Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 17, 2002, 11:48 PM
San Jose, CA.
Joined Jan 2002
899 Posts
Another FVK Bandit Video :)

Here's another attempt at filming the Bandit. The conditions aren't easy, the sun is right above and it's hard to keep the bandit in the viewfinder.

If you notice right after takeoff I let it go about 10 feet before I pull up into a vertical climb, even though it's tough to see, the Bandit continues vertical until I can't see it.

here's the video, http://www.thedayz.com/bandit.wmv

Thanks Giovanni for hosting the video

Comments welcome
ferradas is offline Find More Posts by ferradas
Last edited by ferradas; Jul 19, 2002 at 01:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2002, 12:08 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Sep 2001
75 Posts
Anglefire is giving a notice when you click the link

AnglAngelfire does not allow direct linking
from offsite, non-Angelfire pages,
to files hosted on Angelfire.
This practice of 'remote linking' reduces
our ability to serve out the homepages
of our members quickly and efficiently.

More info here.

I would love to see the video so let us know where it is

chad
crcflyer22 is offline Find More Posts by crcflyer22
Old Jul 18, 2002, 01:16 AM
Gettin back into it!!
KY
Joined Apr 2002
489 Posts
Copy the link and then past it in your address box at the top and hit enter. You will then be able to get to it.
Giovanni Day is offline Find More Posts by Giovanni Day
Old Jul 18, 2002, 02:39 AM
Joined Jun 2002
91 Posts
Got to 80% and then it temporarily suspended due to excessive bandwidth consumption, so I will try again later.

Just a question, The MASTER controllers from Hacker, would you recommend using the BEC or OPTO controller for 10 cells on the BANDIT. ???

Or a seperate receiver battery pack.

Cant wait to see the video clip, what set-up are you using. Motor, prop, cells.
helione is offline Find More Posts by helione
Old Jul 18, 2002, 08:37 AM
United States, IN, Evansville
Joined May 2001
1,765 Posts
Why did you have to go and show me that . I am going to have to get the hacker brushless setup now .

One question. You are using the Hacker B40 8S with 4.4:1 micro gear. I think you are using 8 cell 1700 packs also.

What prop and how many amps are you drawing again. Last what controller are you using? I know most of you are drawing way over 40 amps and I think you are still using the Jeti 40-3p with BEC.

Is that correct? You are not using a seperate RX battery right?

What flight times do you clock? I get about 8 minutes with my 40 amp endo setup and I have never put more than 1400mah back into the packs after a flight.

Thanks,
Kenny
kenny_dilger is offline Find More Posts by kenny_dilger
Last edited by kenny_dilger; Jul 18, 2002 at 08:39 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 09:41 AM
Joined Jun 2002
91 Posts
Very nice video, now after looking at that clip I'm going to take the plunge and get myself a BANDIT. I love the whistling sound it makes.

I want to use 10 cells CP1700 as I have two packs from a previous model. Now alls I need to know which Hacker motor, the B40-9S or the B40-8L.

And what MASTER Series Hacker controller should I purchase, the BEC or OPTO.

Looking forward to your replies.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 10:29 AM
Gettin back into it!!
KY
Joined Apr 2002
489 Posts
ferradas

Email me the video and I will post it on a no limit site of mine.

thedays03 at juno.com
Giovanni Day is offline Find More Posts by Giovanni Day
Old Jul 18, 2002, 11:37 AM
San Jose, CA.
Joined Jan 2002
899 Posts
Kenny, I'm using an Aeronaut 12x8 prop, I draw about 55 amps. I use the JES 70 3P which is a 70 amp speed controller but I know that Tic uses either the JES or the Master Series 40 Amp speed controller on his setup and he has the same motor that I do. I guess it will handle the amp draw in short bursts which is really all you need with that setup.

You won't get the motor run times of your setup but you still might get the flight times. You get up to altitude quicker which lets you shut your motor off sooner. I can average about 12 minute flights if I'm not doing constant dives, rolls, loops and all the stuff. I have 3 packs that I take with me for the Bandit, I have two 8 cell CP 1700's and a 8 cell CP 2400. I use my 2400 ( heavier ) for hot rodding and the CP 1700 for thermaling, when I can. My highest flight time with only a 1min 30sec motor run time has been over 34 minutes.

