Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:32 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
A typical .. light air day at the SD Boat Pond

A Typical Wed at SD Boat Pond (1 min 2 sec)
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:41 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Google Earth Link to the SD Boat Pond

If you have Google Earth and zoom in you can see a couple boats racing .. and if you click the time line you can go back over the years and see how things have changed a bit over time..
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:07 PM
United States, CA, Emeryville
Joined Aug 2010
48 Posts
Jim - most of us are general bay area sailors and our pond(s) for nbrcsc are in san rafael. The pictures are from our salt water spot in a marina just off the bay.
sullyelvis is offline Find More Posts by sullyelvis
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:55 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,440 Posts
Portablel pressure washer for $25

Hey Jim

Just thinking about washing your boats off when you are finished sailing, a Hudson Sprayer would work great! You could fill it full of fresh water, pump it up and you have a protable pressure washer.

Food for thought.
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jan 26, 2011, 05:05 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Hey Jim

Just thinking about washing your boats off when you are finished sailing, a Hudson Sprayer would work great! You could fill it full of fresh water, pump it up and you have a protable pressure washer.

Food for thought.
Boomer

That is perfect for washing down the boats. Also might want to try adding Salt X, fisherman use it to wash down fishing gear after fishing on the ocean.

Manny
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:43 PM
United States, CA, Emeryville
Joined Aug 2010
48 Posts
spray unit

I have that spray bottle - works great
sullyelvis is offline Find More Posts by sullyelvis
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:54 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyelvis View Post
Jim - most of us are general bay area sailors and our pond(s) for nbrcsc are in san rafael. The pictures are from our salt water spot in a marina just off the bay.
Neat.. Thanks Sully. Sounds like to there are several spots to sail RC up there..
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:59 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
How old is yours? are you the original owner?

I just met a guy (and his Dad I believe) Here last week that drove all the way down from Sacramento to pick up a Santa Barbara he'd found in a local Craigs List Ad.. He said the person selling it from an abandoned storage locker, had NO idea what it was or what it was worth.. and as He walked up and mentioned this, I Immediately passed him to Bob Debow who's been here in SD forever.. Bob said he was wondering what ever happened to that boat.. he'd personally built it many years ago.. we then took a pic of the reunion.

I just find it amazing how well these RC sailboats can survive over the years and retain their value, across different owners in some cases. While I was looking for my ODOM I also met a Soling 50 guy here (Kim) who's hull was made in 1970.. but watching it sail.. it' look to me like it was doing as well or better than the day it was 1st built.. I've sailed a lot of sailplanes and never had one survive that well..

How old is you ODOM? did you build it yourself? does it leak?
Just curious..
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:04 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
That is perfect for washing down the boats. Also might want to try adding Salt X, fisherman use it to wash down fishing gear after fishing on the ocean.

Manny
Manny / Boomer/ Sully,
I'm using a little hand held like this sprayer and no Salt X, but will look into both .. anything to save be a little time and do a better job taking care of the boat.. I'm all ears .. JimS
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:33 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Awesone Day at the Pond.. but I Learned Optic's don't float

Geeze,
what a cool day at the Pond yesterday.. Got a chance to practice racing in perfect 4 to 6mph conditions with 4 other ODOM guys.. was super.. had a blast in part cause my boat's doing really well (sometimes).

But after a dozen runs down and back I decided to pull her out and give my knees a rest.. waded out, and as I started to lean over slightly and to steady her with a second hand round the base of the keel .. of all things the clip on the neckstrap .. simply de-clipped itself some how. I saw my Tx splash into the water alongside the boat.. Yikes.. grabbed it up quick as I could but not before the whole thing was under a couple inches of salt water and sinking fast.

Needless to say that ticked me off a bit.. and I've since pulled it all apart, cleaned and dried both sides of ALL 4 the PC' cards and now need to try to put it all back together.. ( there are a dozen little screws and trim sliders and such.. grrr.. ) just to see if might still work.. I do have a couple other other Tx's so I can get back on line quickly but I'm crossing my fingers..

Anyone else ever had a Tx fall off a neck strap? I've flown RC for 4 years and never had it happen before.. the spring and neckstrap clip still snap closed fine.. and it seems like they're fine but some how the snap-on clip disconnected when I needed it most.

Also learned one other thing.. flip-flops stick like glue to slimy mud.. so not only did I find myself with a soggy Tx in one hand, and an ODOM in the other, but getting re-stuck with every step out there 10 feet from shore.. Was interesting prying my self back in.. One sticky step at a time.. Aarggh.

Pray Tell: have you got a similar ODOM sob story?
Regards, JimS
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:01 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,242 Posts
Saltwater and transmiter do not go well. Hope it comes back to life for you. I once place my radio on the dock. Was setting my boat on the water, as I am getting up from my knees and go to pick up my radio I kicked it into the water. Needless to say, It gave me a reason to switch to 2.4. It happens!!!!!
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:44 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
Saltwater and transmiter do not go well. Hope it comes back to life for you. I once place my radio on the dock. Was setting my boat on the water, as I am getting up from my knees and go to pick up my radio I kicked it into the water. Needless to say, It gave me a reason to switch to 2.4. It happens!!!!!
Yes, I guess so, here's the shape my Optic 6 is in now and the culprit.. I honestly can't understand how this clip unhinged it'self.. it was definitely clipped on solid as i launched.. but failed on the retrieve..

was looking at this link as a possible $23 solution .. anyone out there using this HobbyKing dual channel Rx as a RC sail radio?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9042

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...e0735ee501f2fe
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:18 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
I had my old Hitec Ranger 3 hanging around my neck as I was trying to do some tuning to my ODOM at the Mission Bay pond.

Guess I was in deeper water than I thought 'cause the guys on shore started yelling at me....looked down to see the transmitter half submerged. Got it home and meticulously cleaned/dryed all the boards and internals with "Corrosion Block" spray and it worked fine after. Ended up replacing it for Spektrum 2.4 but the last time I tried the old Hitec...it was still working fine.

Gotta admit that that is my least favorite thing about sailing down there. Froze my "legs" off one cold/blustery day wearing shorts and flip flops, because I knew I had to wade out to launch/retrieve and didn't bring a change of clothes.
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:30 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
My Hitec neckstrap has this type of snaphook. I think it might be a little more secure than the type on yours....at least I've never had it come loose.

Name: snaphook.jpg
Views: 93
Size: 14.6 KB
Description:
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:33 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
My Hitec neckstrap has this type of snaphook. I think it might be a little more secure than the type on yours....at least I've never had it come loose.

Attachment 3759921
Yes, I have one like it and will likely switch over but chance of it re-occurring is I think really unlikely and I will always tug-check it in the future before letting go.