Old Aug 18, 2014, 04:50 AM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,484 Posts
Discussion
3DHS brand for 3D but Which airframe ??

Hi all,

Been considering a 3DHS plane,have not had one before,so many choices,any reccomendations as i know nothing about them,I want a large light and powerful airframe,would even consider Gas also....would like the plane to be a good precision flyer also,If you are giving me a reccomendation plane i would like an idea of throw on the surfaces etc to get an idea.

Thanks in advance,been looking at this one?

-Dan
flightpunch34 is offline Find More Posts by flightpunch34
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2014, 06:44 AM
Serial Lurker
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
167 Posts
126" Slick or 120" Extra LX

lol

Budget?
Olie is online now Find More Posts by Olie
Old Aug 18, 2014, 09:29 AM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,484 Posts
Hahaha...

Budget flexable,thing is i havn't a clue about these planes,I would like a big enough airframe,maybe 60cc or the elec equivalent.......

I would be interested to hear budgets and what to expect to pay.

I also see on this forum that 3DHS planes are very popular,so surely someone can chime in and tell me what they went for there first 3DHS plane and how it went for them.

Thanks
-Dan
Last edited by flightpunch34; Aug 18, 2014 at 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 18, 2014, 07:19 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,572 Posts
It would help if we knew your size/budget parameters.
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Aug 19, 2014, 04:25 AM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,484 Posts
Ok say for example between 70" & 90" , maybe starting out with an over all budget of 800euros.......
Old Aug 19, 2014, 06:27 AM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,315 Posts
Google says that 800 euros is about $1070.00. A 71 slick is $440. An 89" slick is $730. The rule of thumb seems to be the total cost is 2-3 times the cost of the airframe. So I think your budget matches the 70" end of your range much better than the 90" end, and even then it might get a little tight.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Aug 19, 2014, 08:00 AM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,484 Posts
Aeroken,

Thanks for that,I see what you mean,i suppose i would be willing to pay 500 odd for the airframe and spec it out then...

So how does these planes fly if you havn't flown one before,they look to fly unreal??

Who would be closest stockist to buy from if i am in ireland,I highly doubt there is any distriubtor here in ireland for these range of planes.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:15 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightpunch34 View Post
Aeroken,

Thanks for that,I see what you mean,i suppose i would be willing to pay 500 odd for the airframe and spec it out then...

So how does these planes fly if you havn't flown one before,they look to fly unreal??

Who would be closest stockist to buy from if i am in ireland,I highly doubt there is any distriubtor here in ireland for these range of planes.
i believe there is a UK distributer. if you are looking for precision and 3D mix, I think the extras are really hard to beat. a 72" extra for the 30cc class, or an 87 extra for the 50cc class. maybe give us a clue of what style of flying you want to do, that would be helpful. to be honest I don't think you will be disappointed with any of them.
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:05 AM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

Been considering a 3DHS plane,have not had one before,so many choices,any reccomendations as i know nothing about them,I want a large light and powerful airframe,would even consider Gas also....would like the plane to be a good precision flyer also,If you are giving me a reccomendation plane i would like an idea of throw on the surfaces etc to get an idea.

-Dan
I have both the 74-in Edge and the 71-in slick, 6s electric. I like the Slick better. Will be converting the Edge to gas, maybe a DA 35. I have flown a lot of the 3dhs planes in 7X size and lower, like the 71-in slick the best, followed by the 65-in Vyper, then tie between 68-in Velox and 74-in Edge.
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:20 PM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

-Dan
double post oops
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:40 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,602 Posts
My recommendation is to get yourself a 71 slick and don't look back
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:20 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,484 Posts
Thanks very much for the feedback,Which power system you lads think,I currently fly a 35cc but find the engine takes time to spool up (example pull out of a hover etc) Is this to be expected with all gas engines,I find it ok but you know gas is never going to be anywhere near the on the rail power of electric.
But then on the other hand i'm confused because i love the engine and sound and whole thing just about having the engine,I also like to hear the sound of the engine when i fly in rolling harrier etc.

I presume these planes are lighter,this was my assumption here,so the gas engine wouldn't have the same lag.

I am in to 3D type flying mixed with precision.

Here is the type of flying i do,this is a great plane but it's large and heavy for extreme 3D,for it's size it's awesome and an excellent 3D plane,but you know the type of rapid 3D performace i am wanting next.

Anyway,for who asked this is the sort of flying i normally try to do.

cheers
-Dan

Hangar-9 33cc Inverza -- *Pushing it* -- 3D/Aerobatic mix by -Dan & Nicola (8 min 35 sec)
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:41 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
Joined Aug 2004
9,468 Posts
in the 30cc size class I would go electric. 50cc is a toss up
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2014, 04:22 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,484 Posts
To be honest i was giving it thought,as it would be all out 3D on this airframe i would probably go with electric,so what is the story and the most popular stuff used on these airframes? I hear hacker is a good motor?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 04:24 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
Joined Aug 2004
9,468 Posts
being overseas, yes, I would go with hacker. seems like a hacker a60-6xs on 6s is a pretty awesome setup, especially if you want all out 3D. it will keep everything nice and light
RCG Plus Member