Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:42 PM
Find More Posts by Keith Shergold
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Mar 2016
60 Posts
Yippee!
Dumas 35" Tiger Moth

I just finished my Pat Tritle-designed Dumas Tiger Moth. I made a build log on "Park Flyers" because it's a park flyer, but other than a couple of guys, no-one else seems interested. I shouldn't care, but since I don't have any model aeroplane friends where I live, it would be nice to collect a couple of posts where other people say things like "good job"! Or "better do a better job before you try to fly it!" or something in between.

I am fairly pleased how it turned out. Around 2002 or so I had a couple of electric R/C planes of this size, including a GWS Tiger Moth, and then ended up moving around a lot so I gave them away and haven't flown an R/C plane since. I used to like to build stick and tissue models, so I gave this one a go. I was going to work up to it with smaller models but I love DeHavilland planes and it called to me from inside its box until I caved in and built it first. Therefore I found it challenging to build, and I still wonder if tissue was the right choice of covering material after all, but here it is, and I'm proud of it.

The only thing I wish I had done a little better is the wingtips. The bows that form the upper wingtips warped when the tissue shrank, and curled upwards a bit. It looks kind of weird, but it did it on both tips so I don't think it will affect how it flies, and it would be harmful to the plane if I tried to cut off the upper skins and re-do it at this point.

I deviated from the plans by adding a trailing spar and ailerons to the bottom wing. I wasn't going to do it, and then suddenly I found these tiny servos and one thing led to another, and...

Anyway here's the plane. I'll include a "bones" shot too.
Keith Shergold is offline Find More Posts by Keith Shergold
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:02 PM
Find More Posts by Steve85
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
3,476 Posts
Good job! No, really. Pat has a lot of nice designs, but this is one of my favourites. Good luck with the maiden.

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:30 PM
Find More Posts by balthazar420
Crashing at 8600ft
United States, CO, Conifer
Joined Sep 2009
352 Posts
Beautiful!
balthazar420 is offline Find More Posts by balthazar420
Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:08 AM
Find More Posts by slow_flier
United States, PA, Pottstown
Joined Dec 2009
491 Posts
Very nice build.

As one guilty of lurking in many builds, I watch the "views" counter to guage interest. Typically, I find about 20-40 views per post shows good interest.
slow_flier is offline Find More Posts by slow_flier
Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:14 AM
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Mar 2016
60 Posts
I'm afraid I do the same thing. It's funny though, when it's your own plane, you think you deserve more comments.

I play in a music band too, and the singers are always trying to make set lists that only have the songs people dance to. I keep trying to tell them that people don't always have to dance to show they like the music, but the gratification of other peoples' reactions I suppose is what the singers show up for.

Thanks for the comments! I'm hoping it flies. I've been practicing on a "simulator" so I don't wreck it due to incompetence.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 08:12 AM
Find More Posts by portablevcb
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
17,169 Posts
Nice job. And the wingtips look better than most of mine

The stock one flew nicely so you shouldn't have any trouble with it. Just double check the CG and controls before flying

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Apr 18, 2016, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by T_om
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
2,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Shergold View Post
I just finished my Pat Tritle-designed Dumas Tiger Moth. I made a build log on "Park Flyers" because it's a park flyer, but other than a couple of guys, no-one else seems interested..
One of the problems with having so many forum categories. This one is the best named of the whole bunch. You know you are getting scale and you know you are getting scratch built. There is a WWI category, water plane category, airliner category.... all of which feature scale models, but not all scratch built. This scale forum here is very active and has lots of nice people willing to help or encourage.

IMHO, if it is scale and scratch built, it belongs here, parkflyer or not.

Tom
T_om is online now Find More Posts by T_om
Old Apr 18, 2016, 09:27 AM
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Mar 2016
60 Posts
Yes, it probably isn't very interesting to watch someone scratch-build an aeroplane unless you like to do it yourself. Well, this one is a kit, so I hope it's OK. I have the "Dragon Rapide" kit on my shelf from the same designer, even thought it's a park-flyer AND an airliner, I will follow your advice and post about it here. It seems to be a fairly advanced kit. I had the devil's own time choosing a power system for the Moth, because the recommended one is out of production. Seems to me that scale and scratch-builders probably must know a lot about substituting and mixing and matching power-system components so this is probably the best forum to go to. I will put my build threads here from now on.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:53 AM
Find More Posts by 4dnospolk
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Jan 2014
426 Posts
Very nice! Looking forward to you maiden! I love how slow these float.
4dnospolk is online now Find More Posts by 4dnospolk
Old Apr 18, 2016, 09:56 PM
Find More Posts by Steve85
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
3,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Shergold View Post
Yes, it probably isn't very interesting to watch someone scratch-build an aeroplane unless you like to do it yourself. Well, this one is a kit, so I hope it's OK.
Keith,

The forum is "Scale Kit/Scratch Built; it's a home for all of us who like to build scale models from kits, plans, cocktail napkins or right out of our heads. Your Tiger Moth is right where it belongs...

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Apr 19, 2016, 06:02 AM
Find More Posts by Spring
CH Spring
Canada, ON, Osgoode
Joined Mar 2008
667 Posts
Keith

Well done! I built a Guillows Sopwith Camel. I posted it at WWI. I have no idea how to get it over here, and it doesn't show in the Guillows thread.

I have the Dragon Rapide also. I will either watch your build, or perhaps if the timing works we could build them at the same time.

Good luck with the maiden.

Cheers!
Spring is offline Find More Posts by Spring
Old Apr 19, 2016, 08:34 AM
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Mar 2016
60 Posts
That would be cool to build them together. I usually build things in the winter, because the summer is too short in Yellowknife to want to spend much of it in the basement working on models. But let me know when you start, and we'll collaborate on what motors to use and stuff. It looks like a slightly trickier kit than the Moth but not too hard.

I'm getting impatient for the batteries to arrive in the mail for the Moth. The charger showed up yesterday so it should be any time now. I guess the charger showing up first is less maddening than the other way around!
Old Apr 19, 2016, 08:43 AM
CH Spring
Canada, ON, Osgoode
Joined Mar 2008
667 Posts
Keith.

Deal. Remind me as we get closer to. Like you, I have too much stuff going on during the good weather.

Some mutual support with this kit might be helpful. In fact, perhaps there are others out there that might want to chime in. That could make it really interesting.

I kinda ran amok one night in the Black Knight. Its one of those places I can't go back to.

Cheers!
Old Apr 19, 2016, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by T_om
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
2,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring View Post
Keith

Well done! I built a Guillows Sopwith Camel. I posted it at WWI. I have no idea how to get it over here, and it doesn't show in the Guillows thread.
Simple.

Go to your thread. On the first post you made, click the "Report" button on the upper right corner.

A dropdown will appear and in that dropdown list one of the options is "Move Thread".

Tell the moderator it is your thread and you would like it moved here.

Easy.

Tom
T_om is online now Find More Posts by T_om
Last edited by T_om; Apr 19, 2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 05:35 PM
CH Spring
Canada, ON, Osgoode
Joined Mar 2008
667 Posts
Thanks T-om.

Done!