HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:17 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
I am beginning to suspect that Horizon Hobby put a version of their AS3X system in this plane. It sounds like my buddy's Mig AS3X when it flies over head. When I pick up my FB Stratos you can hear the servos begin to chatter; they quit chattering when I put the plane down. If it isn't the same system, it is pretty close.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:39 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Congrats on your new Stratos, Nighthawk! I'm certain you're gonna love it.

It's windy here as well... two + weeks since my first two short flights and I'm grinding my teeth... hahaha

Keep us updated on your progress.

... Lennie
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:41 PM
... UMX Horizon Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
I am beginning to suspect that Horizon Hobby put a version of their AS3X system in this plane. It sounds like my buddy's Mig AS3X when it flies over head. When I pick up my FB Stratos you can hear the servos begin to chatter; they quit chattering when I put the plane down. If it isn't the same system, it is pretty close.
seems to be similar system like As3X--my both As3X UMX Models GeeBee and Mig have As3X and sounds the same.
Maybe it is As3x with lower setup.
SLK Count is online now Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:34 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
I am pretty sure it is. I'll bet they used an early version and tested it on the FB Stratos. In any case, it works because my FB Stratos flies pretty nice in the wind on high rates.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined May 2012
265 Posts
What manuevers are you doing with your Stratos?

Having never flown any RC airplane before, I bought a Stratos and have been learning (by trial and error, error, error) how to fly over the last couple of months. I've been able to accomplish some basic manuevers, and I'm wondering what other flyers are doing with their Stratos--- I'm the only Stratos flyer around here, so I only know what I'm doing. So far, I can do inside and outside loops, and I can fly inverted for a short while at the top of an inside loop. I didn't think the Stratos would be able to roll with the VI turned ON, but I've been able to do barrel rolls--- as long as I'm in a shallow dive. I know the Stratos is not designed to do serious aerobatics, but I bet there are folks out there who are doing some amazing things nonetheless. I'd love to hear from you--- with all your secrets, and step-by-step instructions, of course.......

Tom
black6088 is offline Find More Posts by black6088
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
low rate high rate?!

what does this mean?
turbogtz is offline Find More Posts by turbogtz
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:10 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by black6088 View Post
I'm wondering what other flyers are doing with their Stratos---Tom
Well... I try really hard to keep mine airborne and not buried up to it's nose in the ground ..
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:12 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogtz View Post
what does this mean?
Transmitter settings which establish the limits of movement on your airplanes flight surfaces...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:47 AM
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by black6088 View Post
Having never flown any RC airplane before, I bought a Stratos and have been learning (by trial and error, error, error) how to fly over the last couple of months. I've been able to accomplish some basic manuevers, and I'm wondering what other flyers are doing with their Stratos--- I'm the only Stratos flyer around here, so I only know what I'm doing. So far, I can do inside and outside loops, and I can fly inverted for a short while at the top of an inside loop. I didn't think the Stratos would be able to roll with the VI turned ON, but I've been able to do barrel rolls--- as long as I'm in a shallow dive. I know the Stratos is not designed to do serious aerobatics, but I bet there are folks out there who are doing some amazing things nonetheless. I'd love to hear from you--- with all your secrets, and step-by-step instructions, of course.......

Tom
well i must be getting towards 20 flights now and am still taking it easy, i now switch to high rates once i am up high enough, i have looped but at the moment i like getting some speed and going into a very steep climb, then cutting the engine and at the point where it stops i give it full rudder and come back the way i came (wingover) i think.

I am also confident enough to come in for some low passes (3m). plus high up i like switching off the engine and gliding for a little. still really learning what the aircraft will do i guess.

i also let my 7 year old son have a fly of it last night, he did really well, only confusing up with down, once.

the PZ spitfire thats sat on top of my wardrobe for 2 years is calling me, next time the weather is perfect i feel i can give it a go without too much worry.
jack3auer is offline Find More Posts by jack3auer
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:54 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Be sure and get some video of your Spitfire maiden for us, Jack...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:24 AM
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Be sure and get some video of your Spitfire maiden for us, Jack...
well it wont be a maiden, i had about 4 good flights with it before i tried to roll it on low rates in a moment of madness. i just haven't had the confidence to fly it again.
jack3auer is offline Find More Posts by jack3auer
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:05 AM
United Kingdom, Middlesbrough
Joined Aug 2011
59 Posts
I have had a good few flights with the FB Stratos now and I have flown it back to back with the HZ Super Cub that I was previously a bit nervous to fly. The stratos is by far the easiest to fly ( I am flying with assist turned off on high rates) and has the better performance. The Super Cub has a remakedly slow glide speed and will almost stand still on flare but it does not respond to the controls with the authority of the Stratos and needs very still air it is therefore heading for major surgery. Motor transplant, clipped wings and an aileron implant. I would recommend the Stratos every time for a beginner. It has done wonders for me. I really fancy a PZ T-28 next. Can Santa come early please?

What have I been doing with the Stratos? loops, wing overs, very ragged and strange looking rolls with massive amounts of down elevator and that is it. I like scaring my girlfriend and dog with high speed low passes, but again these need a fair amount of down imput. I have not had the courage to do an outside loop. I doubt I would be able to see at at the height I would feel comfortable trying one.

If the wind is right at the weekend I am going to try moving the clevis's in.
Wregie is offline Find More Posts by Wregie
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Transmitter settings which establish the limits of movement on your airplanes flight surfaces...
so if i put it on high rate eievator and rudder will move quicker or will they mouve up down left right further?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:45 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
They will both move in a greater arc relative to center.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
They will both move in a greater arc relative to center.
O.K.!!
thanks for the info!