HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2014, 03:44 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,361 Posts
Preston Engine Install Progress

Installing Preston's steam engines is a lot more complicated than slapping an electric motor or two in a model. Dave is aligning the engines so they are parallel and square with each other and the centerline of the hull, and properly aligned with the paddle wheel shaft and cranks. It is a very exacting process. If not done right, the engines will bind and not run smoothly. The photos below show this process. We had to find a datum from which to measure everything. Dave ran a snap line down the centerline of the hull. Now we have a good fixed reference point from which to align the engines and paddlewheel.

Left to do is get the engines accurately bolted in, machine the paddlewheel split bushings, rebuild the oil/water separator, machine the steam inlet and exhaust piping/flanges, make the elbow connecting the safety relief valve to the smokestack exhaust flange, install the cylinder drain valves, control servo and piping, and mount the steam oil lubricators.

Mike
hookpilot is offline Find More Posts by hookpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2014, 01:28 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,097 Posts
Sounds like a "month of Sundays" worth of work!!

But...looking very good!!

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 15, 2014, 07:55 PM
Ariel WA
Joined Apr 2005
341 Posts
Well being retired means every day is a Saturday and I am out in the shop 7 Saturdays a week.

Dave
Phoneman2005 is offline Find More Posts by Phoneman2005
Old Oct 15, 2014, 08:21 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,097 Posts
Yup.... I know what you mean....

Like the Beatles song..."Eight Days a Week".... D

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 18, 2014, 08:36 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,361 Posts
Island Lake in Sight!

Now down to single digits till we move. We get the keys on Monday, and Tuesday afternoon, Oct. 21, we will be in our new home and Area of Operation for W.T. Preston, Laura Belle and Vosper MTB 346. I think the first boat on the lake will be the Vosper.

The condo here in Edmonds looks a little disheveled with boxes and things scattered around. I'm very close to having the shop completely broken down and ready for the movers. My boats and dock will get a pampered ride to Shelton in the minivan. I'll try and take a few pictures showing the hobby shop unpack and build up. Dave has a month of Sunday's left to install the engines.

Mike in Shelton
Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
772 Posts
Good luck with your move! I look at my garage and piles of boxes with little bits and wonder how one moves them and knows where to find that one box of screws at the other end.
mike_victoriaBC is offline Find More Posts by mike_victoriaBC
Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_victoriaBC View Post
Good luck with your move! I look at my garage and piles of boxes with little bits and wonder how one moves them and knows where to find that one box of screws at the other end.
Mike: that very thought has crossed my mind. I have lots of little bits and pieces that need to be organized. I'm resisting the easy way out of just dumping stuff in boxes expecting to somehow sort it out on the other end.

first we get the keys tomorrow, then the move the following day. I have enough room in the RV garage to sort through the packing boxes and build shelving to accommodate everything.

Mike
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
772 Posts
Hi Mike - my office is next door to a moving company - they do lots of gov't and tech type moves but knowing them for the last few years - if they don't drink now they would after trying to move all my stuff!
Look forward to your progress reports.
mike_victoriaBC is offline Find More Posts by mike_victoriaBC