SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:34 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
Discussion
shread rc lipo

So, is it really worth it? They do seem really nice, with the arming/charging plug, low voltage and voltage buzzer and built in charging circuit. IMO being able to recharge with a 3s lipo is pretty handy.
txg8gxp is offline Find More Posts by txg8gxp
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:47 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
887 Posts
I have 2 DLG both fitted with them. I wouldnt hesitate t use them again, and am in fact thinking of installing one in a slope plane that I know will be an infrequent flyer.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:19 AM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2011
789 Posts
I just wish they were more readily available....they are awesome - but hard to come by
gtrbaby is offline Find More Posts by gtrbaby
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:43 AM
99 problems but DLG ain't 1
United States, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Aug 2011
482 Posts
Shread, great batteries, IMHO.

I have 5 (4 x 450mah and 1 x 650mah) love the convenience.

Lots of field charging options: car battery, 2S or 3S Lipo, My personal fav: 12V solar panel

Charge status can be had by disarming and rearming the battery, convenient when out in a field.

1 year warranty is nice - have replaced 1 out of 5 (the 650mah)

They are spendy compared to some other options, but worth it if you like the convenience factors.

I haven't bought one in several months, but they are usually readily available from Barry at Kennedy Composites - for U.S. customers anyway.

J
Scrib is online now Find More Posts by Scrib
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:55 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,593 Posts
I have 3 of them right now and just sold another in my Blaster. I've been using them almost exclusively for nearly a year now. My opinion is that they are very convenient and I like that. They are probably the most convenient battery system available. You can can charge them from a little 2S Lipo or you can use a larger 3S lipo like the 8000 mah one I have been using all summer. I haven't even had to recharge the big lipo once this season. Course, I didn't start using it until June. You can also charge them from a car battery or any 12V DC power source. Since the charger is built in you just connect, listen for the charge licks and walk away untill you hear the all finished charging beeps. Plus, there is an audible charge state indicator. It beeps every so many seconds letting you know it's still good to go.

But... It is spendy and I don't know if I'd be tempted to use that little lipo next year. I'm sure the rest of it's still OK but they don't give you any easy method of checking the battery or any easy method of switching out the electronics to a new cell. So in my case, four $59 dollar packs cost nearly $240 and they are only good for one season. That's not too good.
I also have a friend that has had some trouble getting the warranty honored. Fortunately, I haven't had to put the customer service on these to the test.

Next season I'm planning on just running a simple 1 cell lipo on a switch jack. I may buy a Dimension Engineering voltage converter to step the system up to 5 volts. I haven't decided on that part just yet.

So I like them but they are too expensive, IMHO for what they are. If they would separate the electronics from the battery I'd be more likely to buy that portion and then buy my own batteries.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Aug 2011
482 Posts
Why would you only use these for 1 season? Typically, lipos can go through hundreds of charge cycles... The low-voltage cutoff and charge circuitry should ensure that the cell has a relatively 'easy' life. Even if capacity drops, you'll still know when your time is up by the audible alarms. Is there something else that I'm not thinking of? Or just a 1 year rule of thumb? Just checking-

J
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:16 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,593 Posts
For me it's a one year rule of thumb thing with cheap lipos powering my radios. Think about it, you have essentially a $2 lipo stuck to $57 worth of electronics that are responsible for your $700-$1500 plane.... and you cant really check the condition of the battery outside of some beeps. You can't really put the lipo into a storage charge for the off season either because you can't connect to the battery directly. You are probably OK using them for a second season but I'm not willing to take the risk. The cheap part is the weak link and I feel more comfortable having direct access to that part but like so many things in this hobby, your mileage may vary.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
482 Posts
Interesting. I pretty much fly year-round so the storage charging is not a big deal. I guess I don't have an inherent mis-trust of the $2 lipo. In other devices they last for 2 to 3 years under frequent usage (laptop, cell phone...) and generally show regular declining capacity rather than catastrophic sudden failure. This as you well note, is only my experience and certainly there are plenty of folks who have different experiences. I guess, much like John McCain, I'm a real maverick when it comes to lipo trust. haha.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
That is a very good point, everyone knows lipo cell go back, I'm sure we have all been there. Now instead of replacing a cheap 1s or 2s lipo you have to replace a $50+ unit. I like the idea of a 1s lipo with a DE LVBoost. I have used DE stuff in the past and like their products. The main thing Shread has going for them is the charging circuit IMO, very cool to just hook up a 3s to charge but with that said the price of the unit you could have 2-3 standard lipos already charged before you head to the field
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:36 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,593 Posts
We need to talk the Shred maker into offering the circuitry separate from the Lipo.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
now that would be nice
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:18 PM
Mickey from Orlando. Really.
Joined Nov 2004
3,413 Posts
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11231
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
Thanks for the link, very interesting
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Aug 2011
482 Posts
Just another thought. If you are tossing some Shreads, you might as well attempt to open the shrink wrap and snag the electronics. (with great care!!)

When the first one to lose sufficient capacity comes along for me, I'll try it and report back.

Jason
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:35 PM
a.k.a Frank Campbell
Long Beach, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2007
724 Posts
Ridiculously expensive, and a waste of time IMHO. Why not just use 1S lipo.

They just add more complexity and introduce further points of failure. I had one in an Elf and it worked fine but would not use them again.
VintageFan is offline Find More Posts by VintageFan