HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:31 PM
Principal Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jun 2002
1,010 Posts
octane81, the altitude seems to be innacurate. i saw several instances where you showed 0 or -1 and you were clearly several meters off the ground
compuatic is online now Find More Posts by compuatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:46 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
That was a fun video, despite the interference. What is the 2.9v in the upper left corner? Too low to be voltage.
What plane are you flying?
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:10 PM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
Its a Bixler .. 2.9v is rssi from dragonlink.

When I got home , i found the OSD to be loose inside the plane , thats not so good when its trying to stabilize the plane

Im still a bit worried about the mAh consumtion not being accurate .. in the menu its an option "RESET CURRENT" ... I wonder if this has to be reset for every flight?
The manual says "At first use" , to me that just means reset it once and its done.

This is at the end of a flight , its a 2200mAh battery .. OSD show 1153mAh used. And 11v left (3.66 per cell). Hmm
octane81 is offline Find More Posts by octane81
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:19 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Its a Bixler .. 2.9v is rssi from dragonlink.

When I got home , i found the OSD to be loose inside the plane , thats not so good when its trying to stabilize the plane

Im still a bit worried about the mAh consumtion not being accurate .. in the menu its an option "RESET CURRENT" ... I wonder if this has to be reset for every flight?
The manual says "At first use" , to me that just means reset it once and its done.

This is at the end of a flight , its a 2200mAh battery .. OSD show 1153mAh used. And 11v left (3.66 per cell). Hmm
Here we go again...
They probably just copied that code straight over from the Nova, and for many of us Nova 1.1 didn't fix the bug.

I look forward to your honest assessment of the Storm once you get it secured properly in your plane.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:28 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Here we go again...
They probably just copied that code straight over from the Nova, and for many of us Nova 1.1 didn't fix the bug.

I look forward to your honest assessment of the Storm once you get it secured properly in your plane.
My nova is working just fine, bought it a month ago from bev. Also, the storm OSD has better interference where you can select the RTH altitude and roll/pitch gain. I don't recall seeing that on Nova
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:01 AM
Fatshark Repairs AU/NZ
Australia, NSW, Yamba
Joined Oct 2008
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
So I take it, the Storm is very sensitive to being mounted perfectly level in both axis? Are there no settings to compensate for installation imperfections?

How about vibration isolation? The RVOSD is very sensitive to vibration and requires mounting on foam or suspended by rubber bands. Is the Storm the same in this regard?
Yes you can change the level setting in the menus.
From the use of mine it doesnt have to be perfectly level , in the menu you can compensate for it there..
if your plane is flying level in wing and altitude ...and it says p is 4 and r is -8 , you then go into the setup menu and change the p and r values to those you noticed in level flight and it then resets the values of level on the board to r =0 p-0......to easy.

As far as isolation i just mounted mine on some soft foam blocks ,(came with the FY21AP i got ages ago)
hpcoolahan is offline Find More Posts by hpcoolahan
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:23 AM
Fatshark Repairs AU/NZ
Australia, NSW, Yamba
Joined Oct 2008
789 Posts
The other thing that is in the back of my thoughts is with people saying the Ma bug this and that is , are people using a seperate bec and do they have it conected directly at the battery , or after the current sensor?
Because it has to be after the current sensor , or its draw will not be taken into account ,thus causing the error bug!!!
Just thought id put it out there for people to check

Cheers
Patrick
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:33 AM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcoolahan View Post
The other thing that is in the back of my thoughts is with people saying the Ma bug this and that is , are people using a seperate bec and do they have it conected directly at the battery , or after the current sensor?
Because it has to be after the current sensor , or its draw will not be taken into account ,thus causing the error bug!!!
Just thought id put it out there for people to check

Cheers
Patrick
Mine is connected like this , like the manual shows....
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:58 AM
Fatshark Repairs AU/NZ
Australia, NSW, Yamba
Joined Oct 2008
789 Posts
no worries Octane81 , just thought id put it out there ,was mainly refering to a seperate bec's wiring position.
might be some people that dont realise this , thats all i was trying to do.
Last edited by hpcoolahan; Sep 24, 2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:05 PM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
Here is my flight review of Storm OSD.
Its a bit long , but be sure to watch the entire video as im commenting about pros and cons throughout.

