HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:50 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,266 Posts
That frisbee idea is terriffic. You should do some with some catches, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Ok! So my #11 is like two years old and the batt needs replacing. Whos got a 1s 250 around thats any good ? Stateside?
Tom
I too need batteries. My normal supplier on eBay no longer carries the old ones that have to be soldered in place. Anyone know where to nab some new batteries?
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:56 PM
Just thumbing through...
Sunny (mostly) SC, home of the Joe Nall
Joined Feb 2009
4,327 Posts
Maybe this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Internal-Lip...item231a741c57
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:47 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,379 Posts
Thanks guy! What I did in the mean time was get a female lead from the hobby shop, cut out the old batt, make a notch for the lead to hang out, solder on and attach a eflite CX batt w/Velcro to the side for a hat cam. 160ma ought to get a few 4-5 min flights for Doppler speed checks etc! Works like a charm and best of all is, no more beep beep beep on the vid! Seems as the vid quality has improved vastly too! I forgot how good these were!
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:09 PM
The Netherlands, GE, Vorden
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
avi firmware #11V2

I used the latest firmware update, but I can only find the MOV version. Where are the other versions?

greetings...
leovz is offline Find More Posts by leovz
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:01 PM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
435 Posts
man if we could get firmware that would auto start stop with outside power (ie start engine on stop engine off) and loop record with avi for no "gap"

this would be "THE" killer CAR DVR especially with the D lens. they are so cheap and tiny you could run TWO so you get tight and wide shots.
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:07 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,266 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guy! What I did in the mean time was get a female lead from the hobby shop, cut out the old batt, make a notch for the lead to hang out, solder on and attach a eflite CX batt w/Velcro to the side for a hat cam. 160ma ought to get a few 4-5 min flights for Doppler speed checks etc! Works like a charm and best of all is, no more beep beep beep on the vid! Seems as the vid quality has improved vastly too! I forgot how good these were!
Are you charging via the cam's USB port? Or pulling the battery off to charge elsewhere?
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:16 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,379 Posts
Doesn't matter now anyway. the cam is a POS dead frickin brick. I can get it to turn on and off, I can hold the button till it flashes and as soon as I press the button to snap a shot it turns off. After turning it on I have to reset to get it to turn on again, I hit the record button, it blinks three times and turns off. The internal charger is toast as I did remove and charge it at 2a(160ma batt) on a friends adapter to 4.2v and still it don't do nuttin but sit there aggravating me....
Whats better these days the 16 or 18? I see the 18 has some bastardized plug. why not a mini usb like everyone else?
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,458 Posts
Quote:
Doesn't matter now anyway. the cam is a POS dead frickin brick. I can get it to turn on and off, I can hold the button till it flashes and as soon as I press the button to snap a shot it turns off. After turning it on I have to reset to get it to turn on again, I hit the record button, it blinks three times and turns off. The internal charger is toast as I did remove and charge it at 2a(160ma batt) on a friends adapter to 4.2v and still it don't do nuttin but sit there aggravating me....
Whats better these days the 16 or 18? I see the 18 has some bastardized plug. why not a mini usb like everyone else?
The #16 mini USB plug is WAY better and standard. IMO.

I expect your #11 is toast because of the non-standard and finicky 8-pin plug. That can happen to any camera if you get the connections wrong. That's why a standard 5-pin USB plug is so much better - it's standard!

My personal choice is the #16 because it's so flexible. I would by lying if I would recommend the #18, but the choice is yours. Both take excellent video, but the #16 exceeds in it's flexibility - and the 5-pin USB plug.

If you are not 100% sure of what you are doing, I also suggest you only use the internal battery supplied with the camera - or a replacement from the #16 seller.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:01 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
man if we could get firmware that would auto start stop with outside power (ie start engine on stop engine off) and loop record with avi for no "gap"

this would be "THE" killer CAR DVR especially with the D lens. they are so cheap and tiny you could run TWO so you get tight and wide shots.
I have to admit, I'm intrigued by the functionality of needing a driving recorder. Why is one needed at all? Maybe it's due to local differences in state or country laws, but the places I've lived, my car insurance pays for damages no matter who is at fault, and police reports, etc. can be used to determine fault. That's something the insurance company has to figure out as to whether to subrogate against the other driver and/or their insurance company.

The developer has already giving the ability to start the camera by simply pressing the power on button. Having it record as soon as power is applied circumvents the other features of the camera, e.g. photos and webcam use. If you want a camera that does all that you want, buy one dedicated to that purpose.

I have no need whatsoever for an ignition start/stop camera to record everywhere I happen to drive. Besides, this has nothing to do with the purpose of this thread, which is aerial photography from RC planes! It seems this prime purpose, stated in the very first post in this thread everyone is asked to read before posting, has been lost. Sorry, but this has to be re-stated every couple of months when the thread posts start to get way off topice from the purpose of this thread, and this entire forum.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Aug 19, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:40 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,140 Posts
Speaking of the above...but keeping it in the R/C realm...

