Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 08, 2013, 01:24 AM
Allways the hard way!
South Africa, GP, Germiston
Joined Jan 2012
382 Posts
Discussion
DIY boiler

I intend building my own vertical boiler based on what i could find on the net... Not a lot! Millions of motor plans.... not so many boilers

Anyway... here in dark Africa there are not any rules guiding model boilers (lots on full size boilers & pressure vessels) but still i wouldn't like to build a pipe bomb... so if any-one can advise on typical material thickness etc, etc

I plan a centre flue vertical, with 2 cross pipes thru the flue (at bottom) and brass heat-transfer pins in the bottom (donno how many yet) Maybe i can just solder in a couple of brass rivits??

Was thinking 4"x4"... with thick end-pieces instead of formed caps. The whole thing will have an external housing.. probably cladded in timber eventually..

please look at my attached drawing... & let my know what you think.

regards
George
georgy is online now Find More Posts by georgy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2013, 07:35 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,379 Posts
The bible for model boilermaking is "Model Boilers and Boilermaking" by Karl Harris. This book should answer your questions regarding copper boilers.

It's listed as available for free download, pdf 20meg:
http://www.appropedia.org/Model_Boil...d_Boilermaking

Amazon US has a few copies for sale in the $46 range:
http://www.amazon.com/Model-Boilers-.../dp/0852423772

An Amazon reviewer (2012) says you can get it for $5.25 from the publisher in paperback, though I was not able to find it in a quick search of Internet.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Jun 09, 2013, 12:00 PM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,590 Posts
Also page 1 post 1 in "Books" section for Harris bibles.

Karl???? Don't think so.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Jun 09, 2013, 01:54 PM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
Also page 1 post 1 in "Books" section for Harris bibles.

Karl???? Don't think so.

Regards Ian.
Ian,

I have always thought of K.N. as Karl, I can't remember after all of those years where I saw the Name Karl.
A quick search on internet (http://www.slightlybetterbooks.com/knharris.html ) Karl Nobel.

George.
ooyah is offline Find More Posts by ooyah
Last edited by ooyah; Jun 09, 2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Adding name.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 06:39 AM
Icrasm
Australia, NSW, Peakhurst
Joined Aug 2005
24 Posts
George,
I am in the process of building a 3" Vertical boiler if you want the plans PM me.
It has to be certified and the drawing have been passed to build.

Bob
Able2helpu is offline Find More Posts by Able2helpu
Old Jun 10, 2013, 09:30 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,269 Posts
From another website Sandy's 3" vertical boiler. plans
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/inde...ic,1317.0.html
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:32 PM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,590 Posts
Apologies Brooks and thanks George, just shows that we were bad at spelling at one point.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:25 PM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Able2helpu View Post
George,
I am in the process of building a 3" Vertical boiler if you want the plans PM me.
It has to be certified and the drawing have been passed to build.

Bob
Hi Bob,
Over the past 20 years I have been building boilers and engines to various designs,
From Horizontal Scotch return flue, Vertical multi-tube, Vertical center flue with cross tubes, Scott boilers, 150 psi high pressure petrol fueled boilers and very high pressure Flash steam coils so I thank you kindly for the offer of your design but shall say no thanks at present and hope that you will post your boiler build when you get around to it.

I have recently built 2- boilers, one a vertical multi-tube boiler and the other a center flue boiler with 6- cross tubes which in the next few days I shall post and it may be of help to the other George and save him some heart ache as there are a few points in his design that are going to make it difficult to make.

Once again many thanks for your offer.

George.

P.S.
Bob
I think you have the wrong George isn't it George from S.A. who started the thread .
Last edited by ooyah; Jun 10, 2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 05:45 AM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgy View Post
I intend building my own vertical boiler based on what i could find on the net... Not a lot! Millions of motor plans.... not so many boilers

Anyway... here in dark Africa there are not any rules guiding model boilers (lots on full size boilers & pressure vessels) but still i wouldn't like to build a pipe bomb... so if any-one can advise on typical material thickness etc, etc

I plan a centre flue vertical, with 2 cross pipes thru the flue (at bottom) and brass heat-transfer pins in the bottom (donno how many yet) Maybe i can just solder in a couple of brass rivits??

Was thinking 4"x4"... with thick end-pieces instead of formed caps. The whole thing will have an external housing.. probably cladded in timber eventually..

please look at my attached drawing... & let my know what you think.

regards
George

George ,
I have had a look at your boiler sketch and if I may comment on the following.

If you don't flange your end plates and pin them with copper rivets to the shell you have a very good chance of them falling into the shell when you start to solder.
You could still make your end plates without flanges but I would suggest that you put copper rivets thro' the shell by about 1/4" and then sit the end plate on before soldering this should prevent them falling in.

The center flue will require more than 2- cross tubes and will need to be hydraulic tested before soldering in to the boiler as if there are any leaks the the cross tubes when soldered in the boiler is scrapped as you can't get in to solder up any leaks.

You don't say what thickness of copper tube that you are going to use and to what pressure the boiler has to work at ?

How are you going to fire it ?

I would also comment on the use of brass rods as a heat transfer I think copper would be best although I am not a fan of rods at all.

Why are you using such a large bore 1.5" dia tube for a center flue ?

Geralds suggestion that you look at Sandy C'S drawings of a vertical boiler is sound but you will have to register on that forum to download the drawings.

Have a look at my new thread on building a Vertical boiler it may be of some help.

George ( from Scotland )
Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:14 AM
Allways the hard way!
South Africa, GP, Germiston
Joined Jan 2012
382 Posts
Thanx George... that is exactly the comments i was hoping for... I am a total novice to steam, but after watching a friend's set-up run i just had to try it..

I have found the plans referred to, and i can now see where all the bits is supposed to go! I will start a thread for my boiler when i get to it...

The only problem atm is that i cannot find off-cutt pieces of the 3" copper tubing... the place wants to sell me a 5.5m length at R3500 (233 POUNDS)!!

Regards
George (this name is gonna get confusing!)
georgy is online now Find More Posts by georgy
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:56 AM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgy View Post
Thanx George... that is exactly the comments i was hoping for... I am a total novice to steam, but after watching a friend's set-up run i just had to try it..

I have found the plans referred to, and i can now see where all the bits is supposed to go! I will start a thread for my boiler when i get to it...

The only problem atm is that i cannot find off-cutt pieces of the 3" copper tubing... the place wants to sell me a 5.5m length at R3500 (233 POUNDS)!!

Regards
George (this name is gonna get confusing!)
George ,
Try some scrap metal yards and explain to them what you want a piece of copper tube for, I do this quite regularly in Scotland and find that the guys are very interested and do their best to help.

George T. I shall sign off this way to avoid confusion.
Last edited by ooyah; Jun 11, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 07:18 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,269 Posts
Another source of Copper tube is your local Model Engineering group, I have over the years been given or sold tube from other modelers, Also check with your local plumbers they may have some off cuts in the back of there shop.
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel