Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:40 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,545 Posts
Discussion
Peter Rake Bristol Scout prototype

We need a volunteer to do the prototype for Pete's Bristol Scout. 36" span and (YES!!) 4 channels. Designed for geared sp400.

To do the prototype you need to document the entire build process with a >4MP digital camera. The build needs to be completed within a reasonable time (a few months, not years ). A build thread on the EZone is encouraged. Comments about missing parts, bad fit, etc will be communicated via personal email.

This is not a kit review. It is to help us sort out problems with the kit/plans. No bashing is allowed. You will have to supply the radio and motor bits.

There is no money involved. If Pete publishes the plane you receive nothing but a pat on the back and your name mentioned in print (it's what we live for, isn't it?).

This is for serious inquiries only. If you accept a kit and don't build it you'll get blacklisted

If you are interested please send me a PM or email.
charlie@manzanolaser.com

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:41 PM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,754 Posts
I was just about to volunteer when I saw that you are on the wrong side of the Atlantic. I think I have outgrown speed 400 motors as well and now prefer brushless. You might consider that you can get a brushless with ESC for pretty much the same price as a speed 400 with gearbox and ESC these days.

I want to get back into outdoor R/C flying (don't get enough flying time indoors) and want to have a go at a small scale(ish) bipe.

Where are Peters kits available in the UK? Searching this forum for "Peter Rake" returns more hits than a search for "George Bush" in the LTU&P forum

Michael
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Old Nov 13, 2006, 07:30 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,545 Posts
I'll ship the kit to you, no matter where you are. Just ask Pat Lynch

The prototype can be done with a brushless.

Yes, I do understand that brushless is cheap these days. Pete and others still like to design for bare bones operation, which means for most, brushed and round cells. These planes do fly very well on brushless. I did the big SPAD prototype with a brushless setup and converted both the Camel and WACO SRE to brushless. You do have to cobble up the motor mount for your choice of power.

Over here we have a place called rchotdeals which can get you a sp400/480 equivalent motor and speed control for under $40. My last brushed speed control was $30 and a sp400 with a gearbox was $20.

We ship around the world and postage isn't too much. Check out the web site

www.manzanolaser.com

Manzano and AerodromRC I think are the only ones cutting any of Peter's designs.

charlie
Old Nov 14, 2006, 01:43 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,601 Posts
I'll just chime in here, brushless instead of brushed is no problem, as are LiPos instead of NiMHs. I show the brushed variant simply because it's a known quantity for most builders. Until you know what brushless motor does what, it's something of a minefield chosing a motor to suit any given model. There are just so many options available, not all of which are suitable.
Changing the mount to suit an outrunner is dead simple, here's what Pat did in the similar size SE5A.
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:27 AM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,754 Posts
Well, you're better off with someone more experienced than me for a test build. I'd better buy a kit and build in my own time. I don't want to disappoint anyone if I don't manage to complete the model within the deadline. Running a small R/C business next to my day job means little spare time for building.

Michael
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:14 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,545 Posts
Thanks for eveyone's responses. I do have someone selected for this build. I will keep folks on a list for future Rake prorotypes though. Seems Pete is cranking them out these days so the next may be sooner than you think.

charlie
Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:32 PM
Langley B.C Canada
Joined Feb 2003
503 Posts
This should be a nice build, having built a couple myself.
Peter cranking them out, and yet no DR1 ....lol

Brian T
Brian T is offline Find More Posts by Brian T
Old Nov 14, 2006, 08:08 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T
This should be a nice build, having built a couple myself.
Peter cranking them out, and yet no DR1 ....lol

Brian T
Yup. I'd build a DR1 probably..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Nov 15, 2006, 02:19 AM
brennanj2
Australia
Joined Mar 2005
380 Posts
Charlie,

I have an old Peter Rake 36" Bristol Scout plan that was published in RC Scale Aircraft that was published in 1998. ( I dont have the magazine) Which I have just had photocopied in preparation to start building.

Will this be an up graded version of this plan? Or a new plan entirely ?

If so I will waite until the new plan comes out before I start building.

They look a great aircraft and had a wonderful reputation as a flyer.

John
brennanj2 is offline Find More Posts by brennanj2
Old Nov 15, 2006, 02:52 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,601 Posts
John,
Although very similar in style to the free plan (same designer or something) this is a totally updated and improved (my opinion) version. Although optimised for laser cutting, there's still nothing that can't be cut by hand. Plus, of course, this one is designed for ailerons.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Nov 15, 2006, 08:08 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,545 Posts
John,

Based on the rest of Pete's designs I don't think you'll be disappointed if you wait. We probably won't release this one until after the holidays.

But, if you want something now, there are several that fly very nicely that are available now

charlie
Old Nov 16, 2006, 01:31 AM
brennanj2
Australia
Joined Mar 2005
380 Posts
Peter,

Thank you for your responce. I think I will waite and see what happens.

Charlie,

Thank you for your responce. I have 2 of the Manzano Lazer kits earmarked for Chrissi so you will be hearing from me soon. My problem is that I am just finishing a PR Aeronca O-58, I am almost finished a depron version of a PR MS Type "L", I have 2 PR Kits to start, a guillows PBY kit, and plans to numerous to mention, all of which I want to make yesterday.

I am hoping medical science makes some remarcible head-way very soon giving all aircraft modelers a life expectancy of 150 years so I can have a chance to make all the models I wish to make

Charlie please dont tempt me.

John
Old Nov 16, 2006, 03:01 AM
I'm just a CAD at heart
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2003
431 Posts
John,

If Peter also has the same medicine we still won't catch up

Maybe we're spending too much time online !

Funnily enough I am also finishing Peters Aeronca O-58 as well, just ready to start the plumbing and cover.

Pete H
Pete H is offline Find More Posts by Pete H
Old Nov 16, 2006, 07:17 PM
brennanj2
Australia
Joined Mar 2005
380 Posts
Pater,

I had hoped to maiden mine this weekend but with the winds we are getting over here at the moment this is a forlorn hope.

May be we should start a Aeronca thread but amongst this august company I am a little wary to put my limited skills on display.

John
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:32 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,545 Posts
"Maybe we're spending too much time online !"

Yep, that's it!!! Everybody get off the computer and back to their building benches!!

charlie
(the worst offender of all)