Sean Kinkade 1962-2013

http://flappingflight.com/

Or is that not the case?
FordPrefect is offline Find More Posts by FordPrefect
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2013, 12:35 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,876 Posts
Yes. This is the case and Sean is LOL in a different world and could no longer defend himself anymore, real sad.
LifeisGood is offline Find More Posts by LifeisGood
Old May 16, 2013, 12:53 AM
Joined Apr 2013
3 Posts
I wonder if anyone purchased SK designs from his widow and commenced producing this in huge quantities, which would drive the price is down to where it is more affordable, it is a great design, it would be a shame for it to die off.

Upps, I just found more threads on this...wow I hope all those people got their money back, the ones that didn't receive anything. Sorry all I was not trying to pour salt in the wound.
Old May 16, 2013, 09:43 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,158 Posts
Glad to see you back in here LIG
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691
Old May 16, 2013, 10:00 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,876 Posts
Brian - Hope you and wife have a wonderful trip to Europe, I know you are looking forward to it for a while already. Cheers
LifeisGood is offline Find More Posts by LifeisGood
Old May 17, 2013, 06:26 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,158 Posts
thanks LIG it will be great not long Now woooooooooo hoooooooooooooo
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691
Old May 17, 2013, 05:17 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordPrefect View Post
I thought this was the origoinal designer of ornithopter:

Sean Kinkade 1962-2013

http://flappingflight.com/

Or is that not the case?
Yes, that is him, the original designer.

I would love to see his designs be purchased and mass produced. Hobbyking.com should get on it!

Update-- I have just sent an email to hobbyking.com asking them to contact Carol and buy the designs and to begin selling ornithopters. If you feel passionate about Kinkade ornis, please do the same.
Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Last edited by Heavy Chevy; May 17, 2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old May 20, 2013, 08:41 PM
Joined Apr 2013
3 Posts
The best solution would be to have Sean Kinkade's widow Carol keep the original design open, make shoure SK gets credit, and what ever party decides to use the design makes replacement parts for SK's ornithopters should pay a small fee to the widow, if someone would like to make it on their own, they should not have to pay anything since it is not being resold for profit, that would be the right thing to do. Bottom line is SK's design in the right hands could lower the cost to approximately 60%, I mean the ornithopter uses one motor, and one esc, simple flight control board...

The right party should also sell upgrade kits that is where one could make money, I see a lot of issues with original design, but I prefer a design that reduces friction, the gears are too noise, the wing could be redesigned to work more efficiently, the gears could be replaced by a direct drive offset type flange with bearings at crucial points.

Bottom line it would be a waste to see this design go unused, but this does not mean it should be ripped off by third parties that will keep the price up.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 09:48 AM
Joined May 2013
1 Posts
Little Survey

Hello,

I am interested in buying this toy and to those who acquired their Ornithopters from SGDrone I just want to find out how satisfied are you with their product? Would you recommend it to prospect buyers like me?

Thanks in advance.
borzeg is offline Find More Posts by borzeg
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:38 AM
Canada, BC, Madeira Park
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
To all perspective buyers: Although I have run into a few issues with my sgdrone (carbon sail ) Orni I still think it is a well built bird.Although I feel it is a bit heavy (carbon fiber) It is still great to fly. I have been posting my progress on another thread, if you want to see my issues and solutions.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1880743&page=3
Will post my flight video below
sleepyfish is offline Find More Posts by sleepyfish
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:39 AM
Canada, BC, Madeira Park
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
SGDrone / Carbon sail Orni and How NOT to land LOL
Ornithopter - Sg drone / Carbon Sail (3 min 7 sec)
Old Aug 23, 2013, 02:12 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyfish View Post
SGDrone / Carbon sail Orni and How NOT to land LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR-mtrfsNcs
She seems to drop like a led balloon when the throttle is cut. Good looking flight otherwise.
Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Old Aug 24, 2013, 01:15 PM
Canada, BC, Madeira Park
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
Yea! its definitely not a glider I took the glide lock system off to, I like the motor to stop on throttle control and not continue thru to the next rotation. On landing this proved to be a bad system (wing kept flapping on final touch down trying to get to glide lock position) it would be nice if it was switch controlled (this has been discussed before). I also have found that with some practice its easy enough to hit the mechanical glide stop (and its part of the fun) I am considering changing the glide stop pawls and trying to make the wing flatter in glide but for now will just fly it as is. I think the wing material is stretching also, as the wing seems to be getting sloppier but not sure. The printed pattern rip stop is a different type than regular (see pic) but it seems to be a tighter weave so I guess time will tell.Anyway still enjoy the bird but I think it is a heavy critter so I guess the next option is to make a scratch build SH or LH (maybe this winter)
Old Sep 17, 2013, 07:46 AM
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2005
336 Posts
Slope flying.

Ornithopter (0 min 58 sec)

Video by Sam
SEP 2013 RC Glider GB (5 min 39 sec)
arthur0903 is offline Find More Posts by arthur0903
Last edited by arthur0903; Sep 17, 2013 at 08:37 AM.