HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2007, 03:58 AM
Expat Canuck
Faial, Azores
Joined Oct 2006
550 Posts
Contest
Build Off: Fleet Model 80 Canuck

I chose the Fleet Canuck for my project for largely nostalgic reasons. It is a little known aircraft outside Canada, but a generation of students in the 50's and 60's learned on this plane—I earned my Private Pilot's Licence on one in 1959. When most flying students in the US or Britain were talking over their shoulders to their instructors or looking at the backs of their necks, in the Canuck we were sitting comfortably side-by-side—unusual for the period.
The Canuck had an 85 HP Continental and was very ruggedly built with bush operations in mind (In fact it was stressed to an unusually high g number—I don't remember the actual figure. It remains the only plane I have ever looped, but don't tell my instructor—we were young an reckless then!)

The Canuck first flew in 1945, but unfortunately Fleet got into financial difficulties and production ceased in 1947. Only 225 were built, but it is a tribute to the Canuck's quality that over 70 remain on the books in Canada and, I believe, one in England.

It could be rapidly switched between wheels, floats and skis and came from the factory in any colour as long as it was yellow and blue!

I have built a number of sport models of my own design, but this is my first scale effort; that is why I chose a relatively simple design, although with it's triangular fin and rudder and concave lower rear longeron it is quite distinctive. The model will be 1/12 scale (34” span) for rudder elevator control and will, I hope, be of the light and floaty variety. It will be of CF-DPI, the plane in which I first soloed and will, of course, be yellow and blue.

Don't expect any construction posts too soon, as I am completing a Mike Roach Airco DH-2 to make space for the Canuck project and I am not a particularly fast worker.

Roly
Milhafre is offline Find More Posts by Milhafre
Last edited by Milhafre; Jan 07, 2007 at 03:59 AM. Reason: To correct grammar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2007, 09:10 AM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,644 Posts
I like this one! The fact that you have personal experience learning to fly with one makes it an extra good choice. Got any pictures back from when you were flying them? Good luck, Steve
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin
Old Jan 07, 2007, 12:12 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,500 Posts
Roly, Great choice! do you plan to build the canoe to strap to the floats too? That would definitely be a terrific addition the the overall scale apeal of the finished model.

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Jan 07, 2007, 12:14 PM
Expat Canuck
Faial, Azores
Joined Oct 2006
550 Posts
thanks Steve:
I wish I did have some pictures but I don't. I had an 8mm cine-camera but I sold it to help pay for flying lessons!

Pat:
Actually I'm building the land-plane version. Perhaps I'll try floats later, trouble is there are no lakes on this island. My choices are the open ocean which is seldom calm enough, or our swimming pool which is only 10 metres long and has trees at one end—not much of an overshoot area, especially with my flying skills.

....I wonder how light I could make that canoe!?

Roly
Last edited by Milhafre; Jan 07, 2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2007, 12:49 PM
It actually Flies!
Salmon Arm, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Feb 2006
548 Posts
Excellent choice Roly,

Looking very forward to this build as I got the chance to fly one a long while back. It is a great design and can't wait to see it in traditional "Blue and Yellow".

There is not a prettier aircraft on floats as far as I am concerned with the squeezed tail.

Float
Float Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Float Flyer
Old Jan 10, 2007, 03:11 AM
Expat Canuck
Faial, Azores
Joined Oct 2006
550 Posts
A bit of a delay here as I have discovered the two 3-views I am working from differ in a couple of important details: wing-tip shape and fuselage to wing trailing edge join. Need a third opinion as a tie-breaker so have ordered another 3-view from Bob Banka. Hope I don't get a third alternative!

And because of the $20 minimum I have ordered 3-views for a future build-off project.

Roly
Old Jan 10, 2007, 07:33 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,500 Posts
Roly, I'd just about bet the new 3 views will offer a different opinion too. The best bet is to select the one that will be the easiest to build and go with that. Being basically lazy, that's my favorite approach, and if the model is judged at a contest, have it judged against the 3 views it was drawn to and you'll be in good shape.

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Jan 11, 2007, 05:41 PM
Joined Oct 2001
217 Posts
I can possibly help you out with some photo's of the Canuck flying. Let me know if you would like them posted.
Glenn
electroflyer is offline Find More Posts by electroflyer
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:12 AM
Expat Canuck
Faial, Azores
Joined Oct 2006
550 Posts
Pat
That's the way I will probably go!

Glenn
I can use any help I can get. I am trying to figure out the transition from a basically slab-sided fuselage with a rounded bottom at the doors, to multi-stringered aft of the wing. This area always seems to be in the shadow of the wing and hard to make out

Roly
Old Jan 13, 2007, 08:29 PM
Joined Oct 2001
217 Posts
Here you go Roly,

I bought a magazine six years ago because I wanted to build the same aircraft. Good Luck and keep us all informed. By the way many more photo's are possible. Let me know.

Glenn
electroflyer is offline Find More Posts by electroflyer
Old Jan 13, 2007, 08:33 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,730 Posts
You know, one of the best things I can see coming out of this build contest is all the help people are getting from each other on this stuff. Great information pools out there!

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jan 13, 2007, 09:42 PM
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
174 Posts
Local Canuck

A friend up here owns a Canuck - if you need, I could get photos and measurements direct from his to confirm your plans. His CF-DPH is also on the Canuck webpage at:

http://members.tripod.com/pcmuseum/dc3/canuckother.htm

Regards,
John
yukon john is offline Find More Posts by yukon john
Old Jan 14, 2007, 04:08 AM
Expat Canuck
Faial, Azores
Joined Oct 2006
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
You know, one of the best things I can see coming out of this build contest is all the help people are getting from each other on this stuff. Great information pools out there!

charlie
Charlie I couldn't agree with you more; I am overwhelmed by all this support I am getting and I am touched by the affection I see for this plane that I thought largely forgotten.

To Dave who sent me a PM, to Glenn, Yukon John, Steve, Float Flyer, Pat thanks to all of you for your support.

Haven't done a lot on the Canuck project except think about it (and that's important!) and do some preliminary sketches. I am still finishing the DH 2 and I am a slow worker, but while the glue is drying I wander over to the computer and fiddle with the Canuck plans.

Roly
Old Jan 21, 2007, 03:48 AM
Expat Canuck
Faial, Azores
Joined Oct 2006
550 Posts
A sticky question!

Plans for the Canuck are well in hand, but I have a question. I want to use a technique that I have used in (full size) boat building where the frames are kept in alignment during construction on temporary legs pinned to the building board. My question is how to make these legs easily removable from the frames later. Is there a glue that can be easily dissolved? Water soluble? On the boats the legs were simply unbolted, but this is not practical at this scale. I have used hot glue for temporary joints before and then just sliced them apart with a razor-blade, but in this case later access will be difficult.

If there is a solution, one of you will have it!

Thanks, Roly.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 05:59 AM
Toulouse
Joined Jan 2007
240 Posts
Roly,

Try looking at Philp Noel's builds - Mosquito, Hornet, Tigercat, Mitchell. He uses that technique with temporary struts.

Jerry
expat flyer is offline Find More Posts by expat flyer