HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:15 PM
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Mar 2012
221 Posts
Discussion
Repair Wings

Allrite so I have a few dents on wings that I need to fix but they are at a location where I cannot dip the wing in hot boiling water. Is there any other trick for this?

Has anyone tried using a steam iron on it? if Yes what is the best practice for this? - Use a wet cloth on the wing and then iron it on low heat?

Any tips are greatly appreciated
sahil80 is offline Find More Posts by sahil80
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:37 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
You don't need boiling water, it's probably better if it's below boiling, too easy to cause pimply foam. You don't have to use water, any heat will do, water just happens to be a nice medium for transferring heat to a specific area. The problem I see with the iron is you need to apply heat to the crumpled foam cells while trying to avoid ones that aren't. You'll likely be applying heat to the flat surface while missing the dents. Whatever you use remember to go slow, start with low heat then gradually increase it, all the while checking to make sure you're not overdoing things.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Mar 2012
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
You don't need boiling water, it's probably better if it's below boiling, too easy to cause pimply foam. You don't have to use water, any heat will do, water just happens to be a nice medium for transferring heat to a specific area. The problem I see with the iron is you need to apply heat to the crumpled foam cells while trying to avoid ones that aren't. You'll likely be applying heat to the flat surface while missing the dents. Whatever you use remember to go slow, start with low heat then gradually increase it, all the while checking to make sure you're not overdoing things.
can you suggest some other ways to heat it? iron seems to be out as I get your point i might be touching normal area then the dented area. Heat gun?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:15 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil80 View Post
Heat gun?
That could probably work. Try covering the undamaged areas with a wet towel or something to shield the foam from the heat. Just don't hold the gun on it too long, try just a little at a time.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:58 PM
Joined Mar 2012
221 Posts
Never mind - I ended up doing it with Iron pretty safely.

Thanks for your tips Rayne!
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:30 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil80 View Post
Never mind - I ended up doing it with Iron pretty safely.

Thanks for your tips Rayne!
You're welcome, I hope everything turned out alright.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:31 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
For future dings and dents .... you can pour boiling water over an area that cannot be dipped in water. As Rayne said, any heat is OK, but the water method ensures that you don't get it too hot. When you pour out of a teakettle the water drops a few degrees in temp so it is not right at boiling and helps to eliminate that "gator" skin look. Glad you did OK with an iron, I know I would have touched and melted my plane if I tried it. Old and shaky, you know!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy