Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:10 AM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
Northeast PA
Joined Sep 2007
1,176 Posts
Discussion
E-flite Blade SR 120 Thread.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...#quickOverview
Its a 40% bigger msr for 30$ more and just 20$ short of an full size brushless CP SR,not to be cruel...but who will buy it?
sonicjet is offline Find More Posts by sonicjet
Last edited by sonicjet; Aug 24, 2010 at 09:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:56 AM
USA, NY, Cedarhurst
Joined Mar 2010
1,008 Posts
Great scott! A giant mSR!
vicovaludemero is offline Find More Posts by vicovaludemero
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:00 AM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,481 Posts
I personally would love to have one.

Apart from an mSR, I have a number of small Walkera helis.

Flying helis is the part that I enjoy the most and the larger size along with its DSM2 capability for me would make a perfect outdoor flier.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:05 AM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
Northeast PA
Joined Sep 2007
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney View Post
I personally would love to have one.

Apart from an mSR, I have a number of small Walkera helis.

Flying helis is the part that I enjoy the most and the larger size along with its DSM2 capability for me would make a perfect outdoor flier.
But for 20$ more you can get a full bl cp SR.
sonicjet is offline Find More Posts by sonicjet
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:05 AM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,481 Posts
I already own a full bl cp SR.

I suspect that the heli will eventually be available as a BNF at a cheaper price.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:11 AM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
From a marketing standpoint, I can see EXACTLY why they went this way, and it was a VERY smart move for E-Flite. The collective-pitch "SR" was supposed to be a cost-effective step-up heli, but proved to be too advanced for the typical advancing novice mSR pilot, and too entry-level for the true advanced pilot with its under-performing tail rotor. The SR was an all-new design that had some bugs to get worked out early on.

The 120SR on the other hand, is based off a proven design (the mSR), potentially incorporating updates and improvements on the mSR design to appeal to those of us who wanted more from the mSR.

Much like the mSR, the 120SR is likely going to see its fair share of the typical bent/broken anti-rotation guides and worn, sloppy flybar holes.

Think about this for a second: The Blade 400 3D is the most advanced heli that Eflite builds, and many advanced pilots still consider it to be a toy.

E-flite is diversifying their heli line-up by adding a mid-sized micro with proven features, fairly easy to fly like the mSR, but not as advanced and expensive to fix as the SR.

I sure hope they get their parts supply on-shore and in-stock before they get the ball rolling. Bothe the mSR and the SR have been plagued with parts availability issues shortly after release, and it gives the entire line a bad name.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:15 AM
Southwick, MA.
Joined Apr 2008
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney View Post
I already own a full bl cp SR.

I suspect that the heli will eventually be available as a BNF at a cheaper price.
The website says a BNF is available. I want one..
C.O.P.O is offline Find More Posts by C.O.P.O
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:40 AM
Maryland
Joined Jun 2010
16 Posts
Will i be able to use the same batteries that i use for my mSR?

I can not tell from the picture.
k00leo is offline Find More Posts by k00leo
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:41 AM
USA, NY, Cedarhurst
Joined Mar 2010
1,008 Posts
^^ dont think so man...
vicovaludemero is offline Find More Posts by vicovaludemero
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:00 AM
British Columbia
Joined Oct 2008
343 Posts
Here's the BNF version.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=BLH3180
ModeTwo is offline Find More Posts by ModeTwo
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:04 AM
Joined Jan 2009
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro_pyro View Post
From a marketing standpoint, I can see EXACTLY why they went this way, and it was a VERY smart move for E-Flite. The collective-pitch "SR" was supposed to be a cost-effective step-up heli, but proved to be too advanced for the typical advancing novice mSR pilot, and too entry-level for the true advanced pilot with its under-performing tail rotor. The SR was an all-new design that had some bugs to get worked out early on.

The 120SR on the other hand, is based off a proven design (the mSR), potentially incorporating updates and improvements on the mSR design to appeal to those of us who wanted more from the mSR.

Much like the mSR, the 120SR is likely going to see its fair share of the typical bent/broken anti-rotation guides and worn, sloppy flybar holes.

Think about this for a second: The Blade 400 3D is the most advanced heli that Eflite builds, and many advanced pilots still consider it to be a toy.

E-flite is diversifying their heli line-up by adding a mid-sized micro with proven features, fairly easy to fly like the mSR, but not as advanced and expensive to fix as the SR.

I sure hope they get their parts supply on-shore and in-stock before they get the ball rolling. Bothe the mSR and the SR have been plagued with parts availability issues shortly after release, and it gives the entire line a bad name.
Count me interested. If you go read the early SR threads, you'll see quite a few (myself included) were saying should that this is what have been done to begin with. I was getting close to pulling the trigger on an HBFP V2, now I'll be holding off.
suraki is offline Find More Posts by suraki
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:07 AM
Southwick, MA.
Joined Apr 2008
425 Posts
Looks like the 5 in 1 is in a better location.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:23 AM
Maryland
Joined Jun 2010
16 Posts
I agree.

I hope this prevents any broken 5in1s due to FFF crashes.

I wonder if it will have the same right bank in FFF as the Msr....?
would its bigger size tone it down or eliminate it?
k00leo is offline Find More Posts by k00leo
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:23 AM
Mr. Magoo's Co-Pilot
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2009
1,231 Posts
I'll wait until they start showing up in the 4 sale section, Don't get me wrong I just bought a 2nd hand MSR and love it. But for the money up front new...maybe I'd go for a Walkera 180Z or UflyS or another HBFP or 2
GRUMPEE is offline Find More Posts by GRUMPEE
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:27 AM
Southwick, MA.
Joined Apr 2008
425 Posts
Whats up with the tail curving up? I have seen this before on some other helis. Is there an advantage to doing this?