HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2011, 02:50 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
So which site does everyone want to fly tomorrow?
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2011, 02:56 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
My vote would be for BDO or WSUD, however I think Old Mill is a possibility if we get enough people from down south. Right now I've only heard that Matt and Alex are coming.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Jan 07, 2011, 03:04 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
...4 - Mike held out the most hope for this one, it's flatter than the previous sites, but there are a bunch of tall clumps of weeds...
Thanks for doing that Jim. On site #4 I was hoping to fly right off the lawn behind that Monticello school. No weeds, and shouldn't be anyone there on a Saturday. It measures at least 200' x 400'. Might work well for us after the snow is gone.

I also vote for WSUD or BDO tomorrow. I drove by WSUD at noon today and it was real foggy. Hardly any sun getting through. Drove over to BDO and it was a little better. Flew there for about 1/2 hr. Kind of breezy though, and not much lift. Cold! I'm even OK with Old Mill if the vote comes in for that. Might be up out of the fog a little? How much snow there? WSUD has the least snow. Just a trace of hard crusty stuff.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Last edited by like.2.fly; Jan 07, 2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 03:51 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
I'm OK with whatever you guys go with. If no one chimes in by the evening lets just make the call.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 05:47 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,464 Posts
Alex wants it to be a short trip in the car for him...
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:43 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
How much snow is there down that way Adrian?
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:00 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremeace View Post
Surgery went well. I'll be there Saturday. I'll just need launch support!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbaccah View Post
That's commitment for you....or addiction.
Sailplane addiction thread
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Jan 07, 2011, 09:16 PM
I land when i CFIT!
USA, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2007
869 Posts
I live in Sandy, about 500ft lower than the area around Old Mill golf course, and I have 3-4" still on my lawn.
flytrip is online now Find More Posts by flytrip
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:12 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,954 Posts
I don't know what to do. I know you guys are waiting for me to make the call. We could go for Old Mill; which would be logistically best for Adrian, Alex, and Matt. But we will have to deal with several inches of snow, and I'm not certain how well the surrounding neighborhood will react to our PA system. Or we could go for BDO in Ogden with only an inch of snow, no neighbors, and logistically best for Me, Jim, and Jeremy. Is anyone else coming????? That could be the decision maker if someone speaks up now. Otherwise I'm just going to say BDO at 11:00 for this one, and then promise to do the next one down south.

Weather man says cloudy with temps in the mid 30's. Storm front arriving about sundown with possible south winds preceding. Could be tough conditions. We can always postpone for better weather. Winter is hard enough to fly in around here, even on the very best days. But I'm game either way.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:29 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,871 Posts
Do North this month and then get next month on the schedule for the sod farm.

Thats my vote.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:50 PM
Fly Cheap. Fly Hard. Fly Daily
USA, UT, Riverton
Joined Aug 2005
381 Posts
Current forecast: Cloudy. Dense fog until 11AM. After 11AM, 50% chance of snow, high of 32 degrees.

I gotta be honest... I'm really debating whether I'm up for driving over an hour each way for this! The foggin' inversion is killing my lungs, eyes, and sinuses already...
redgiki is offline Find More Posts by redgiki
Old Jan 08, 2011, 12:05 AM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
K Jon. Lets go to BDO tomorrow. Less than an inch of snow and no stick up weeds.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 12:31 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,954 Posts
Jeremy, and Greg (if you're watching), please post us a first-hand weather observation about 9:30 tomorrow morning. See if the fog has thinned enough to fly, and if it is snowing & blowing or not.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 09:47 AM
What was I looking for??
Harrisville Utah
Joined Nov 2007
166 Posts
10-4
Big Weed is offline Find More Posts by Big Weed
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:28 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Thanks for doing that Jim. On site #4 I was hoping to fly right off the lawn behind that Monticello school. No weeds, and shouldn't be anyone there on a Saturday. It measures at least 200' x 400'. Might work well for us after the snow is gone.
Mike, the only problem is there is an 8' chain link fence surrounding the school yard. The school yard by me has a decent size grassy area and a huge open dirt lot to the south of it. No 8' fence along that side, but there is a 4' barrier of tall grasses. That wouldn't get us much closer to Salt Lake though.

I'll see you guys around 11, I won't be able to check in much if at all between now and then.