Old Jan 30, 2016, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by sgomes
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
3,014 Posts
Discussion
RCX 'H' Motors for planes??

Hi guys, I'm just getting back into rc after a few years away, and I have some interest in the RCX H motors from Myrcmart.com. These are very well balanced, quiet, and smooth running, but designated as "multicopter" motors, I can find very little info on using them in small foam plane applications.

I would really appreciate any info available from anyone else who has used them in planes.

I have been testing the 32g H2206-1600kv, with quite good results. I have run it up on 3s with a gws9x5 to 13a and gotten 8000rpm with over 600g of thrust. These bursts have been maintained only for 10 secs, and temps have been no higher than 115deg F.

http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-h2206-16...ed-p-8245.html

I have been flight testing it in my HK Reaktor, and it is a missile.

Also, there's this motor http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-h1105-v2...9g-p-9137.html , and while it is a 4000 KV, I would like to see how it compares to the AP05.

Thx.

Steve
sgomes is online now Find More Posts by sgomes
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2016, 03:48 PM
Find More Posts by 9XTremist
San Bernacesspool
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
2,085 Posts
Something about the 4000Kv motor, as they suggest, use an esc that does well with higher Kv motors. I use the X-Rotor esc's from Hobbywing on my 3D planes since I don't need the extra whistles and bells and can benefit from the faster reaction of the processor in a mult-rotor esc. for 3D use even though I don't use them in a high Kv motor. I would be very interested in further test you do if you get up to 130* continuous and what thrust you got. I've got some 9x3.8, 9x4.7 and 9x4 props all e-props, no slo-fly I could mail you to try if you like and could publish the results.
This motor is listed @ 60g at the top of the page and 32g under specs is it actually 32g?
As always, watch what these companies will tell you. Falcon-Sekeda the North American Hobbywing Dealer sales reps and their tech rep will tell you that the X-Rotor esc's are not for airplanes but are optimized for multi-rotor use. They are all reading from a manual and don't really KNOW about what they are saying. They don't know what the optimization entails or they would know that it is perfect for 3D airplane use.
Now that we have a <250g reg exclusion, if the motor is 32g I would be interested in 130* continuous use thrust readings, if you do any.

michael
9XTremist is offline Find More Posts by 9XTremist
Old Feb 05, 2016, 03:55 PM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
4,857 Posts
There is nothing really special about multirotor motors, except that you might want to derate them somewhat. It's very rare that a multirotor would ever run any given motor at full throttle for any length of time because even when you mash the stick it still has to leave a bit of overhead so it can maintain stability. In a plane it's easy to fly the whole flight at or near WOT. Other than that there really is no fundamental difference between a motor designated for multirotors and one for planes.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Feb 06, 2016, 02:08 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
3,014 Posts
Yeah, the motor is 32g; I believe the 60g is a shipping weight.

Actually, you raise a point that has me intrigued - using a multirotor esc in a plane application. After reading what little info I can find, it would seem to make perfect sense if one can figure out the programming. With a selection of switching rates and timing rates, it appears that finding the right mix can be a bit of an exercise. Almost 100% of the time with a plane esc and motor, I program to high timing and hard start, and I never seem to have issues; but with more variables....I don't know.

When I get a chance, I will try pushing the motor up to 130degF, but I am pretty sure that a 32g motor with a 9x5 prop can not long withstand WOT.

Also, what do you mean by "<250"?

As for throttle control, flying at or near WOT for extended periods of time is more of an issue with the multirotor guys. I push the envelop with prop sizing, and I am seldom WOT for periods of more that 10 secs; but when I do, I allow ample cool down.

Just yesterday, I received 3 more of the H motors - 2206-1950, 2208-1800 and 2208-2050. I'll post back here once I have tested them.

One last note regarding quality, I now own 5 of them, and the quality continues to be consistently very high, especially considering the price point. In a way, I guess I am glad not many plane guys seem to know about them because I really believe demand would soon drive the price up. But, I have no regret posting here because I have received so much help from others.

Also, I have been going with the cheapest shipping (Air Parcel $8.34 for the last shipment of 3 motors, and I have been getting them in less than a week!!).

Hope this helps, and if anyone has any questions, I will try to answer as best I can.

Steve
Last edited by sgomes; Feb 10, 2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2016, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by 1101
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgomes View Post
Actually, you raise a point that has me intrigued - using a multirotor esc in a plane application.
Multirotor esc's usually dont have a BEC, or a very low amp BEC . So youll need to add an external 3A BEC
They do seem to be designed for very fast (throttle) response to keep up with the multi's flight controller .

