Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:51 AM
Flying Foamies
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Jun 2012
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeO82 View Post
I would love to see a day where everybody that has a multirotor would fly it the same time all over the world. That you would look up and around and go like ha look there also people hovering!
Too late almost everyone who can afford a mobile phone probly have one. Even if its a small one.
speedactyl is offline Find More Posts by speedactyl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Philippnes Materials Available
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:29 PM
United States, CT, West Hartford
Joined Sep 2013
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg2205 View Post
Hi all, it's great to see everyone's ideas come to life here!
This is my third (probably my best & last) Tricopter, called "Stumpy". A friend came up with that name because I chopped its arms short so it'd fold up to fit in a roadie case for travel. Stumpy's rotors are only 305mm from the COG/COT. It has a lot of 1.5mm G10 parts cut using a CNC router, and I'm really happy with my offset yaw mechanism that reduces the "top-heaviness" of the rear rotor assembly.
Wow, such a well crafted tricopter frame. With APM it's always seemed liked such a crowded setup to me.
APM. RX. GPS. Power Module. Telemetry. VTX. VTX power. Camera(s).
And then you've got to lay them all out right or they interfere. Yours looks great!

I have one question though, what are those red and black leads going into the servo section of the APM? Are you getting power out of those for the GoPro or VTX? Is that "cool"? I've always steered clear of the servo outputs because I thought I'd heard you shouldn't use them to power anything.

Thanks for sharing!
kenc3dan is online now Find More Posts by kenc3dan
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:11 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,153 Posts
I did 9 more flights today with my little tri and am very pleased with it. I had originally intended on going to 4s after I got used to how it flies on 3s. Now I really don't think I need to, it has plenty of power now for what I do with it. Gains are all as flashed but now have the stick scaling up to 45,45, and 50 on yaw. Working my was up to flips and rolls. Too cloudy the last 2 days for any more video.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:19 PM
Flying Foamies
Joined Jun 2012
766 Posts
Control Line?

what it used to be.

Now available as multirotor
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Philippnes Materials Available
Old Jul 22, 2014, 01:17 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2008
19 Posts
Thanks kenc3dan! I think it looks messy, but I'm not too fussed about looks as long as it works well. It is tricky getting so much equipment together without it looking like a flying spaghetti monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenc3dan View Post
I have one question though, what are those red and black leads going into the servo section of the APM? Are you getting power out of those for the GoPro or VTX? Is that "cool"? I've always steered clear of the servo outputs because I thought I'd heard you shouldn't use them to power anything.
If you mean the wires on the left side of the APM (analog/PWM section), they are the main 5V supply from the UBEC, a capacitor, analog inputs from the battery current/voltage sensor board, and yaw servo power supply. The rear side of the APM is where the ESCs & yaw servo signal are connected. I did not have to isolate the +5v from the ESCs because they are Hobbyking "OPTO" ESCs (which aren't actually opto-isolated, they just have no BEC). There are still ground loops (ESC main -ve and pwm signal -ve), but there are no strange effects that make me want to try opening those loops. I think a lot of people operate like that anyway.

Cheers
Adam
adamg2205 is offline Find More Posts by adamg2205
Last edited by adamg2205; Jul 22, 2014 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Engrish
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:50 AM
United States, CT, West Hartford
Joined Sep 2013
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg2205 View Post
Thanks kenc3dan! I think it looks messy, but I'm not too fussed about looks as long as it works well. It is tricky getting so much equipment together without it looking like a flying spaghetti monster

If you mean the wires on the left side of the APM (analog/PWM section), they are the main 5V supply from the UBEC, a capacitor, analog inputs from the battery current/voltage sensor board, and yaw servo power supply. The rear side of the APM is where the ESCs & yaw servo signal are connected. I did not have to isolate the +5v from the ESCs because they are Hobbyking "OPTO" ESCs (which aren't actually opto-isolated, they just have no BEC). There are still ground loops (ESC main -ve and pwm signal -ve), but there are no strange effects that make me want to try opening those loops. I think a lot of people operate like that anyway.
Cheers
Adam
Ah yes, the "OPTO" ESCs. How do they get away with it?
I've been using the BECs on my 30A ESCs for everything and powering the APM via the power module 3DR sells. What are the advantages to going with a dedicated UBEC for the APM and servo? The dedicated UBEC is also used to power your video stuff right?
kenc3dan is online now Find More Posts by kenc3dan
Old Jul 22, 2014, 01:46 PM
United States, WA, Clark County
Joined May 2014
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedactyl View Post

what it used to be.

