HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2006, 03:13 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Build Log
Thunder Tiger F8F Bearcat

I received the Thunder Tiger F8F Bearcat today. It's very impressive. It's got a 63" wingspan and has a fiberglass fuselage with built-up balsa wings and horizontal stabs. It's got retracts, flaps and a steerable tail wheel. The wing is a two -piece affair with the single retract servo joined with ball links.

The model is very nicely detailled. There are plastic pieces to cover the oil cooler inlets and even the gear axles. It seems to be well assembled. The covering is tight and no scratches on the gelcoat anywhere.

I'm going to use a Hextronic 50-68 motor (similar to AXI 4130/20), APC 15x10 E prop, a CC Phx 45 ESC and 9s2p 4200 TP PL lipos. RTF weight is advertised at 9.9 lbs. I seriously doubt I'm going to come even close to that because the batteries alone weigh 30 ounces. I expect to come in at 11+ lbs which should still perform nicely and land easy with the flaps.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2006, 03:26 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,530 Posts
Thunder,

I've been waiting for a scale .60 size Bearcat to come out for some time. Have you compared your model to a scale side view by any chance? I was wondering how accurate it is.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Sep 29, 2006, 04:26 PM
N.J.
Joined Jul 2006
33 Posts
Looks nice from the pics.
I`ve been thinking about getting this Bearcat for sometime now.
Can you tell me how much the Bearcat cost you and where you got it??
Are the retracts installed already and how do they look(strong)?
If you can, take some more pics. and of the decal sheet.
Thanks.
bigdaddy is offline Find More Posts by bigdaddy
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:10 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I don't see the point in comparing this model with a drawing. The model is scale enough for me. It's exactly what I was looking for. I had a Dymond F8F and it was .40 sized and pretty similar in construction. The elevators flutter off in a dive and it was destroyed. This one is only 10" more wingspan but you could probably fit the old fuselage inside of this one.

The model can be ordered through a LHS. The dealer list can be found here:
http://www.acehobby.com/ace/dealerslist.asp

I got the model for about $300 delivered. It's available online as well:
http://www.thundertiger4u.com/thunde...e-p-12709.html

The retracts are not installed but they are a drop-in fit. The kit comes with scale wheel well liners and gear doors. The tail wheel doesn't retract but it's in a scale locations and is steerable. A retractable tail wheel would be easy to install.

Here's a picture of the kit contents.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:17 PM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1
9s2p 4200 TP PL lipos.
The 4130/20 is rated only to 8S. You might be better off with a 5320 or 5330. Then you could go 10S (if needed) for more performance.
Ed
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly
Old Sep 29, 2006, 08:50 PM
N.J.
Joined Jul 2006
33 Posts
Thanks thunder1.
Keep us updated on your Bearcat.
bigdaddy is offline Find More Posts by bigdaddy
Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:47 AM
MG ZS180 proud owner
Balaguer in Lérida - Spain
Joined Jul 2005
569 Posts
Thunder1 nice choice with no doubt.

Keep us updated on your progress...don't be shy

Alex
Alex B is offline Find More Posts by Alex B
Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:11 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I was going over the manual last night and noticed it says that 800g of weight needs to be added to the nose in order to get the correct CG! That happens to be just about the same weight as my batteries (30oz) So I decided to weigh the individual components.

Fuselage: 970g
Pli formers: 147g
Canopy/hatch: 135
Wings with servos, retracts, wheels: 620g each 1240g total
Cowl: 130g
H. stabs, Elevators, Rudder: 152g
Tailwheel: 28g

2802g or 98.8 oz. or 6.17 lbs.

My motor (16oz), ESC (2oz) and batts (30oz)weigh 3 lbs. Add another 6 ounces for the motor mount box and 2 ounces for the prop and we're up to 3.5 lbs. So, if I can get the batteries far enough forward to balance without weight, then I could actually come in at the listed weight of 9.9 lbs. That weight is usually dry so I'll actually be lighter than the RTF glow setup;-)
Old Oct 01, 2006, 01:04 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
The wheel well covers look nice.

My dog wants to go for a sortie.
Old Oct 01, 2006, 04:36 AM
guillows basher!!
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Feb 2004
962 Posts
do'nt forget to put his leather flight cap and goggles on seriously thou,fwiw i had the rare bear from same manufacturer,beware the big ele.(if their the same design) they induce alot of vibration from flutter which equals a whole lot o shakin goin on, i lost mine due to this
esb-help is offline Find More Posts by esb-help
Old Oct 01, 2006, 08:24 AM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,700 Posts
If flutter is a problem with this model I would suggest putting some carbon between the stab and elevator. A little carbon will make it stiff and add very little weight.

Jeff
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Oct 01, 2006, 03:01 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I'm aware of the flutter problem. I've read a bunch of threads concerning the problem. The manufacturer has apparently solved the flutter problem. I'll believe that when I see it, though.

The other bearcat I had exhibited the same flutter problem. The elevators ripped off in an 80+ MPH dive. I believe it's inherent in the F8F design, due to lack of fairings which cause turbulence at high speeds. The flutter had happened once before the crash. I stiffened up the horizontal stab and all that did was make the problem worse.

I'll make sure the elevator linkage is as slop free as possible. One suggestion was to use counter balances to eliminate flutter. If I get flutter, that's the first thing I'll try.
Old Oct 01, 2006, 03:37 PM
MG ZS180 proud owner
Joined Jul 2005
569 Posts
I might sound silly but what does flutter mean ?

Alex
Old Oct 01, 2006, 08:45 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Here's a link:
http://www.giantscaleplanes.com/flutter.htm
Old Oct 02, 2006, 01:02 AM
MG ZS180 proud owner
Joined Jul 2005
569 Posts
Thunder1 thanks I'll have a read when I'm back from work.

Alex