HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2014, 06:11 PM
Joined Jun 2010
60 Posts
Discussion
Chinese CNC Router

I am looking to add a CNC Router to my shop are these small table top routers worth the money?? I am looking to cut small parts ( control horns,hinges etc.) out of G10 or carbon fiber i get a lot of requests for these parts with the kits i sell. I have 2 100watt lasers 1 CNC Foam cutting machine, would like to add a router,
Your thougths

Pat
Lasercut USA
pjf610 is offline Find More Posts by pjf610
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2014, 09:50 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,301 Posts
I think a router is worthwhile. I never had a Chinese router. There are a few on this forum that have the 6040 size. A search for 6040 router will pull up a few. The major complaint was with the electronics.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Oct 09, 2014, 08:57 AM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,469 Posts
Go here: http://www.cnczone.com/

You will get a LOT more info on those machines from actual users there than here.

Tom
T_om is offline Find More Posts by T_om
Old Oct 09, 2014, 09:31 AM
Joined Jun 2010
60 Posts
Thanks Tom

Pat
Old Oct 09, 2014, 10:51 AM
Albuq, NMex USA
Joined Jan 2001
600 Posts
Pat,

I went through this two years ago, and decided against a Chinese router. I ended up with a Zenbot router. An excellent machine.

http://www.zenbotcnc.com/

Mike
MikeC is offline Find More Posts by MikeC
Old Oct 09, 2014, 11:57 AM
Joined Jun 2010
60 Posts
Hi Mike, Thanks for the info i am not to keen on a Chinese machine, i am also looking at openbuild and maybe going to build one to my specs if i cannot find anything,thanks for all your help

Pat
Lasercut USA
Old Oct 09, 2014, 12:07 PM
Joined Jun 2010
60 Posts
Hi Mike, One other question on the Zenbot, are you happy with the belt drive system?? Can it be converted to a ball screw application??

Pat
Old Oct 09, 2014, 12:08 PM
Joined Jun 2010
60 Posts
Hi Mike, One other question on the Zenbot, are you happy with the belt drive system?? Can it be converted to a ball screw application??

Pat
Old Oct 10, 2014, 02:21 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,284 Posts
Ive got the chinese 3040Z router. It has the black control box and has worked flawlessly for a year.
If i were to do it again, i would get the 6040 with the water cooled spindle. The 3040Z has ballscrews instead of threaded rods and a 300watt air cooled spindle. It does fine for most all materials (i have cut G-10, solid carbon plate, aircraft ply, balsa) you just have to adjust the speeds for the material. It doesnt do well with more than a .090" cutting depth with a 1/16" 4 flute bit either in anything other than balsa.
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Oct 10, 2014, 08:15 PM
Albuq, NMex USA
Joined Jan 2001
600 Posts
Pat,

The belt drive is fast and very accurate. The owner of the company is very responsive if a question arises. The package he sells is very high quality. When I purchased my 18"X36" Zenbot (custum size) I know nothing about CNC machining, and was looking for a tool not another hobby. I was cutting ribs the first night I had it. I would not bother to change to ball screws after nearly two years of use. But to answer your question, it could be changed i guess. I really think there are advantages buying from a US company. For your stated use, it would be ideal. My main use now is cutting 3d wing, stab and fus molds out of MDF. A top half of a 32"x9" wing panel with a 9% airfoil takes about 2.5 hours, and requires very little finishing. Balsa ribs 1/8" thick are normally cut at 80 ipm (will go faster) with a 1/32" bit. As I recall cutting ribs, as many as would fit ona 4"X24" sheet of balsa took less than three minutes. For the harder materials we normally use in modelling, I think it will break a bit before it misses a step. I once cut some quad parts for a friend out of Plexiglass and used three passes for each part. Each cut was exactly the same path as the first-very accurate. Send Shaun an email with any technical questions you may have.

