. If I tried falling off it would start and then round up.

I need a smaller set of sails.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 01:21 AM
Find More Posts by Rssailor
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
971 Posts
Dadawada,
I would recommend you put the B rig sails on that Rod Carr produces for the boat. Also in heavy wind tension the backstay more as you will flatten the jib this way and spill air from the upper third of the mainsail. Put more tension on the cunningham and ease the vang some to again open the upper third of the main. My boat is overpowered in anything above ten knots in my opinion, so I bring it in and sail a different boat. Have not tried the B rig sails. It's a great boat, don't give up on it, just recognize its limitations. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:09 PM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined May 2014
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Dadawada,
I would recommend you put the B rig sails on that Rod Carr produces for the boat. Also in heavy wind tension the backstay more as you will flatten the jib this way and spill air from the upper third of the mainsail. Put more tension on the cunningham and ease the vang some to again open the upper third of the main. My boat is overpowered in anything above ten knots in my opinion, so I bring it in and sail a different boat. Have not tried the B rig sails. It's a great boat, don't give up on it, just recognize its limitations. Ryan
Thanks!

Not giving up on the boat. I love it. I just need the skipper to improve

My key was trying to get the best setup for the conditions. Rod Carr just sent me an email. He has two sails I need to pick up...a stock set and a B set. Then I should be set.

I was just looking for that situation when your at the lake with the boat and conditions change and you only have one set of sails and need a new configuration. I tried more frontstay tension and backstay tension. the one thing I did not think of but knew better was to try adjusting the vang and cunningham and outhaul. But a heavy wind sail setup I'm sure would really help
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:30 PM
Find More Posts by Ronin055
Ah, so its THIS again. . .
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Jan 2013
473 Posts
You were just sailing in to much wind for that sail set up.

The most Ive sailed my Vela in is 22mph, and at that she was getting BEAT around the water terrible. Ill never sail in that again with this set up. It just isnt fun.

I max out at about 15 - 18 mph now a days. I prefer that sweet spot of 8-10 mph though.
Ronin055 is offline Find More Posts by Ronin055