A feature I'd see someone invent for the #11,16 or #18 is a *simple* way to-
1/Power the camera from the flight pack and
2/Somehow be able to get it start/stop recording by using a HK switch using Ch5,6,7,8
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8833

That way once you are ready fly, you power up the plane which also powers up the CAM.
Then when ready to record, hit an Aux Channel to start recording.
After landing or the *crash* you can leave it recording for post the mortem until you stop recording by flicking the Aux Ch off.
*Or the recording is stopped by the crash!!*

I know there are already similar ideas floating around some in Tom's Keycam threads, but they are hard to find and complicated to boot.
I might have an try an honest go at creating something when I get the time, and my health improves.

-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:01 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Speaking of the above...but keeping it in the R/C realm...

A feature I'd see someone invent for the #11,16 or #18 is a *simple* way to-
1/Power the camera from the flight pack and
2/Somehow be able to get it start/stop recording by using a HK switch using Ch5,6,7,8
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8833

That way once you are ready fly, you power up the plane which also powers up the CAM.
Then when ready to record, hit an Aux Channel to start recording.
After landing or the *crash* you can leave it recording for post the mortem until you stop recording by flicking the Aux Ch off.
*Or the recording is stopped by the crash!!*

I know there are already similar ideas floating around some in Tom's Keycam threads, but they are hard to find and complicated to boot.
I might have an try an honest go at creating something when I get the time, and my health improves.

-B!LL!
Is your camera in an inaccessible place in your plane? I find it easy to just turn it on when I connect my flight lipo, turn it off manually when I land, and edit out the pieces I don't want.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:50 PM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
435 Posts
but I like THESE camera's and these camera's have OTHER advantages.

insanely small inconspicuous size and shape no screen and CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP I can't AFFORD to put 4 or 5 good dedicated dvr's in my car. (about $120-$140 a pop minumum for anything that does not suck) closer to $200 for really decent reliable units. (if you want HD)

I CAN afford to put 4 or 5 of THESE in my car not to speak of having enough SPACE for that many (with these its easy) ESPECIALLY now that they have a model with the 120' lens (D Lens)

as to why? well #1 reason is I am a gadget geek and love pictures/video

#2 is protects me. if someone does something stupid I can defend myself with evidence. I have already had 2 "red light" tickets thrown out (both cases it was green the entire time not even yellow this was before they were required to have the LIGHT in the photo with your car)

and I have had several cops "reprimanded" by judges when they stopped me for NO REASON except their "hunch" and used the no seat belt or went over the line BS excuse.

but thats actually pretty minor. I drive 40,000 miles a year minimum you would be amazed what you "see" on the road sometimes and I can capture it with this since its "already running"

caught video of a guy running from the police he hit one of those concrete angled dividers and went airborne to about 7 feet (does that count as AV :-) hehehe it was before I got the HD unit but it was still neat to capture.

Its just fun and these cams would greatly increase that fun but there is 2 features you REALLY must have to make them useful.

#1 loop recording ie record in chunks (AVI so no gaps) and then eat your own tail looping over to record constantly.

#2 auto start stop. key on (power applied) start and begin recording key off power off camera stops recording.

at the MINIMUM you need power applied auto start. its ok if it "runs" after key off and kills the battery as long as key on again does not make it angry if its already running :-)

once you have those 2 features its "transparent" you never EVER have to touch it. EVER. it just "runs" and when something "interesting" happens you yank the sd card and download that clip.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:30 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,642 Posts
I guess you could just mount one on your head or hat and record your entire life, but when would you have the time to watch it (including the video taken of you watching it....)?
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:49 PM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
435 Posts
actually I plan to do exactly that.

I would "never" really watch the video.

I would simply delete it and restart the next day. the point would be if something "interesting" happens then I would review grab the interesting clip and delete the rest.

the idea would be to capture those spontaneous moments you can NEVER get the "camera" ready in time for. if the camera is always recording you simply need to "SEE" it and you "GOT IT" with such a rig.

figure a 2000mah battery should be enough and a 32gig card will give 10 hours.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 03:10 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,642 Posts
Wow, future historians will have some fun with the "artifacts" left by this generation. I think I heard the other day that the total amount of data held in the world is doubling every 2 years - frankly I'm surprised its that slow given the data created by HD video. Who will ever read/watch it, and how will they, even if they wanted to, given that each information storage technology seems to become obsolete every 5 years or so (try reading an 8" floppy disk or playing a 78rpm record) . Also, the problem with "interesting" is that historians may not realise that it is until many years later - imagine you had by accident taken some footage of a very young Marilyn Monroe. Best of luck! I won't be joining you.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Closed Thread