BTW my avatar is a sailplane built with ribs cut on the Zenbot, and the vert and horiz stab molded from molds that were also made with the machine.

Mike
Last edited by MikeC; Oct 10, 2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:40 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
My main use now is cutting 3d wing, stab and fus molds out of MDF. A top half of a 32"x9" wing panel with a 9% airfoil takes about 2.5 hours, and requires very little finishing. BTW my avatar is a sailplane built with ribs cut on the Zenbot, and the vert and horiz stab molded from molds that were also made with the machine.
Mike
Your selection criteria sounds like mine, I wanted a cnc to do modelling work, not an ongoing maintenance & upgrade 'relationship' Seems every year I kick this can down the road & defer a cnc purchase hoping some reasonably priced 'service' will come to my rescue . If you have plug/mold work pics/links, I'd be interested to see. Also, what's your cad & cam software choice? Done any aluminum work?
ptxman is offline Find More Posts by ptxman
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:00 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,301 Posts
Yea, that reasonably priced service is hard to find. They kept raising the price on me until I bought a mill.
I would also like a router, but haven't decided. I was thinking of the Shapeoko 2, and stretching it to a larger machine.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Oct 12, 2014, 09:25 AM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjf610 View Post
I am looking to add a CNC Router to my shop are these small table top routers worth the money?? I am looking to cut small parts ( control horns,hinges etc.) out of G10 or carbon fiber i get a lot of requests for these parts with the kits i sell. I have 2 100watt lasers 1 CNC Foam cutting machine, would like to add a router,
Your thougths

Pat
Lasercut USA
I built mine from 80/20 purchased from eBay. I am almost done building it, I got a little sidetracked with some medical issues but I do think it is the way to go since you can build it to suit yourself... You select the table size, and the spindle for the job. Mine I am looking to add a laser diode to for some small parts.

http://www.cncrouterparts.com/ has some kits, Rather than buy the kit I looked at their plans and bought my 80/20 parts on ebay and my linear parts from CNC router parts and some we made here.

The 80/20 garage sale.
http://stores.ebay.com/8020-Inc-Gara...p2047675.l2563

I am using a Gecko drive 540 and a usb Smoothstepper board under MACH3
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I am back, such as it is...
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:36 PM
Albuq, NMex USA
Joined Jan 2001
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptxman View Post
Your selection criteria sounds like mine, I wanted a cnc to do modelling work, not an ongoing maintenance & upgrade 'relationship' Seems every year I kick this can down the road & defer a cnc purchase hoping some reasonably priced 'service' will come to my rescue . If you have plug/mold work pics/links, I'd be interested to see. Also, what's your cad & cam software choice? Done any aluminum work?
Loaded a photo of a stab mold half onto my blog. The black color is a guide coat to ensure even final sanding.

For 2d file generation I use Turbo Cad to generate .dxf files, for 3d mold creation, Profili and Dev Wing Mold, to generate .stl files.

To convert .stl files to .nc, I use Mesh Cam, and load the .nc files onto my work computer running Mach 3.

No aluminum cutting by me, although the Zenbot can do it within its limitations, which means shallow cuts. Routers are generally used for non metallic work, and CNC Mills for metal.

Mike
Last edited by MikeC; Oct 12, 2014 at 01:12 PM. Reason: added stab mold info
Old Oct 12, 2014, 01:28 PM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
Loaded a photo of a stab mold half onto my blog. The black color is a guide coat to ensure even final sanding.

For 2d file generation I use Turbo Cad to generate .dxf files, for 3d mold creation, Profili and Dev Wing Mold, to generate .stl files.

To convert .stl files to .nc, I use Mesh Cam, and load the .nc files onto my work computer running Mach 3.

No aluminum cutting by me, although the Zenbot can do it within its limitations, which means shallow cuts. Routers are generally used for non metallic work, and CNC Mills for metal.

Mike
You don't paint the mold so what you make in it comes out painted?
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I am back, such as it is...