New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2015, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by JeepKnut
United States, CA, Azusa
Joined Oct 2007
100 Posts
Discussion
Safety

See? Heres what happens when you become complacent.
10" band saw.
I was having trouble with the cut and just forgot. Hurt like a fk...blood.....grizzly.
Im Pushin 60 and have never been hurt by machinery...ever. Ive been around it all my life. I almost cut the end of my thumb off....right to the bone. I could hear when the wood was done being cut and the bone started being cut. It sounded a little like metal being cut.
I dunno, maybe a reminder discussion on safety? Lest ye forget.
JeepKnut is offline Find More Posts by JeepKnut
Last edited by JeepKnut; Sep 19, 2015 at 10:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:24 AM
Find More Posts by Kmot
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
25,578 Posts
Ouch. Hope you heal quickly...
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:28 AM
Find More Posts by tghsmith
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
2,265 Posts
my table saw at work is a sawstop.. I was worried that I might become complacent with the safety features,, but I now take the mindset with all my tools that they don't have the safety measures.. for the bandsaw when I give training I state "most bandsaws are not used for cutting wood or plastic,, they are cutting flesh and bone in the meat dept. of your nearest grocery store and doing it very very well.. just remember experience is what you get when you get something you didn't want!!!
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Sep 19, 2015, 01:15 PM
United States, CA, Azusa
Joined Oct 2007
100 Posts
ty kmot. Im being good to it. But hasn't stopped me...lol.
Yes tg....experience....indeed.
Oh...lol....the blade is for making boards....
...3 tpi....grizzly.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:45 PM
Find More Posts by green-boat
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
5,256 Posts
3Tpi, what are you resawing?
The older I get the more I second guess myself when using the big cutting tools. Years ago I never used a push block, now I do.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Sep 19, 2015, 11:35 PM
Find More Posts by Gravman
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
2,363 Posts
Agreed. The older I get the more timid I become. I find when using my power tools I am always thinking I am gonna hurt myself. When I was a young man I knew I would never be hurt. Now at 60 plus I know how it can happen in an instant. Hope you get healed quickly. I have noticed the older you get the longer it takes. Like someone once said " Getting old ain't for Sissy's."
Gravman is online now Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Sep 20, 2015, 09:06 AM
United States, CA, Azusa
Joined Oct 2007
100 Posts
You know Graveman, ur right and that's how I see it also... "I am always thinking I am gonna hurt myself".
I bought a 5/8th wide, 3 tpi to cut boards then mill to planks. It works very well and is way safer than a tbl saw but ...well...I forgot...just for 10 secs or so. lol...not even that long.
And, no, I wasn't using a pusher stick. With the tbl saw I always do...always. Now Ive got one at that station.
Shes healing nicely, ty guys,
Old Sep 22, 2015, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by glgirvin
Milford Mi.
Joined Jan 2011
375 Posts
Saw Incidents

Hi Jeepknut. You have unwittingly joined an elite group of men that I call the " blood brothers of the bandsaw". When I worked in the machine shop, we had 3 guys join the group in a 2 week period. The first one was using the saw when another worker said, "watch your finger".
He looked up to see who was talking and ouch". The second one was using a horizontal cut off saw and thought the cut was done because the blade had stopped. When he grabbed and lifted the blade, it dislodged from the piece he was cutting and got him. The last guy was cutting a round piece of Plexiglas standing upright. Half way through the cut, the plastic snapped and his thumb went into the blade. I have a lot of respect for band saws even though my table saw is ahead 3 to 0. Two fingers on my left hand(flesh only) and one on the right (tip and messed up nail). Both of mine occurred when I was either tired or in hurry. Hope you heal soon. Thank you, Gary
glgirvin is online now Find More Posts by glgirvin
Old Sep 22, 2015, 06:39 PM
United States, CA, Azusa
Joined Oct 2007
100 Posts
Boy Ill tell you what, I wish I could get the images out of my mind. This one is cleaned ev night with anti bac and a new bandage and splint.