Old Jul 12, 2016, 06:16 AM
Find More Posts by trent73
Australia, QLD, Robina
Joined Jan 2008
90 Posts
Discussion
Goldcoast Casual Fly and Social

Hi all,

I've recently relocated to the Goldcoast and have noticed that a few people get down to the large oval joining the vacant land next to the Cbus stadium.

Wondering if anyone is interested in catching up for an hour or so on the weekends to have a casual fly and a bit of a social.

I usually take my Bixler, 250 mini quad (FPV) and a couple of Heli's.

Anyone interested in catching up?

GoogleMap: https://goo.gl/maps/AnQbdxRADUE2
trent73 is offline Find More Posts by trent73
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2016, 07:35 AM
Find More Posts by wesmantooth
Joined Oct 2011
134 Posts
Trent

Will PM you but I am on the Gold Coast and work near there.

Shaun B
wesmantooth is offline Find More Posts by wesmantooth
Old Jul 13, 2016, 07:59 AM
Find More Posts by shanesmadhouse
Buildings what I enjoy.
Australia, QLD, Witheren
Joined Nov 2007
766 Posts
I have passed that area a fair few times and always thought that it would be a pretty good place to fly. Who owns the land? I fly out in the hinterland at Canungra.
Shane
shanesmadhouse is offline Find More Posts by shanesmadhouse
Old Jul 14, 2016, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by thefrog
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Jul 2016
4 Posts
Are there any other spots guys are flying, perhaps a bit further north (I live on the northern GC).
thefrog is offline Find More Posts by thefrog
Old Jul 15, 2016, 05:47 PM
Joined Oct 2011
134 Posts
There used to be a group flying at the Runaway Bay sports fields over near the cricket club, great spot not sure if they are still there. They used to fly early and basically head off when the sports started.

A gang of us used to fly in a park at Pac Pines but GCCC gave us our marching orders. Most of that crew (me included) now fly at LARCS (Logan) which is one of the largest flying complexes in SE Queensland - facilities are brilliant. From Helensvale it.s a 25 min drive.

There are also clubs at Coomera (Hinterland Club) and Numbinbah / Advancetown (Gold Coast Club). Both those are MAAA, Larcs is independent.

Shane on here flies at Canungra, a nice spot and a couple of us on here occasionally fly with him there.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 09:08 PM
Joined Jul 2016
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmantooth View Post
There used to be a group flying at the Runaway Bay sports fields over near the cricket club, great spot not sure if they are still there. They used to fly early and basically head off when the sports started.

A gang of us used to fly in a park at Pac Pines but GCCC gave us our marching orders. Most of that crew (me included) now fly at LARCS (Logan) which is one of the largest flying complexes in SE Queensland - facilities are brilliant. From Helensvale it.s a 25 min drive.

There are also clubs at Coomera (Hinterland Club) and Numbinbah / Advancetown (Gold Coast Club). Both those are MAAA, Larcs is independent.

Shane on here flies at Canungra, a nice spot and a couple of us on here occasionally fly with him there.
Thanks for the heads up. I've been past the Runaway Bay sports club but never flown there - thought I'd get the boot from GCCC.

I was a member at LARCS in 2014 but I never really enjoyed it that much. Hinterland is having trouble with space apparently, from speaking to them recently. I've never tried Gold Coast though, need to give it a shot.

I'd prefer private land and a small group of people, never been much of a club flyer though I've always belonged to a club. Moving to the gold coast a few years back I never found that land and that group so I quit the hobby. Looking to get back in now. Downside seems to be that I'm primarily a heli flyer, which seems few and far between.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 09:36 PM
Find More Posts by gossie
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,873 Posts
I'm in Southport and would love a small space to fly simple RC along with a spot of FF.

I do go out west from here sometimes but am reliant on no cattle being there......I need to contact the owner first. PITA to be honest.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Jul 19, 2016, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by gossie
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,873 Posts
Just a thought.
Those of us interested could meet one morning somewhere central for a coffee to discuss things.
As said, I'm in Southport, that's central, and there are some nice coffee spots with easy parking.
I can then run things past you re. what is about, and where I've been for a fly over the past few years.
If interested, please PM me. Thanks.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Jul 19, 2016, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by kinundrum
Joined May 2008
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrog View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I've been past the Runaway Bay sports club but never flown there - thought I'd get the boot from GCCC.

I was a member at LARCS in 2014 but I never really enjoyed it that much. Hinterland is having trouble with space apparently, from speaking to them recently. I've never tried Gold Coast though, need to give it a shot.

I'd prefer private land and a small group of people, never been much of a club flyer though I've always belonged to a club. Moving to the gold coast a few years back I never found that land and that group so I quit the hobby. Looking to get back in now. Downside seems to be that I'm primarily a heli flyer, which seems few and far between.
Gold Coast model flying club out near the Hinze Dam is fantastic! there are a few guys that regularly fly FPV racers and they have just had a few trees cut down(with permission) that allows a lot larger flying area!

http://www.gcmfc.com.au/

Gold Coast Model Flying Club FB page
kinundrum is offline Find More Posts by kinundrum
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:26 PM
Joined Jul 2016
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie View Post
Just a thought.
Those of us interested could meet one morning somewhere central for a coffee to discuss things.
As said, I'm in Southport, that's central, and there are some nice coffee spots with easy parking.
I can then run things past you re. what is about, and where I've been for a fly over the past few years.
If interested, please PM me. Thanks.
Great idea, I'm definitely interested in a meet up to chat about the options. I'll drop you a pm now to confirm. Hopefully we have a few more interested too.
Last edited by thefrog; Jul 20, 2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 06:52 AM
Joined Oct 2011
134 Posts
If anyone local is interested Logan has their warbird day on Sunday. Worth a look to see some big stuff fly.

It's general flying (electric only) before 9 am and I will be there early (from 6.30 am) to fly my Sebart Sbach, PZ Trojan and EPP 3D planes. From 9, warbirds only and that's when the bigger I.C. planes usually come out to play. If you come up, come and find me, ask for Shaun, I am usually set up towards the Western end of the pilot pits. If you want to fly bring your gear, happy to sign you in as a visitor.

Cheers

Shaun B
Old Jul 25, 2016, 08:32 PM
Joined Jul 2016
4 Posts
Anyone else keen to meet up in the next few weeks?