Old Apr 02, 2016, 06:44 AM
Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
3,339 Posts
Discussion
What is going on with WeMoTec?

Arguably once the standard ducted fan source, these days it seems almost impossible to obtain any WeMo product.

While they delayed hopping onto the high(er) blade -count rotor wagon, the Evo quickly proved out to have been worth the wait. Both the mini and the midi sized Evo rotors work well dynamically, and provide the acoustic profile that seems to be so important nowadays. The decline in interest in the standard mini and midi fans appears to have nearly killed those fans off.

However....even the Evo fans are becoming hen's teeth. Snooping around the usual vendor sites shows nobody has 'em; not fans, not parts. And my beloved old standard mini and midi fans appear to have utterly disappeared.

In my view, this is the pits. Unbelievably enough, some of us (well....me, anyway ) really don't care a hoot about that whoosh and genuinely prefer the performance characteristics of the old fans over the new. Especially so for the 90mm's - for me, nothing works better than the WeMo MidiFan - nothing. I freely confess that I have not committed as much R&D time to the new multi-blades as I have to the old standards - but what time has been spent, has produced some very unpleasant (the wonderful exploding CS12 rotors) and unsatisfactory results; the new fans are simply more power hungry, for similar performance levels, than the old. For that subjective "better" sound. Crappy trade-off in my book.

C'mon, WeMo! Give us old cranks a new opportunity to hoard up a new run of the old standards! Spit out a new load of 5-blade MiniPro's and 6-blade MidiPro's! And then feel free to churn out all the new Evo fans you can.

But please.....start making something available again!
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2016, 06:56 AM
Find More Posts by St. Martin
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
13,471 Posts
This has always been a condition of WeMoTec. Oliver is but a "cottage" industry. He gets ahead...then falls behind. When available, I alway's purchase several for the future. But, lately(last few years) I puchase mostly the rotors. And, as you know, make my own shrouds. I have a box of old WeMo shrouds to cut up for the stators.

Regards..Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Apr 02, 2016, 09:22 AM
Find More Posts by ex-racr
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,723 Posts
Extreme RC in Australia still has the pro and evo stuff. At least they did a few months ago.
ex-racr is online now Find More Posts by ex-racr
Old Apr 02, 2016, 11:01 AM
Find More Posts by Herb
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,715 Posts
Just got a shipment of 90mm EVO fans and rotors from Oliver a couple of weeks ago. Takes some time to process the order, balance and ship ...

Call up Gary and see what he has ?

http://www.effluxrc.com/WeMoTec-90mm-EDF_c72.htm

http://www.effluxrc.com/WeMoTec-69mm-EDF_c73.htm
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Last edited by Herb; Apr 02, 2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2016, 11:51 AM
Find More Posts by RNAF
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,543 Posts
I ordered my fan online in The Netherlands (www.rbckits.com) or just order directly from Wemotec in Germany?
My local hobby shop in Belgium has everything in stock for Wemotec. At least the for Minifan, the one I have..
I'm extremely happy with my Wemo fan too. It was so perfectly balanced. I only had to balance the spinner.

Changesun is not much cheaper than Wemotec, but seems to be generally more used lately.
RNAF is offline Find More Posts by RNAF
Old Apr 03, 2016, 06:09 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
3,339 Posts
Nobody local.....

Kinda what I was driving at. Gary has the MidiPro's in stock - but nothing else. Esprit has a couple MiniPros. I guess if I keep hunting there may be more to be found.

Ordering directly from WeMo is always possible too, but not where I really wanted to go. Meh - I suppose there's really no difference anymore.
Old Apr 03, 2016, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by efflux RC
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
10,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
Kinda what I was driving at. Gary has the MidiPro's in stock - but nothing else. Esprit has a couple MiniPros. I guess if I keep hunting there may be more to be found.

Ordering directly from WeMo is always possible too, but not where I really wanted to go. Meh - I suppose there's really no difference anymore.
I would have posted sooner but I was out of town yesterday.

I spoke with Oliver on Friday. A box of Minifan EVO EDFs and parts are on their way. Another order for 90mm Midi EVO fans should be shipping out to me on Monday.
As usual, please keep an eye on my main thread for the latest product updates, new arrivals and backordered items, back in stock.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...96945&page=318

thanks guys.
Gary

OH, and yes. Minfan pro classic (5 blade) as well. Still, one of the best 69mm fans out there.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Apr 03, 2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2016, 01:21 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
I would have posted sooner but I was out of town yesterday.

I spoke with Oliver on Friday. A box of Minifan EVO EDFs and parts are on their way. Another order for 90mm Midi EVO fans should be shipping out to me on Monday.
As usual, please keep an eye on my main thread for the latest product updates, new arrivals and backordered items, back in stock.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...96945&page=318

thanks guys.
Gary

OH, and yes. Minfan pro classic (5 blade) as well. Still, one of the best 69mm fans out there.
This is good news! I will most certainly be keeping my finger on the trigger - thanks much, Gary!
Old Apr 03, 2016, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by RNAF
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,543 Posts
I bought the Minifan with the five blades initially, but bought the upgrade eleven blades soon after. I'm a sucker for the sound...
RNAF is offline Find More Posts by RNAF
Old Apr 06, 2016, 05:36 PM
Find More Posts by whisperdancer
Portugal, Porto District, Maia Municipality
Joined Aug 2008
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNAF View Post
I bought the Minifan with the five blades initially, but bought the upgrade eleven blades soon after. I'm a sucker for the sound...
Doesn't the EVO mini have 9 blades?
whisperdancer is offline Find More Posts by whisperdancer
Old Apr 06, 2016, 07:58 PM
Joined Aug 2009
10,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperdancer View Post
Doesn't the EVO mini have 9 blades?

Yes, 9 blades
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Apr 07, 2016, 03:06 AM
Find More Posts by St. Martin
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
13,471 Posts
The Midi 90/80mm has 11.

Gary, do you know if WeMo ever resolved the bad spinner issue?

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Apr 07, 2016, 05:05 AM
Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
12,236 Posts
I have odd fan stock left, been waiting months for email reply on new orders. I have plenty of 80mm Midi PRO rotors, plenty of 64mm Mini PRO rotors, and I think I have 70mm PRO fans with my alloy housings on hand, need to go through the boxes again to check on whats there.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Apr 07, 2016, 05:05 AM
Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Joined Dec 2013
6,837 Posts
I have 6 of those that's only good for scrap metal...
HellHathNoFury is offline Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Old Apr 07, 2016, 12:17 PM
Joined Aug 2009
10,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin View Post
The Midi 90/80mm has 11.

Gary, do you know if WeMo ever resolved the bad spinner issue?

Fuzz
I've had a few of them machined too thin at the front face, and broke when tightening the screw. Other than that I've had no problems.
Waiting for product is the issue.
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014