HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:37 PM
Joined Jul 2012
187 Posts
Mini-Review
Sphero

The device

When I first saw the Sphero, my reaction was "a remote control ball? That's odd." Orbotix advertises it as a "spherical robot" or a "multi-platform gaming system." Those are less odd, and it qualifies as both. I was given one as a gift, and was pleasantly surprised by it.

Setup

Setup is easy. Take it out of the box, plug in the base, set it on the table, then move it to the charger. You can see the box, Sphero and charger, with a netflix envelope for scale:

Now wait for it to charge. And keep waiting. It's as bad as some of the electric gadgets from the 80s. Possibly the problem is that it's using an inductive charger. Since doing that makes it waterproof (yes, Sphero can swim!), so I think it's a worthwhile tradoff.

While it's charging, you can download some of the apps available for the thing. At this time, there are 20-odd apps, ranging from a simple RC controller, through multi-player, multi-sphere robot games.

You then use your phone or tablet preferences to pair with the Sphero. When the Sphero isn't connected to a device, it flashes three colors in sequence. Those colors are reflected in the device name you'll see in the preferences. Mine flashes yellow, green and then blue, so the name is "Sphero-YGB".

On Android devices, you then open an app, and select one of the paired devices to use. The names for the devices are the same as you pair with. On my phone - running a year and a half old version of android, connecting was inconsistent. I've had problems with it using other bluetooth devices, so it's partly the phones fault. Using a tablet with a recent version of Android had no problems.

You can see the binding process here:
Sphero binding and strobe macro (0 min 39 sec)

FIrst, it's sitting blinking it's ID colors. After it binds, it goes red - my preferred idle color. After that, it starts running a color-changing macro.

Remote control ball

Since this is an RC forum, I'll discuss that aspect first, but try and stay brief. It's actually more fun than I expected. The Drive app provides three different control modes, a classic two-joystick surface vehicle system, the ever-popular (at least for bluetooth rc devices) tilt steer, and a single joystick that works like the right stick on a mode 2 helicopter transmitter. The controls are reasonable responsive, but the device momentum makes it more like flying a helicopter than driving a car.

You can use the app to change the ball colors and run one of a fixed set of "tricks." It is, however, missing the nearly ubiquitous record facility found in most bluetooth rc devices. Of course, that's more of a robot function, so we can talk about that.

Spherical robot

What takes this out of the "remote control" arena and into the "robot" arena are the data channel flowing back to the computer, and the ball's ability to load and run user-supplied program.

Part of the data reporting ability is similar to the gps telemetry function of better RC gear. It also provides collision notifications, so you can react to more than just position. In theory, you could use this to do an exploration of the environment, but none of the available apps do that yet.

The primary means of programming the robot is to write an app for either Android or iOS. There are bindings available for both Python and node.js, which may make it possible to do so from other platforms. The on-board program execution ability is meant to help programmer more than end user. For now, non-programmers are restricted to writing macros in a relatively simple macro app, and running or sharing those. If you're writing an app (or presumably a Python or node.js script), you can load macros created in the app. There is also a simple BASIC interpreter running on the Sphero. A BASIC editor application is in the works, but not yet available, so loading BASIC programs requires an App (or another language binding).

Here's a demo of the Sphero running a complex pattern macro:
Sphero comlex macr (0 min 32 sec)

The Sphero has the ability to process commands remotely whele running a macro, assuming the commands aren't interfering with each other. You can see it running the strobe macro shown earlier while I just fool around with the RC facilities:
Sphero Macro with RC (0 min 33 sec)

Gaming platform

The gaming platform aspects of it are definitely strange. You can use it as a six-axis controller with a shake action as a button or trigger. A fair number of the apps available are games that do this. Someone has a demo of using that facility to control an AR drone:
Sphero controls an AR Drone (1 min 4 sec)

However, it can also be used as game display, with color or motion being part of the game. There are multiplayer party and combat games that do this.

Finally, there are a few augmented reality games, where the screen displays a video imaged modified to add game elements, and you interact with the real world elements as part of the game.

Conclusion

Like I said, this was a gift. I didn't buy it myself, and probably still wouldn't. I can see why it costs what it does - they put a lot of hardware into that little ball - and there's a lot you can do with it. I'm just not sure it's enough to justify the cost.

Pros

- It's inherently cool, because it's a robot.
- The games you can control with it are fun.
- Programmable - you can make it do anything you can write the code for!

Cons

- Cost. It does extremely little for a $100+ rc toy, or robot, or controller.
- The control functionally is very, very hard to get used to.
- Charging takes a long time.
Mike Meyer is offline Find More Posts by Mike Meyer
Last edited by Mike Meyer; Jan 26, 2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Accidently submitted before I was finished!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:12 AM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Downers Grove
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Mike,

Thank you for the informative review, I wondered what exactly the glowing ball would do. Interesting the Sphero can be used to control other RC components. What frequency does it operate on?

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:42 PM
Joined Jul 2012
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badpilotto View Post
Thank you for the informative review, I wondered what exactly the glowing ball would do. Interesting the Sphero can be used to control other RC components. What frequency does it operate on?
You're welcome.

And I managed to hide the fact that it's a bluetooth device. That's why you have to pair it with your phone/tablet, just like any other bluetooth peripheral.

<mike
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:29 AM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Downers Grove
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Mike,

Now that makes sense why the Sphero can easily control other 2.4GHz devices.

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:39 PM
Joined Jul 2012
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badpilotto View Post
Now that makes sense why the Sphero can easily control other 2.4GHz devices.
For the Parrot drone, the two aren't talking directly. The app uses the standard Sphero and Parrot SDK's to talk to the two, serving as a relay.

The sphero SDK's don't give you direct access to the radio - you have to use BT. The Parrot uses Wifi. I don't know if the Parrot folks give you the kind of access required to let it be a BT master and be controlled by something like the Sphero.

I'm in the middle of ordering parts to start on a BT robot of sorts. Making it directly controllable by a Sphero is an interesting idea. There's an arduino library for this that might make it straightforward.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:45 AM
Philly/Queens
Joined Dec 2010
19 Posts
This is what i think i want to play around with my infant.
how durable do you think it is?
Yotone is offline Find More Posts by Yotone
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:56 AM
Joined Jul 2012
187 Posts
I think it's very durable. Waterproof, and made of some very hard plastic. I don't worry about dogs catching it, etc. They do show some mods involving taking one apart, but warn against it on their forums, so I'd avoid that.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:10 AM
Joined Feb 2013
14 Posts
In one video the shot it with a shot gun
HiddenSky is offline Find More Posts by HiddenSky
Old Oct 05, 2013, 09:59 PM
Valiant Poultry
United States, MI, Jackson
Joined Apr 2012
734 Posts
Old thread here, I know, but I just stumbled on it while Googling around a bit.

I've had a Sphero since about the same time as Mike, and I also find it to be a pretty interesting little device. It's slightly limited in what it can do, but what it does do, it seems to do very well.

I have a lot of fun with it just tossing it on the ground in odd places and watching people's reactions to it. Most people think it's a pretty interesting little device.

They now have a Version 2.0 out that is faster with brighter lights. They also sell a few more accessories for it now, such as a silicone "nubby" cover that does better on outdoor surfaces and in the water.

I am thinking of upgrading...but the $130 price tag is hard to swallow for those incremental upgrades, and the outer cover can be purchased separately, so you could always get that separately if you wanted.

Anyways, I just wanted to comment on the thread...the review was well written and fair.

I also have an AR.Drone, and I've never seen that video of the Sphero controlling the AR.Drone. Interesting.
Gimpdiggity is offline Find More Posts by Gimpdiggity