I use heli esc's in my planes, I just re-program for planes. The ones I use have inbuilt switching BEC with a higher than usual SBEC current rating. Gotta feed the servo's
They also run cool , no overheating .
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
Last edited by 1101; Feb 06, 2016 at 04:26 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2016, 04:09 PM
San Bernacesspool
Joined Feb 2010
2,085 Posts
M/R esc's at least the X-Rotor's from HobbyWing have refresh rate faster than a normal acro esc since the m/r esc processor is doing less work on the xtras that a full featured esc offers so throttle response is faster (great for emergency pullouts on 3D) and there is only one setting you can change and that is the timing. Either high or medium. Like your motor website says the SK and BH firmware esc's seem to have sync issues with high Kv motors like the 4000Kv while the XR's don't seem to care.

<250g - If you fly you must register with the FAA if your device weighs over .55lbs (249.4758g) and no more than 55lbs (over 55lbs is considered commercial unless you belong to a NCBO, like the AMA, then you can get an exemption for over 55lbs. You only reg your name and are given a unique number and the number goes on all your aircraft. Since you've been out of it you may not be aware BUT, be aware/warned there is so much mis-information floating around in the M/R-drone advocacy forum it's stupid. If you have any questions PM me and I'll give you the correct answers and the gov docs you can read yourself.

I ordered $12.50 (including s&h) of prop adapters @$0.99ea on the 4th or 5th, I hope they get out before the night of the 7th which is the CNYs Eve. Did you get any of the 3DRobotics Iris+ motors @ $3ea? 1220g of thrust on 4s with a 9x4.5? They are the unbranded T-Motor Anniversary 2213 950Kv motors.
Old Feb 06, 2016, 11:38 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
3,014 Posts
Thanks for the info from FAA.

I think I may try the Xrotor 15a esc with this bec http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=84676

I took a pass on the 3DR blowout, after reading the terrible BBB 2015 complaints from San Francisco and San diego - all pretty much dealing with delivery and customer service issues.

In the next few days I will be receiving a couple of these http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-h2214-95...cw-p-8034.html It will be interesting to see how it stands up to the $3 (great deal!!) rebranded TMotor.

Tks again for the help.

Steve
Old Feb 07, 2016, 02:07 AM
San Bernacesspool
Joined Feb 2010
2,085 Posts
I guess you know that ubec has a 1 amp output. Not trying to tell you your biz but, that won't run 2 or 3 5g or 9g servos.

The x-rotor comes in 10, 20, 40 and 50amp versions. HobbyKing east did have the 20amp and the 40amp for $10 and $14.

Those motors look pretty close. I too was concerned about what I'd read but hoping PayPal would CMA. It did take me over 2 weeks to get the 8 motors I ordered. I'm no fanboy of t-motors since they quite making the FP3 2008 motor and then started being way too overly optimistic with their motor specs.
Old Feb 07, 2016, 08:02 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
3,014 Posts
Ya know, when I read the spec it very clearly stated 5A; but, between then and now someone changed it to 5V..............;-P

Thanks.......AGAIN!!

Steve
Old Feb 07, 2016, 11:26 PM
San Bernacesspool
Joined Feb 2010
2,085 Posts
good answer
Old Feb 09, 2016, 03:10 AM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
3,014 Posts
I've been meaning to ask where you got this data for the 3dr iris+ 2213-950 motor - "1220g of thrust on 4s with a 9x4.5"?

I think for that prop to make that kind of thrust it must get up to around 10,000rpm; and it's hard to imagine that a small 950kv motor could do it.

I just received a couple RCX H2214-950 (10g heavier than the 2213); and I had to go to a GWS10x6 on 4s and 300w to get to 1200g of thrust. Temp was pushing 120degF, but I was pretty pleased with that.

Please don't be offended by this, but I'm just having a hard time with the numbers.

Steve
Old Feb 09, 2016, 04:44 AM
San Bernacesspool
Joined Feb 2010
2,085 Posts
The guys u/n is njgomes. 15.9 amps @ 1223g on 4s. The second video is on 4s (right at the end he hits 100% throttle) . He weighs them @ 60g or so. He is testing the branded version from t-motor, the 6 year anniversary set of 4 motors and 4 plastic props. I've got 9x4, 9x5 e-wood, 9x3.8, 9x4.5, 9x4.7, 9x5 all e props to find the sweet spot on 4s. I bought 16 of these things and gave 4 away first thing for a father/son quad project. My order of prop adapters ordered on the 5th are still sitting, I guess they started celebrating early.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post33734385
Old Feb 09, 2016, 04:54 AM
San Bernacesspool
Joined Feb 2010
2,085 Posts
you were close on the rpm, according to fly brushless.com

http://www.flybrushless.com/tools/thrustCalc