Now available as multirotor
Speed:

I tried making a line like that, and the first time out it got all tangled up in the props and the quad arced down, nose-first into the ground.

Oof!
Columbian666 is offline Find More Posts by Columbian666
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:11 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Mar 2011
1,395 Posts
Reminds of those demonstration quads in loiter mode with a couple of 18g wires going to them from a power source so they can hover indefinitely.
Cyberdactyl is online now Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:02 PM
Flying Foamies
Joined Jun 2012
766 Posts
you should have launch it slowly angle away from you then slowly release the line , ideal for small quads. for big ones use a winch. dont let the line hang loose under the quad on take off else the propwash would kick it up in to the props

like Cyberdactyl said this is use full if you have to loiter in an area for a long time if use with a ground power station
and you can use a simple KK board to do it. you can even go out of LOS with no GPS and RTH
was thinking even simple with the eagle N6 board too.

Sergei Lupashin: Fotokite (Drones & Aerial Robotics Conference) (10 min 16 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by speedactyl; Jul 22, 2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:33 AM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
647 Posts
Quote:
whoops ....... thats Twin Fur2y PX35
Post thread here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...50519&page=155

shhhhh.... the multirotors are watching..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fH0k...Vlo-Rj2WV0yTSQ
Thank makes my skin crawl. Like an bunch of flying spiders...

Name: P.-bistriata-brazil_1.jpg
Views: 34
Size: 19.1 KB
Description:
dcame002 is online now Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Yesterday, 06:34 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2008
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenc3dan View Post
I've been using the BECs on my 30A ESCs for everything and powering the APM via the power module 3DR sells. What are the advantages to going with a dedicated UBEC for the APM and servo? The dedicated UBEC is also used to power your video stuff right?
My Turnigy 3A ubec powers the APM, receiver, minimosd, yaw servo, and GPS. The Immersion VTX has a built in switching regulator and runs off the 4S pack. I'm not feeding 5V to the GoPro (yet), so there's yet another battery to worry about (esp. considering it's the flight cam!! )

Advantages of a dedicated ubec? Not much - the rctimer V&I sensor probably has more pad area for soldering (I use it for power distribution too) ...and mini JST connectors make me nervous! I've never had one fail, but they're so flimsy I wouldn't want to trust them with that job.
adamg2205 is offline Find More Posts by adamg2205
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM
United States, WA, Clark County
Joined May 2014
232 Posts
Quote:
you should have launch it slowly angle away from you then slowly release the line , ideal for small quads. for big ones use a winch. dont let the line hang loose under the quad on take off else the propwash would kick it up in to the props

like Cyberdactyl said this is use full if you have to loiter in an area for a long time if use with a ground power station
and you can use a simple KK board to do it. you can even go out of LOS with no GPS and RTH
was thinking even simple with the eagle N6 board too.
Yah. No kidding about getting it in the air quickly and keeping the tether tight.
I'm trying to think how I could do this without a helper. Sounds like a three-hand job if you're using a standard Tx.

How do you get it to start up and start flying with no Tx? And how do i get or make a ground power station?

Thanks.

Tim
Columbian666 is offline Find More Posts by Columbian666
Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM
Flying Foamies
Joined Jun 2012
766 Posts
Is the TX strap around your neck? Seems
This guy has a servo controller mounted to the tether and a spring that controls the throttle so no tx is needed. by taging on the line you can get the quad to throttle up or down depending on tension.

oh this is a small hand launch quad.

alternatively you can keep the throttle up then let go of the TX controls just enough that the quad will climbed slowly . then release the quad with one hand and slowly release the line with your other hand. just like a balloon on a string.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by speedactyl; Yesterday at 09:43 PM.
Old Today, 10:49 AM
5th
Mediocre Pilot Extraordinaire
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2012
430 Posts
Or you could attach a fine piece of piano wire where the line would otherwise attach to the quad and attach the tether to the other end of the piano wire. This would keep the line off to the side and out of trouble.

Honestly though, I fly my quad with 10' of dental floss below it with various hanging objects on the end of the line from time to time (for instance, colored smoke bombs on the 4th of July, or a Chinese lantern lit from within by LEDs). If you take off firmly and climb until the line pulls straight down the line never even comes close to the rotors. Just don't fly acro.
5th is offline Find More Posts by 5th