Helione- I'm not familiar with either motor but I would go with whichever one of those two that turns faster RPM. I would think that you would need more torque with bigger ships. As far as a speed controller goes, I would call Sean at Aero-Model since you'll probably be getting the Bandit from him, and ask him all the questions you want for your setup. He'll get you setup with a good combo for your packs.

I'm off to continue the Silent Dream
Old Jul 18, 2002, 01:36 PM
United States, IN, Evansville
Joined May 2001
1,765 Posts
I wish there was a way to time just when the throttle is running. It would not be accurate because of variable throttle but it would be close.

What would be even cooler would be to have a small on board system that could transmit back to your radio the exact number of mah that have been drained out of the battery...

Kenny
kenny_dilger is offline Find More Posts by kenny_dilger
Old Jul 18, 2002, 01:41 PM
San Jose, CA.
Joined Jan 2002
899 Posts
Kenny, my Futaba 8U does have the capability to time when I move the throttle past a certain point, with the Bandit it's always full throttle, If I remember correctly, I get about 2min motor run times with the CP 1700 not sure with the the CP 2400
Old Jul 18, 2002, 02:12 PM
United States
Joined May 2000
5,136 Posts
My 9Z has two timers so i set one on a switch and flip it on to time the flight. The other is set on a "stick switch" so I can do exactly what you're saying,.. time the motor "on" time. Works well, and you can see what type flight time you get compared to what motor run time you get.
After a climb with my smart, I can ask someone to tell me what the motor time was (at that altitude I don't like taking my eye off the plane) ,.. or,.. soar around a while, then do some high speed stuff, and look down when the planes a bit lower and easier to take my eye off/on.

Ferradas,.. looks like you need a lot more prop judging by the slow climb rate. I was concerned about lower flight times with my smart going from propping for 2 minutes, to propping for 1 minute, but flight times haven't changed at all. It's almost out of view at 10 seconds of motor run, versus 20 something originally. Flight times are the same now,.. but the climb rate is a LOT more impressive than it was before. prop it on up (with pitch) to get that current up to a nice level and watch it "blast off"
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Jul 18, 2002, 05:21 PM
San Jose, CA.
Joined Jan 2002
899 Posts
GWRIGHT, my bandit only takes about 10 seconds to get out of view! The video might look a bit decieving because after it starts to climb, you can't really see it anymore, then I blend in another frame with the Bandit coming into view again. It looks like a continues frame where the Bandit didn't go that high but it actually did.

I'm already drawing 55-60 amps with that motor and my cells get a good work out.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 05:47 PM
Joined Jun 2002
91 Posts
Looking at the ElecCalc figures, with 10 x CP1700 cells, Hacker B40-9S motor the 12x8 Aeronaut folding prop, is the best prop to use by so far as I can see.

All the other larger props draw to much amps and really don't show much of a performance increase when compared to using the 12x8 Aeronaut folding prop.

ferradas are you using BEC or a sepreate receiver battery pack, I'm not that familiar with the JES 70 3P. Also does your model tend to drop a wing due to the torque on take-off or do you only take-off with 50% power and then increase to full power.

What altitude in feet do you think your Bandit reaches before its almost out of sight.

What is prop stall.???

Last edited by helione; Jul 18, 2002 at 05:55 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 06:53 PM
San Jose, CA.
Joined Jan 2002
899 Posts
Quote:
ferradas are you using BEC or a sepreate receiver battery pack, I'm not that familiar with the JES 70 3P. Also does your model tend to drop a wing due to the torque on take-off or do you only take-off with 50% power and then increase to full power.

What altitude in feet do you think your Bandit reaches before its almost out of sight.

What is prop stall.???

. [/B]
You don't need a separate pack, I use BEC, when the motor cuts off, it's time to come home, thats all.

The JES 70 3P is a 70 amp BEC, if your going to run 10 cells you might want to consider it and be on the safe side. If your running in the 40-50 amp range then a Hacker Master Series MAS 40 3P should do the trick, you can get them at Aero-Model for $99.00

The Bandit does not drop a wing on launch, always launch at full power with a good strong toss into the wind.

Bandit is out of sight probably 600-700 feet, but that's a guess.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 08:21 PM
USA, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2001
238 Posts
Angelfire - yuck.

Angelfire says that the site is suspended due to excessive bandwith usage.

Aren't there places where videos can be placed without being inundated with advertisements and policed tightly for bandwidth consumption? (I don't really want an answer on this - it's a rhetorical question only... I'm disappointed that I can't access the video!)
MaxFx is offline Find More Posts by MaxFx