HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2004, 01:29 PM
Australia, VIC, Traralgon
Joined Nov 2003
302 Posts
Question
F-35 Mini Fan

Hello,

can somebody give me a hand with the C of G on this plane?

Luc
HeyLuc is offline Find More Posts by HeyLuc
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2004, 03:53 PM
How fast can balsa go?
Chilliwack B.C.
Joined Jan 2002
678 Posts
Perhaps some of the experts around here will chime in. If you don't have to worry about fuselage lift then this should be close. C of G set at 23%. You can always build a chuck glider to confirm. I will be building a fan fold foam chuck glider of the same size as my F-18 before I commit it to the catapult. I may even put servo's in it as well to test out the taileron controls.
rogwinger is offline Find More Posts by rogwinger
Old Apr 08, 2004, 08:40 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogwinger
Perhaps some of the experts around here will chime in. If you don't have to worry about fuselage lift then this should be close. C of G set at 23%. You can always build a chuck glider to confirm. I will be building a fan fold foam chuck glider of the same size as my F-18 before I commit it to the catapult. I may even put servo's in it as well to test out the taileron controls.
I wanted to check this out before I said anything, but you always want to carry the wing planform all the way to the aircraft centerline. Failure to do so will almost always result in a tail-heavy condition.

I've re-calculated the CG using the full wing planform instead of just the exposed wing area. The CG shown is 23% MAC. You also want to do this for wing area calculations.

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Apr 08, 2004, 09:23 PM
How fast can balsa go?
Chilliwack B.C.
Joined Jan 2002
678 Posts
Thanks for that Dan. I will write that down.
rogwinger is offline Find More Posts by rogwinger
Old Apr 09, 2004, 01:02 AM
Australia, VIC, Traralgon
Joined Nov 2003
302 Posts
Thanks, I'm still in the design stage, but I need to now where to place the batteries.

Does it look real?

Luc
HeyLuc is offline Find More Posts by HeyLuc
Old Apr 09, 2004, 03:44 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogwinger
Thanks for that Dan. I will write that down.
No problemo. I hate to see a perfectly good airplane crash for something as preventable as this.

Luc, No, it doesn't look real. It looks real cool.

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Apr 09, 2004, 06:32 AM
Altea la Vieja, Spain
Joined Mar 2004
62 Posts
This is what I found on internet. (ZIP-File)

http://home.germany.net/100-173822/schwerp.htm

It is a more comprehensive method but in this case the fuselage isnít part of the calculate either.
In my opinion, the fuselage, especially when talking about modern Jet-fighters, becomes more and more important if you calculating the C.G.

I am following your project with great interest, please keep us in touch.

Best regards,
Harry
Harry v. Melick is offline Find More Posts by Harry v. Melick
Old Apr 09, 2004, 10:22 AM
Joined Jan 2004
53 Posts
Hello,
Nice model By the looks of it, its the C version. I was just wondering what program did you use to make that? 3ds max? looks nice!

thanks
Mustang5 is offline Find More Posts by Mustang5
Old Apr 09, 2004, 12:41 PM
UK
Joined Mar 2000
1,197 Posts
I used the method above in the diagram but with the wing projected to the centerline of the aircraft. I also calculated the effects of the stabs and nose and they effectivly cancled each other out so find the mean aerodynamic chord (MAC) and choose your CG point (mine is at 15% MAC). I discussed this with Kevin Cox about a year ago and he confirmed this was about right, he has built and flown a midi fan f35 already. Do a search it should still be here.

Doc Watson
Doc Watson is offline Find More Posts by Doc Watson