HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Aug 2010
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Generally I fly my 2700mah to about 1800mah according to the OSD, and usually put about 1900mah back into it, the most I drained it was 2100mah on the OSD, and it put about 2250 into it.

On a side note, I found that around ~2100 mah according to my OSD will have me landing with 3.70 on each cell :P
Cool, thanks for the info.

And, again, thanks for working on the log file! I'll be watching the new thread!
carlalex is offline Find More Posts by carlalex
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2012, 05:09 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,251 Posts
I was hoping to utilize the telemetry from the OSD Hornet to provide raw data to a gauge S/W called Dashware.

http://www.chasecam.com/catalog/25

I use this for car racing to provide information on the videos for later play back.

example:
Lemons Joliet Oct 2011 Sun S2 NKH (1 hr 16 min 59 sec)

Ice Racing - Jan 30th 2011 -- Run 5 (1 min 28 sec)

They have some default plane gauges already and you can create any style gauge you like. It s a little like the Nascar displays you get on Speed.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jun 02, 2012, 10:52 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,613 Posts
First edition is available for testing, at the moment it produces a very generic KML with coordinates and altitude, more to come!

You can access the KML converter at: http://letsfpv.com/feiyulog
NorCalMatCat is online now Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Jun 03, 2012, 05:57 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Eidfjord
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
First edition is available for testing, at the moment it produces a very generic KML with coordinates and altitude, more to come!

You can access the KML converter at: http://letsfpv.com/feiyulog
Nice work ! This is my result: http://sdrv.ms/LbALU9
tossafoten is offline Find More Posts by tossafoten
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tossafoten View Post
Yeah I am looking at yours now, there is a lot of erroneous entries produced, I am going to work on filtering those out
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,754 Posts
I went for my first test flight today and it didn't go as well as I hoped. I'm hoping someone here can provide some feedback. (short summary: plane stays in tight left circle when either ACM or RTL modes are selected and will be carried away with the wind flying the circle)

I've got the fy31ap with gps and hornet OSD installed in my Skywalker. I followed the instructions and have setup the gains and I set the neutral point in the air following the procedure in the manual using dip switch 4 and switch 1.on the tx. (landed and set the dipswitch back)

I did another test flight and the ABM works and levels the craft when switched on. I previously verified that the switches (sw1+2) change the modes as expected on the OSD.

I powered up the craft and waited to get a gps fix (double flash on unit and I had about 5 satellites on the OSD). I launched and switched into ABM mode. I flew some circuits and decided to try RTL. The craft would immediately bank into a left turn and fly a fairly tight circle. The wind would just carry it away and it would stay flying in this left banked circle. I turned sw 2 off and tried again and it did the same thing. I decided to try auto circle mode. I flew up wind and hit the switch. The craft banked again to the left and flew a fairly tight left circle. It kept in this circle and the wind carried the craft away flying this left circle.

I landed and brought the craft back to the home position and put it on the ground. the home position read about 9m on the OSD. I left it there and I noticed that the home position started increasing at a rate of about 1 to 2m/s on the OSD while the plane remained stationary on the ground. It increased to about 61m and this was with at least 6 satellites (I was watching that). This was weird I thought.

I have the GPS located under the wing in the center with the OSD located at the front of the wing. I have the video tx (900mhz) at the back behind the prop. I can relocate the GPS to the front of the aircraft and see if that helps. I don't know what the symptoms of a GPS interference problem are. I can say that the GPS always had 5+ satellites and that rotating the craft the compass directions on the OSD were correct.

I'm not sure what other things to check or what else could be causing this issue. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Brendin
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Last edited by Xnaron; Jun 03, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tossafoten View Post
I tweaked the generator, your log files now generate perfect kml's with no errors
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,613 Posts
Does anyone have any idea what the refresh and downlink refresh rates mean (when replaying a log file), I am trying to figure out the timing so I can actually make the KML files playable on Google Earth :P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
I went for my first test flight today and it didn't go as well as I hoped. I'm hoping someone here can provide some feedback. (short summary: plane stays in tight left circle when either ACM or RTL modes are selected and will be carried away with the wind flying the circle)

I've got the fy31ap with gps and hornet OSD installed in my Skywalker. I followed the instructions and have setup the gains and I set the neutral point in the air following the procedure in the manual using dip switch 4 and switch 1.on the tx. (landed and set the dipswitch back)

I did another test flight and the ABM works and levels the craft when switched on. I previously verified that the switches (sw1+2) change the modes as expected on the OSD.

I powered up the craft and waited to get a gps fix (double flash on unit and I had about 5 satellites on the OSD). I launched and switched into ABM mode. I flew some circuits and decided to try RTL. The craft would immediately bank into a left turn and fly a fairly tight circle. The wind would just carry it away and it would stay flying in this left banked circle. I turned sw 2 off and tried again and it did the same thing. I decided to try auto circle mode. I flew up wind and hit the switch. The craft banked again to the left and flew a fairly tight left circle. It kept in this circle and the wind carried the craft away flying this left circle.

