Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:20 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,583 Posts
Help!
Source For Music Wire 40-48 Inches Long

In this age of the pull-spring, I stubbornly cling to pushrods, but finding straight wire longer than 36 inches is becoming a problem.

I have leftovers purchased from the former smallparts.com, but they are dwindling, and the new owner Amazon no longer carries them.

Who can provide a source for straightened wire 40-48 inches long? .025" music wire is my preferred configuration.

Thanks, Charles

BavarianCharles is online now Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:42 PM
sticks2sticks
United States, CA, Yreka
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
http://www.rcbuilder.com/Stainless-S...sings_p_9.html
.020 wire 44"
mgallian is offline Find More Posts by mgallian
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:07 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,237 Posts
I have been using stainless fishing leader from valley fishing shops. It comes in sizes from at least .014 to .026 But it is not listed that way, so bring a mike to measure it. The brand I found was Malin or Marlin. It is not perfectly straight, It comes rolled up in a plastic bag. I can give details tomorrow.

I also use it for hot wire bows (0.14 size).

I works in ASK'S teflon tubing. I have used it in my Lighthawks and Validol. to replace damaged pushrods.

BP
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:02 AM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,764 Posts
Walmart usually carries the Malin wire. I have .014, .016. .019. Sizes vary slightly, so take a micrometer. It straightens out nicely, no real problem.

If Wally world doesn't have, I'd try West Marine, they also carry it, but a different brand name.

Bad news though, can't buy it in 4' lengths. I think it's by the 1/4 lb.

Teflon tubing from Tailbooms.com.

I usually use whatever is closest to .020.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Jun 18, 2014, 02:13 AM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,867 Posts
We sell long lengths of SS wire, and post world-wide.
http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...no+and+SS+Wire

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Jun 20, 2014, 05:34 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles View Post
In this age of the pull-spring, I stubbornly cling to pushrods, but finding straight wire longer than 36 inches is becoming a problem.

I have leftovers purchased from the former smallparts.com, but they are dwindling, and the new owner Amazon no longer carries them.

Who can provide a source for straightened wire 40-48 inches long? .025" music wire is my preferred configuration.

Thanks, Charles

Hi Charles,

In my 3D days, I went looking for straightened Music wire in various sizes, for landing gears, and found them at sites that sell Piano music wire. I'm not sure how small they go, but look via Google and you may find what you need.

I use the 0.030" (really 0.026) carbon fiber rods available around 48" and 0.022" SS fishing leader. The small amount of curvature is never a problem for me.

The smaller sizes SS leader is more difficult to handle, bends too easily for me, and can sometimes slip thru the horns or servo arms. YMMV.

PS Many folks won't use the carbon rods because they think they break too easily. I find that to not be the case. In my experience they only break on two occasions :

I run my Rudder into something, like a door frame.

Or I have a "Bad" crash.

Mostly I now use the SS 0.022" leader wire.

BTW I have also used the CF rod on a Pull Spring on my Twister II. (Rudder)

walt
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH
Last edited by ROOSWH; Jun 20, 2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 05:44 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,583 Posts
Colorado Connection

Thanks for all the input, and I will receive some straightened .024 x 48 music from John Lovins (CO) wire at the Blue Skies over New Mexico contest.

Stainless steel is a bit too soft for my taste. The relatively low strength is no problem, but it's lacking stiffness. Try rolling a 36" length of .025 tempered and straightened music wire into a 8" loop, and it's much harder than doing the same with SS. That's the stiffness I'm looking for.

Old Jun 20, 2014, 05:59 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,191 Posts
Charles, glad you found what you want.

But, for me, I can't see any need for more stiffness than the 0.022" SS leader wire provides. And the smaller sizes of music wire still are too prone to other problems. I do think I remember that George Morris was using 0.024" wire (type unknown) for his controls. I do still prefer Teflon tubing and Rods or wires for my Tail controls Too.

Best to ya.

walt
Old Jun 20, 2014, 08:41 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSWH View Post
Charles, glad you found what you want.

But, for me, I can't see any need for more stiffness than the 0.022" SS leader wire provides. And the smaller sizes of music wire still are too prone to other problems. I do think I remember that George Morris was using 0.024" wire (type unknown) for his controls. I do still prefer Teflon tubing and Rods or wires for my Tail controls Too.

Best to ya. walt
Walt,

I've used .020, which works for the elevator, but not on the rudder. I believe George uses .032, for max stiffness and to prevent kinking if a control surface gets banged.

Pushrods are "old school", but almost fool-proof. I've seen too many "incidents" with pull-strings. Reminds me a bit of RDS, which works for many, but not for all.

Old Jun 21, 2014, 06:08 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,191 Posts
Hi again Charles,
I'm thinking that .032" would be a bit much if using MW or SS. That's a good bit of weight on the tail, but I haven't checked it, so I'm not sure. I don't think I have kinked the 0.22" SS in the many years I've used it, except in crashes, and I am known to be the roughest, in the NASA club, on my DLGs

If George happens to read this, then I would like to know what he's now using, and if he has joined the string control crowd. I hope not. As you say, too many things to go wrong with strings.

walt