HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2011, 06:31 PM
~Lookout below!~
Las Vegas, Nevada
Joined Jul 2004
128 Posts
Help!
New Optic 6 - Optima 7 RX Range issues

I bought a new Optic 6, with (2) Optima 7 Rx's. I installed each RX in (2) different planes and got everything programmed.

I bound the radio to both planes using the recommended standard binding.

Once I got to the field range check proved that I only was able to walk about 75 feet from the plane before contact was lost.....

This was the identical case with plane #2. I was not in range-check mode.

My friend uses an Aurora 9, so we bound a plane to his TX. We even tried it in the alternate binding mode....however, the range issue happened in about the same exact spot....

I can assure you the rx is mounted correctly, and there are no obstructions to the rx antenna(s).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be wrong?

Thanks,

DJ
deegola is offline Find More Posts by deegola
Last edited by deegola; May 07, 2011 at 08:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2011, 09:05 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegola View Post
I bought a new Optic 6, with (2) Optima 7 Rx's. I installed each RX in (2) different planes and got everything programmed.
I bound the radio to both planes using the recommended standard binding.
Once I got to the field range check proved that I only was able to walk about 75 feet from the plane before contact was lost.....
This was the identical case with plane #2. I was not in range-check mode.
My friend uses an Aurora 9, so we bound a plane to his TX. We even tried it in the alternate binding mode....however, the range issue happened in about the same exact spot....I can assure you the rx is mounted correctly, and there are no obstructions to the rx antenna(s). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be wrong? Thanks, DJ
More info required:
. Distance between TX & model when ID-Setting (aka link/bind)
. EP or GP model?
. (2) different planes - Built up wood/plastic covering, all foam or C/F?
. Where exactly was the flexible wire tip of the antenna positioned - close to an ESC, pushrods etc?
. How was transceiver powered, via servo bus or SPC?
. If via servo bus, Battery type & size? analogue or digital servo?
. When "range" was lost, what warning signal was received?

see also: [url=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13943861&postcount=2200]AFHSS - ID_Setup (also known as Binding or Linking) & Range Test Procedure Spectra 2.4Ghz Module <> Optima Receiver.
- FAQ in particular item
"2.2. If 2.4Ghz range test is short, try re-binding first (system may have been turned off in wrong order first time - refer procedures above)".
After Market Accessories: ? note the Cautions.
and more relating to the Spectra Module, AFHSS Transceivers & Receivers at
under Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

(quick search = Ctrl+F)
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old May 08, 2011, 11:03 AM
~Lookout below!~
Las Vegas, Nevada
Joined Jul 2004
128 Posts
Pleas see responses in Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
More info required:
. Distance between TX & model when ID-Setting (aka link/bind) Approx. 3 feet
. EP or GP model? GP
. (2) different planes - Built up wood/plastic covering, all foam or C/F? Balsa with monokote
. Where exactly was the flexible wire tip of the antenna positioned - close to an ESC, pushrods etc? Here's a pic http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1815783/IMAG0326.jpg
. How was transceiver powered, via servo bus or SPC? Well, I did leave in the little spc jumper
. If via servo bus, Battery type & size? analogue or digital servo?
. When "range" was lost, what warning signal was received? not sure..I believe a steady beep

UPDATE: Last night with my wife's help I performed standard range-tests using the low-power procedure outlined in instructions. I didn't loose signal until I was approx. 140 paces from plane. Way beyond what was spec'd. Also, I had no signal loss at all in regular mode and I was as far as I was at the field earlier in the day. I don't think there's any interference where I fly, since it's an empty dry lake bed.

see also: [url=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13943861&postcount=2200]AFHSS - ID_Setup (also known as Binding or Linking) & Range Test Procedure Spectra 2.4Ghz Module <> Optima Receiver.
- FAQ in particular item
"2.2. If 2.4Ghz range test is short, try re-binding first (system may have been turned off in wrong order first time - refer procedures above)".
After Market Accessories: ? note the Cautions.
and more relating to the Spectra Module, AFHSS Transceivers & Receivers at
under Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

(quick search = Ctrl+F)
Old May 08, 2011, 04:16 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Pleas see responses in Blue
Thank you.
IMO, the antenna being immediately adjacent to the switch, is in one of the worst possible places for intermittant rf problems, for all known systems.
Please replace further away (opposite side further rear looks good) with tip in as vertical a position as possible.
Vertical gives best reception/transmission (check the antenna on army vehicles etc) and also metal pushrods will not be parallel, and retry.
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Installation RX & BODA Antenna FAQ

AFHSS - Warning Beeps Aurora 9 & Spectra 2.4Ghz.

more under sub sections
"Receiver - FAQ, Guides & Aids To Best Reception.."
"Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - Causes and Cures" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)

Alan T.
Old May 08, 2011, 08:13 PM
~Lookout below!~
Las Vegas, Nevada
Joined Jul 2004
128 Posts
OK, I think I am good on the (1) plane shown in picture.

I also adjusted the RX position in the Chipmunk. It has a fiberglass fuse.

I did notice I am getting little beeps sometimes when I am moving the control surfaces, but only with this airplane. When I stop moving the sticks, no beeps...then when I wiggle the sticks I get little super-short intermittent beeps?

What could that be?

PS - thanks for all your help so far
Old May 08, 2011, 08:25 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,853 Posts
Quote:
OK, I think I am good on the (1) plane shown in picture.

I also adjusted the RX position in the Chipmunk. It has a fiberglass fuse.

I did notice I am getting little beeps sometimes when I am moving the control surfaces, but only with this airplane. When I stop moving the sticks, no beeps...then when I wiggle the sticks I get little super-short intermittent beeps?

What could that be?

PS - thanks for all your help so far

That is your receiver voltage dropping to low. The A9 is telling you that you need more battery power on your plane. Making a servo go in one direction then stop and go another quicky takes more power then a stalled servo so wiggling the sticks is putting a heavy load on the receiver battery. Sounds like you need some more juice!
gunradd is online now Find More Posts by gunradd
Old May 08, 2011, 09:33 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
OK, I think I am good on the (1) plane shown in picture.I also adjusted the RX position in the Chipmunk. It has a fiberglass fuse. I did notice I am getting little beeps sometimes when I am moving the control surfaces, but only with this airplane. When I stop moving the sticks, no beeps...then when I wiggle the sticks I get little super-short intermittent beeps? What could that be? PS - thanks for all your help so far
Receiver battery is failing under load, a clear warning to replace it.
Recommend use of a 5 cell pack especially if using NiMH above 13000 mAH.
The higher the capacity of an AA size NiMH, the higher the resistance and thus less high drain (RX) friendly,
please refer to:
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Battery set up for Nitro/Gas models

Most of the FAQ under Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features are relative also to the Optic 2.4Ghz system and many others.

Alan T.
Old May 09, 2011, 05:29 PM
~Lookout below!~
Las Vegas, Nevada
Joined Jul 2004
128 Posts
Thank you all for your help!
Old Jun 07, 2011, 08:14 PM
media, pennsylvania, united states
Joined Aug 2006
122 Posts
Quote:
Thank you all for your help!
did you solve the range and low voltage problems? if so, what was the eventual fix?
luckymacy is offline Find More Posts by luckymacy