Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 16, 2002, 03:10 PM
BOSS
New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Apr 2002
4,984 Posts
chubby lady park flyer ganna waist my money?

Well im thinking of getting the airplane. I dont want to waste my money (im only 12, been flying for three years). Right now im flying the Urban flyer from doug. I hav had it for a while and its been worth the money.

Any suggestions on the chubby lady? I wanted something slower and i think the chubby lady could be it. Just making sure i dont waist my money

Look at it here http://www.hobby-lobby.com/chubby.htm

jon
j_z_123 is offline Find More Posts by j_z_123
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2002, 03:54 PM
Boise, ID 83703
Joined May 2001
266 Posts
Albatross

You may want to look at the Albatross in the Slowflyers at Hobby Lobby. Seems to have better power for climbing out than the others if you watch the movies. I've also been told that the Robbe Stearman PT-17 is a nice biplane as well. The Albatros will have great instructions and fly well given it is a Scorpio model. I'll watch this post. I'm in the process of trying to decide on a biplane myself.
Tim Seidenstricker is offline Find More Posts by Tim Seidenstricker
Old Oct 16, 2002, 04:24 PM
Lubbock, TX
Joined Jul 2001
213 Posts
One of my friends had this plane. I would definitely say that Mig 280 motor just doesn't have enough power to fly this one comfortably. We put an M100 in it, and it did do better. It is very fragile.
ETrain is offline Find More Posts by ETrain
Old Oct 16, 2002, 05:11 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
How slow do you want to fly?

What about a Tigermoth? It is the queen of slowfly biplanes.

I have two TM and a Robbe Stearman. I much prefer the TM's. The Stearman is fragile and heavy and flies pretty fast. From reports the Scorpio kits sound better than the Robbe. You might also want to check out the Kavan kits at Hobby People.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/prdcls/eacarf01.asp

If you prefer a balsa kit that's reportedly as easy to build as the UF check out the Bantam Bipe at SR Batteries:
http://www.srbatteries.com/bantam.htm

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Oct 16, 2002, 05:47 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,701 Posts
Only 12

The Chubby Lady is a great slow flying plane for a beginner.It can handle light wind better than a Tiger Moth or Litestick.
. It needs an 8-cell 600mah NiMh battery to get enough thrust and 10 minutes duration with the stock Mig 280 and prop. You need micro r/c gear such as a Hitec 555 receiver and two HS-55 servos, and a Pixie 14 speed control. The landing gear mounting needs to be strenghtened and stiffer landing gear wire should be used. Important, glue hardwood stick braces from the sides of the fuselage to the center of each wing on top. Otherwise, the wings can crack and fold up at the fuselage when you try a dive and a loop. Use only 5 minute epoxy on the foam, CA will melt it. The included glue takes a century to cure but is ok for gluing the pilot together. The Chubby will do nice ROG's off mowed grass, lands easily, and will do loops and barrel rolls. We pylon raced ours around trash cans and attached toilet paper streamers and did combat. With an 8-cell 300mah NiMh pack,( 5 minutes) I think the CL would fly in a school gym, it is very maneuverable and easy to fly if balanced properly. Mine is two years old, beat up, heavy with epoxy repairs but still flies. Good luck with whatever you get
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Oct 16, 2002, 07:15 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Another slower balsa alternative is the Mountain Models Cessna 180. It's laser cut and powered by all the same toys as the Tiger Moth. Check www.mountainmodels.com Since you've built the Urban flyer, you already know of Mountain Models' quality with their laser cut kits.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Oct 16, 2002, 07:28 PM
San Antonio
Joined Dec 2001
410 Posts
One word... Slowstick. Flies great when trimmed, and can hover in a good breeze.
senor_paco is offline Find More Posts by senor_paco
Old Oct 16, 2002, 09:33 PM
BOSS
Joined Apr 2002
4,984 Posts
wow. that mountain models cessna looks great! I have had a tm and pulled of my first loop and inverted flight with it. I probly wont go for the chubby lady. Something that dosent climb well doesnt intrest me if you know what i mean. I want a powerful slow flyer. that cessna is now a main thought. ill keep looking.

Thanks for all the advice.

___________________-
Making foam soar

jon
Old Oct 17, 2002, 05:38 PM
BOSS
Joined Apr 2002
4,984 Posts
well i got the moutain models cessna, and im waiting for it to arrive. Thanks for all the suggestions and helping me choose a better plane.

btw dreamer you cessna looks so sweet if i had the money id pay you to cover mine and detail it. good looking plane.

thanks alot.

jon
Old Oct 17, 2002, 06:00 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Jon, good choice.

I woulda recommended the Cessna too but I thought you were looking for a biplane. Didn't know you already had a TM.

Here's mine to give you some more incentive.

Have fun, the Cessna is a joy to build. And fly!

Wayne
Old Oct 17, 2002, 06:28 PM
BOSS
Joined Apr 2002
4,984 Posts
WOW. That plane looks awsome. Whats up with the red trim? is that a decal, paint, tape?
i would love to do some decal but my airplane lhs isnt so local. i live in jersy and the closest airplane hobby shop is 35 min. away what should i use or buy.

sweet looking airplane.

jon
Old Oct 17, 2002, 06:39 PM
BOSS
Joined Apr 2002
4,984 Posts
Basketcase,

what kind of batteries do you use?

And what number of cells?

Also would qualcomes work? (im useing an ips b i think or a)

thanks

jon
Old Oct 17, 2002, 07:04 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Jon, thanks, the trim is opaque red SoLite over the white. I got it from Doug.

My favorite batteries for this plane are the 7 cell 370mah NiMH's, I get between 10 and 12 minutes with them.

The qualcom 830's work but, same as Dreamer posted in another thread, only are really flyable for 15 minutes or so. I don't really care for them in the Cessna. To me it feels like the last dying minutes of a good battery. It's like every lap around the patch I'm thinking it's going to be the last one. But it'll keep going and going and going like that for what seems like forever. Not really fun flying.

Wayne
Last edited by Basketcase; Oct 17, 2002 at 07:53 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 07:16 PM
BOSS
Joined Apr 2002
4,984 Posts
thats good i got alot of that laying around from my brother switch back. I orderd the white solite with the plane and have a couple coloers laying around, olive green,opaque red, and some tranlusent blue. ill see whats ganna happen with the coloer scheme.

thanks alot

jon
Old Oct 18, 2002, 09:30 PM
BOSS
Joined Apr 2002
4,984 Posts
BC,or DREAMER

Can you show me a birds i view of the cessna when you get a chance?

thanks

jon