Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jan 17, 2014, 06:01 PM
Find More Posts by Frogboy
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Nov 2013
106 Posts
Discussion
Spitfire Ultra Micro 4CH, Good First Plane?

I recently got into the aerial rc hobby and I am looking for a good first plane. I don't have a really big budget and I'm looking to spend around $150 maximum, but hopefully less. I found this spitfire at hobbyking ( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html ) and it looks pretty good to me so far. I was wondering though, would this be a good first plane? I do also have AFPD simulator so I am not 100% new to the controls. I am open to other suggestions to if you have some other possible choices.
Thanks,
Max
Frogboy is offline Find More Posts by Frogboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2014, 06:17 PM
Find More Posts by cmdl
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
13,279 Posts
no. a champ is a good first plane.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jan 17, 2014, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by Frogboy
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Nov 2013
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
no. a champ is a good first plane.
Thanks! I did some research and found out that my Blade nano qx transmitter will work with the champ and several other planes and helis! Downside is, I can't seem to find the champ in a bnf... Anybody know where I can get one?
Frogboy is offline Find More Posts by Frogboy
Old Jan 18, 2014, 03:48 AM
Find More Posts by the_bunker
foamies never die
United Kingdom, England
Joined Sep 2012
829 Posts
If you are comfortable flying a quad, then maybe the Parkzone UM Spitfire will work for you as a 1st plane - it did for me.

I'd been flying similiar Quads to you for a few months & got the PK Spitfire - my first few flights ended badly, but I learnt a lot & the plane is still flying (it is pretty beaten up though ).

You are already familiar with 4 channels, so it is not as daunting as a complete Newbie.

Try & find a field with some longer grass (not too long or you lose the plane as it can be difficult to spot with the camo) - that way your landings will be cushioned.
Also remove the landing gear & the cannons as they will catch on landing & rip the wings in half (I learnt this the hard way).

Before flying, get some practice on a simulator - that will definately help !

Take a look at the Spitfire thread - there are a lots of tips

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1585636

My tips:
Don't fly in winds above 5mph & avoid flying on days with wind gusts.
2 main differences in flying an r/c plane to a quad - speed & height. On a Quad you need to keep a lid on your speed & height, whereas on a plane you need speed & height - they are your friend, ie: if you have height then you've got time to get out of trouble, if you've got speed then you've got control. As a beginner flying low & slow is not gonna end well !
the_bunker is offline Find More Posts by the_bunker
Last edited by the_bunker; Jan 18, 2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 04:17 AM
Find More Posts by the_bunker
foamies never die
United Kingdom, England
Joined Sep 2012
829 Posts
Just realised you were looking at a different micro Spitfire - from HobbyKing.

The info I gave was based on the Parkzone UM Spitfire -

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...rodID=PKZU2180

As a beginner I think it's wise to be careful buying from Hobbyking - as many of their models are not for beginners & they assume a certain level of knowledge & ability - often requiring some modification to get flying properly. Having said that, a lot of their newer PNF/BNF models are better & I have been buying lots of stuff from them because they are cheap & modding is fun (it's all part of the hobby)

Starting out, I would recommend something you can literally fly out of the box & the Horizon Hobby - Parkzone/E-flite models are good for that - plus the BNF versions make it cheaper once you have a compatible TX.
the_bunker is offline Find More Posts by the_bunker
Old Jan 18, 2014, 04:52 PM
Find More Posts by UNGN
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The HK spitfire would not be a good first plane. Its easy to fly with a little experience, but it is brittle and requires some 4 channel experience to avoid wiping it out beyond repair in the first few flights.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 29, 2015, 05:49 PM
Find More Posts by brokendiff
United States, PA, Ephrata
Joined Mar 2015
662 Posts
Hobbyzone sport cub s with a good used Spektrum radio would make a nice first bird. Replace the rtr radio and first dead motor with a Micro Motor Warehouse motor. That is the route I went with a nice used Dx4e with the 3 position switch(radio was under 40 bucks shipped).
brokendiff is offline Find More Posts by brokendiff
Old Oct 29, 2015, 08:33 PM
Find More Posts by papadwight
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
1,706 Posts
The Champ only comes rtf but well bind to spektrum radio for full range the small control that comes with it only good for about 300 feet max most times. But is a great starter plane the sport cub s is like a super champ and can you can get it in BNF. But if your radio doe's champ well do most BNF plane horizon hobby has. Many of there starter plane's do come in BNF Models.
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2015, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by Captain Muscles
Joined Aug 2015
332 Posts
Yeah, just buy the Champ. She is great first plane and you will learn a lot flying her.
Captain Muscles is offline Find More Posts by Captain Muscles