Cyclops Storm OSD flight review (14 min 39 sec)
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:39 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Here is my flight review of Storm OSD.
Its a bit long , but be sure to watch the entire video as im commenting about pros and cons throughout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn0PL3AgSKI
Thank you Octane, that was really helpful. What is the flashing airplane icon? Does that show a gyro is having trouble? Did you ever try to activate RTH while the gyros were giving wrong readings? I wonder if it would put the plane into a dangerous attitude.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:38 PM
Netherlands
Joined Dec 2010
316 Posts
Thanks for sharing octane

Looking good so far but wondering the same,
Will pa or rth mode work when the plane vibration icon is blinking
wippo76 is online now Find More Posts by wippo76
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:53 PM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
That plane icon which is blinking , its not actually vibrations , but "over the limit" pitch or roll degrees.
It will start blink when you go over 60 degree in roll or pitch.

Im pretty sure when that icon is blinking you are not allowed to turn on RTH or PA.
Because i remember a couple of times when i tried to activate RTH, and the icon was bliking , there was a delay between me turning on rth switch and RTH icon actually showing on the osd.

I guess we just have to test, and see if that can be a problem .. to be able to activate RTH at any time would be best.
But again , I cannot confirm 100% that RTH doesnt activate when the icon is blinking.
It might be active , just that the plane icon is there instead until the plane gets back within 60 degrees.

The thing thats most annyoing is the mAh reading .. I dont know if there is something with my setup or not .. on my first flight today the OSD showed 2219mAh used , and I put back 2920mAh.
Then when you look at this video from BEVRC , everything looks alright , asuming he is running a 1500mAh battery .... however when I think of it , that seems a bit low on a wooden plane with 2m wingspan?
At the end of the flight he have used 1055mAh , and voltage is about 11.5.
Storm OSD demo video 2 (6 min 14 sec)

Need more user reports!
Last edited by octane81; Sep 24, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:18 PM
Dark Yet??
United States, VA, Narrows
Joined Dec 2009
1,561 Posts
What do you think Iskess? I need another OSD and for the money it's a good buy, if everything works. In the end I guess it's just a $150+shipping gamble????
Barn-E-Stormer is offline Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:22 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn-E-Stormer View Post
What do you think Iskess? I need another OSD and for the money it's a good buy, if everything works. In the end I guess it's just a $150+shipping gamble????
It looks very promising. I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far. The mAh bug is not such a big deal in and of its self, but it is a symptom of a much larger problem. The fact that this problem exists after the Nova bug history is disconcerting. If there were a company rep that would answer inquiries I wouldn't hesitate for a minute. I'm wary of buying another Cyclops product until there is a little more visibility by the company. It appears that BEVRC is taking on some of that duty with a few posts that shows they are communicating for Cyclops who is apparently working on solutions to issues. That is a small move in the right direction, although BEV doesn't have a good track record of communication. People have been known to wait weeks sometimes for responses from them.
The Storm itself is very exciting. I love the simple altitude lock concept with the little icon.
Some simple changes that are needed:
1) RSSI at percentage
2) GPS coordinates. It would save space to skip degrees and display only minutes and seconds. 1 minute is almost 2 km, so it would be easy to assume the larger coordinate units.
Or they could do like DOSD and RVOSD, and display the GPS data when the altitude:distance ratio goes below a preset value.
3) I wish there were a way to attach an add on barometric altimeter. But I realize this is beyond the scope of this OSD.
I hear there maybe a firmware update coming with some key improvements.