I landed and brought the craft back to the home position and put it on the ground. the home position read about 9m on the OSD. I left it there and I noticed that the home position started increasing at a rate of about 1 to 2m/s on the OSD while the plane remained stationary on the ground. It increased to about 61m and this was with at least 6 satellites (I was watching that). This was weird I thought.

I have the GPS located under the wing in the center with the OSD located at the front of the wing. I have the video tx (900mhz) at the back behind the prop. I can relocate the GPS to the front of the aircraft and see if that helps. I don't know what the symptoms of a GPS interference problem are. I can say that the GPS always had 5+ satellites and that rotating the craft the compass directions on the OSD were correct.

I'm not sure what other things to check or what else could be causing this issue. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Brendin
GPS can have errors, for starters 6 sats is low, I usually get 9 to 10 locked in within seconds, and 900mhz can interfere with GPS so separation is good...

I used to drive semi's for a living and I used GPS most of the time, and there are many times I have seen the GPS off by as much as 1/2 mile, I remember one time I was driving on a major interstate at night, and all of a sudden my GPS said I was driving on a parallel road about a mile away, and it stayed like that for about an hour and a half!

Though those types of things are kind of rare, but can happen. The GPS units we use are accurate to about 10ft at their best, more like 15 feet on average (assuming good sat locks)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,754 Posts
Quote:

Thanks,
Brendin

Is it possible to use a cable to extend the gps? There was one in the kit but it does not work. It has continuity but gps is not responding when I try it.

I am testing in my backyard and I get 8 satellites. If I leave the plane ni the same place the home position will start creeping up from 0000m to 0022m+ in less than a few minutes. Is this normal? I think I may have got a dud here.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Is it possible to use a cable to extend the gps? There was one in the kit but it does not work. It has continuity but gps is not responding when I try it.

I am testing in my backyard and I get 8 satellites. If I leave the plane ni the same place the home position will start creeping up from 0000m to 0022m+ in less than a few minutes. Is this normal? I think I may have got a dud here.
All GPS's have what are called 'GPS Drift', it's fairly normal, you don't usually see it on car GPS because it locks your location to the road you are on, but use an off-road GPS like the kind I use for geocaching and your location will bounce all over the place within a 30 foot radius on average, though 22m is quite a bit off.

The cable included is not recommended to use with the GPS as it is known to cause problems, but you could get some wire and just solder up a longer connector.

Try it with your FPV gear turned off but outside (use an SD card to log the info) and then use my KML converter to look at the track and see if it still shows drifting.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,754 Posts
Quote:
All GPS's have what are called 'GPS Drift', it's fairly normal, you don't usually see it on car GPS because it locks your location to the road you are on, but use an off-road GPS like the kind I use for geocaching and your location will bounce all over the place within a 30 foot radius on average, though 22m is quite a bit off.

The cable included is not recommended to use with the GPS as it is known to cause problems, but you could get some wire and just solder up a longer connector.

Try it with your FPV gear turned off but outside (use an SD card to log the info) and then use my KML converter to look at the track and see if it still shows drifting.
I tried it a few times and the last drift I had was 15m after being on for a few minutes. I have tried flying it with the fpv gear turned off and I tried to do RTL adn ACM and I had the same results. When I turn it on the plane starts circling to the left and continues doing circles. The wind will push it far away and it will continue doing circles. It doesn't attempt to return home. Just starts circling at whatever position I turn the rtl on. Acm does the exact same thing. I'm familiar with what the behaviour should be for rtl and acm as I have worked with my friends earlier fyetech unit that has the same functions.

I haven't hooked my unit up to the computer (not sure that this matters). Anyhow something weird is going on here. Mine is not working anything like my friends. His will do "circles" around the point (rtl or acm). They aren't really circles but more like orbits depending on how the wind is blowing. But it definitely works where as mine will just blow away while doing left hand circles over no particular point. The manual says min 4 satellites are required and I always had more than that.

I can try recording with the fpv off and see what I get but I am less concerned with the drift at this point and more concerned with the rtl and acm not working.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,613 Posts
Shouldn't have much of an effect but have you tried resetting it? If that doesn't work I would contact whoever you got it from or Feiyutech directly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,754 Posts
Quote:
Shouldn't have much of an effect but have you tried resetting it? If that doesn't work I would contact whoever you got it from or Feiyutech directly.
Yeah I bought it from fyetech.com. I've sent an email off to them. I thought I'd post here in case this was a know problem. I helped my friend set up his and there wasn't much to it to get it working. I just hope I don't have to send it back...I really don't want to have to ship it back to china. That will take forever and the summer is short here
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,613 Posts
That kind of sucks, I got mine from RMRC and mine had issues with the pots and they sent me a replacement with the pre-posted return envelope to ship the bad one back, from within the US.
RCG Plus Member