HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2010, 01:00 AM
Rank 1 Registered User
Lutterworth
Joined Jun 2005
241 Posts
Build Log
Avro Lancaster build.

Now here's one for the classic bomber buffs in us. I'm building this Lanc from the 2 sheet plans of Tony Nijhuis but doing it with a difference. I'm building the whole model from Depron! I have a large stash of 2, 3, 6 and 9mm sheets so thought, I know, I'll build a load of leccy stuff from plans using Depron as a subbie for balsa, apart from the motor mounts of coarse.

Model is 78" in span. Below is plan 1 of 2.

Keep an eye out. This is gonna be interesting
robmac is offline Find More Posts by robmac
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:21 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,231 Posts
Interesting indeed. Might even be the inspiration to get me to finish my GAD Lanc. Roll on.

Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:04 AM
The Netherlands, NB, Hapert
Joined Apr 2002
1,284 Posts
Good idea RobMac

Never can have enough Lancasters in the world...good luck with it.

Ray
Warbird@home is offline Find More Posts by Warbird@home
Old Oct 01, 2010, 02:15 AM
Rank 1 Registered User
Lutterworth
Joined Jun 2005
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbird@home View Post
Never can have enough Lancasters in the world...good luck with it.

Ray
Agreed my friend. Lancaster's are probably the most desired after bombers of WWII apart from the B-17G of coarse but that's next on the agenda once the Dambuster's flown the coup. Check out the link for the Fortress I'm going to build. I've just brought this plan and waiting for it to be delivered. Mr Nijhuis once again........

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/produc...-fortress-plan
Old Oct 01, 2010, 02:42 AM
Rank 1 Registered User
Lutterworth
Joined Jun 2005
241 Posts
Ok I'm going to be honest. This is going to be a first regarding multi motor models. I'm aiming to keep the weight down so the model can be flown with the latest park type motors and ESC's but, what motors do I use, do I need one ESC for all motors or one for each, how many batteries will I need, volts, amps etc.?

What combo's should I be looking at for the size of the model. I need enough power to pull it but not to much to turn it into a pylon racer!! It's got to fly slow and scale like. You all know what I mean.......
Old Oct 01, 2010, 07:18 AM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,231 Posts
Rob, in terms of bang for the buck you can't beat the Hobby King combos. I got 4 motors + 4 esc'a for my Lib for about $60. Any of these: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idCategory=179 will give you tons of power. Decide what prop you want to use, pick a motor kV to match and Bob's your uncle.

Regards,
Jeff
Old Oct 01, 2010, 10:53 AM
Rank 1 Registered User
Lutterworth
Joined Jun 2005
241 Posts
Cheers Jeff.

May I ask what size/span is your Liberator and what weight is it, plus what combo do you use? Am I right in thinking then from what you said, I need one ESC for each motor and not all four run from one ESC?

Regards

Rob
Old Oct 01, 2010, 12:53 PM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,231 Posts
Hey Rob. Depends on which way you want to go. In my poor unfinished Lanc, I used geared brushed motors, so I can run all 4 of one esc. Back when I started it, that was the only real option. With the Lib I went brushless - just as cheap, better efficiency, but you do need one esc/motor.

The Lib is from Wowplanes - 62" span, about 5.5 lbs I think. Scale props for the Lib worked out to 7" diameter, so I used GWS 7/4/3 and 1400 kV motors. I think I was getting around 450W total on a 3S 4000, which is tons. The Lib accelerates quickly and cruises at 1/2 power.

If I am doing my math correctly scale props for your Lanc should be around 10" diameter. I don't know if that's a concern for you, this is a case where you really have to decide what prop you want to swing and back into it.

Regards,
Jeff
Old Oct 01, 2010, 02:30 PM
Rank 1 Registered User
Lutterworth
Joined Jun 2005
241 Posts
Thats a hard one because I want to leave off the U/C meaning the model will be hand launched and skidded in, meaning 4 bladers will be an issue when landing with digging in, so will have to use 2 bladed props. I was looking at the link you pasted earlier and I was thinking 4 of these:-

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...x6E_Prop_Combo

What battery size would I need for this combo then, assuming one battery will power all four motors?
Old Oct 01, 2010, 03:12 PM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,231 Posts
Yah those will be fine Rob. Initially I ran the B24 on a 3S 3300 due to space considerations in the batt compartment. I found that a Flitemax 3S 4000 is thin enough to fit so that's what I use now. You need a battery with a fairly high C rating, 25C or better. Under load the battery voltage sags, and if you have a weak or old battery it will dip low enough to trigger lvc in one of the esc's. That motor stops, which jumps the voltage and the other 3 race until another one drops off line. Fortunately I learned THAT one on the bench.

In my case I go with the largest battery I can fit to help with c/g. I'd rather carry the weight as batteries than as lead, ya know?

I can help with the wiring harness layout when you get to that stage.

Regards,
Jeff
Old Oct 01, 2010, 03:51 PM
the Ford man
ontario
Joined Jun 2010
712 Posts
wow that will be an amazing plane when it is finished
good luck

ford f47
ford f47 is offline Find More Posts by ford f47
Old Oct 01, 2010, 11:58 PM
Rank 1 Registered User
Lutterworth
Joined Jun 2005
241 Posts
Cheers Ford.

Jeff help with the harness will be much needed so thanks for that. Will a multi volt charger be ok for charging or do I need a special one for this type of battery? Will this battery be ok?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...E_Warehouse%29

and this for a charger?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...Charger_w/_acc.

Sorry about all the questions, but I don't want to get items I don't need.

Rob
Last edited by robmac; Oct 02, 2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2010, 12:07 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,574 Posts
Subscribed
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
Old Oct 02, 2010, 02:36 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
You've obviously got your own reasons (using up surplus depron?) for going down the DIY route to build a 68" version instead of building the 62" Green Air Designs depron Lancaster but you might find it helpful to at least read the build thread? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522469

Video of theirs in the air here and it doesn't seem short of power?

http://www.greenairdesigns.com/lab/i...d=22&Itemid=65
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Oct 02, 2010, 02:48 AM
Rank 1 Registered User
Lutterworth
Joined Jun 2005
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
You've obviously got your own reasons (using up surplus depron?) for going down the DIY route to build a 68" version instead of building the 62" Green Air Designs depron Lancaster but you might find it helpful to at least read the build thread? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522469

Video of theirs in the air here and it doesn't seem short of power?

http://www.greenairdesigns.com/lab/i...d=22&Itemid=65
This has a wingspan of 78inches Rog and yes, have an abundance of the stuff, hense the plan to do the 72" span B-17 of Mr Nijhuis also after the Lancaster. Looking at a Halifax too if this takes off. No pun intended. Thanks for the link my friend.