HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2014, 06:32 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,091 Posts
Discussion
A tale of two transmitters...

I'd ask this in the radio forum, but I'm mainly dlg so...

I have a choice between a jr xp8103 and a jr xp9303(H), both with Spektrum modules (the 9303 has the top mounted spk-DM9 dsm2 module). Both are pristine and within a few $'s of each other.

I'm upgrading from my dx6i (lacking flight modes), and my main concern is programming ease (I suck at it, but getting better).

Two things I've found out about them are: the 8103 can have multiple switchable programs for the same model which sounds great for going from calm to windy etc. The 9303 may have the same?

2)...the 9303 has digital trims which I like better than manual but again, the other may have also but it doesn't seem to.

For dlg use, which would you guys go with. I'm sure they're both capable, but still would like to hear opinions.

Thanks for any input.
Greg.
Triggerhappy is offline Find More Posts by Triggerhappy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2014, 07:22 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,384 Posts
I have an X9303 native 2.4 not the heli version. The programming is very confusing if you are not familiar with the Spektrum Way.

There are 30 models that can be stored, each linked to a receiver when bound. There can be many copies of the same model, since they are stored by the name you give them.

When you want to change a model, the tx must be off. Then hold down the top left button on the LCD and a menu comes up to choose the model. If it is the same plane, it will need to be bound again.

Depending on the $$, look at the Taranis for programming options.
BP
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:04 PM
2013 US F3K Team Manager(ret)
Newbury Park, CA
Joined May 2005
1,055 Posts
9303 has flight modes which are easier to deal with over the 8103. The 8103 fits my hands better, but that's a personal thing.

-l
dlgdude is offline Find More Posts by dlgdude
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:04 PM
Mickey from Orlando. Really.
Joined Nov 2004
3,563 Posts
of the two, 9303, no-brainer
+1 on the taranis though, my entire DLG fleet is all taranis now.
Plus with taranis you get telemetry, very helpful with 1s setups.
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:06 PM
Joined Feb 2007
704 Posts
I wish programming a taranis was straight forward/at least easier.
NorCal Hobbies is online now Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:32 PM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,648 Posts
TriggerHappy,

I have both as well. Like Lex (dlgdude) the 8103 is a bit smaller and fits in the hands. The 8103 holds 10 models the 9303 30 models.

Now if the 9303 has a DMS hard wired into it, then you can have that upgraded to DSMX but it cannot be upgraded to DMSS which is the new tendency.

If you are buying both used, the 8103 has a replaceable module so you can switch out it for the FRysky module or 2.4 modules offered by others. This has some advantage.

Programming for both is about the same and Sherman Knight's directions work well for both. You should have not problem there. The 9303 does have a bit more flight modes and rates settings. Mixes are about the same. all in all the 8103 will work well if you get a deal. I still fly mine on 72 (note to all you Poway competitors!) and it is my backup. On 72, it is nice because when you switch it on, there is not 2.4 assignment delay. The 8103 does do some flight modes, and you can change out switches if you want to do a pushbutton launch mode. I have mine set up to have a pushbutton on the gear switch which I then mix , via the mixes, to other functions as required. Both have dual rates and expo. The 8103 was a workhorse for a number of years until the more programmable 2.4's came out.

JR offers(ed) a plug in PC transfer module and this permits you to save off programming or install programming that some else sends you. It helps with backups as well. I have this and use it for both my 9303 and 8103.

If you are buying new, then my suggestion is to do the XG14 with DMSS or go with the others people mention. The Taranis, while open sourced and more programmable, does require you to know how to do things on your PC and the Tx. I have a local who was complaining to me that it took a bit more concentration to get that up and going with all the things you can do. I'll leave you to research the TX offerings and listen to everyones opinion here on the exchange.

So that's my opinion. I like both.

Chris
Thermaln2 is online now Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:33 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp View Post
I have an X9303 native 2.4 not the heli version. The programming is very confusing if you are not familiar with the Spektrum Way.

There are 30 models that can be stored, each linked to a receiver when bound. There can be many copies of the same model, since they are stored by the name you give them.

When you want to change a model, the tx must be off. Then hold down the top left button on the LCD and a menu comes up to choose the model. If it is the same plane, it will need to be bound again.

Depending on the $$, look at the Taranis for programming options.
BP

I think what I was referring to might have been switching "flight modes" not models, which should be easy enough.

Thanx but no thanx on the Taranis, I've red allot about them and they seem great, but I don't want to deal with all the tech stuff. In doing good to program a "regular" transmitter :-)
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:34 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgdude View Post
9303 has flight modes which are easier to deal with over the 8103. The 8103 fits my hands better, but that's a personal thing.

-l

Thank you sir, that's what I was after.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:37 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129 View Post
of the two, 9303, no-brainer
+1 on the taranis though, my entire DLG fleet is all taranis now.
Plus with taranis you get telemetry, very helpful with 1s setups.

No brain'r, good to know!
I kinda figured it would go this way just going by what radios are mentioned often.

I have switched to 1s and love the runtime. I don't have telemetry now and haven't had a problem, so maybe all will be good. Thanx for the feedback.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:38 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Hobbies View Post
I wish programming a taranis was straight forward/at least easier.

Yep, that's exactly what scared me off.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:48 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaln2 View Post
TriggerHappy,

I have both as well. Like Lex (dlgdude) the 8103 is a bit smaller and fits in the hands. The 8103 holds 10 models the 9303 30 models.

Now if the 9303 has a DMS hard wired into it, then you can have that upgraded to DSMX but it cannot be upgraded to DMSS which is the new tendency.

If you are buying both used, the 8103 has a replaceable module so you can switch out it for the FRysky module or 2.4 modules offered by others. This has some advantage.

Programming for both is about the same and Sherman Knight's directions work well for both. You should have not problem there. The 9303 does have a bit more flight modes and rates settings. Mixes are about the same. all in all the 8103 will work well if you get a deal. I still fly mine on 72 (note to all you Poway competitors!) and it is my backup. On 72, it is nice because when you switch it on, there is not 2.4 assignment delay. The 8103 does do some flight modes, and you can change out switches if you want to do a pushbutton launch mode. I have mine set up to have a pushbutton on the gear switch which I then mix , via the mixes, to other functions as required. Both have dual rates and expo. The 8103 was a workhorse for a number of years until the more programmable 2.4's came out.

JR offers(ed) a plug in PC transfer module and this permits you to save off programming or install programming that some else sends you. It helps with backups as well. I have this and use it for both my 9303 and 8103.

If you are buying new, then my suggestion is to do the XG14 with DMSS or go with the others people mention. The Taranis, while open sourced and more programmable, does require you to know how to do things on your PC and the Tx. I have a local who was complaining to me that it took a bit more concentration to get that up and going with all the things you can do. I'll leave you to research the TX offerings and listen to everyones opinion here on the exchange.

So that's my opinion. I like both.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I'll probably go with the 9303.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:15 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,307 Posts
Quote:
The programming is very confusing if you are not familiar with the Spektrum Way.
I think you mean the JR way.

Quote:
If it is the same plane, it will need to be bound again.
With what Greg is looking at he won't need to rebind.

Quote:
A good point to be made is that at this point there isn't (to my knowledge) a DSMX module. The XP8103 or XP9303 would be DSM2. Personally I run the DSM2 module in my JR783 and am happy with it. Your DX6i I'm not sure if that was DSM2 or DSMX.

There is a DMSS module or maybe there will be one:

http://www.jramericas.com/211295/JRP03594B/

It doesn't look like it will be cheap though.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:24 PM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,648 Posts
Ryan,

I am running DSMX with a 6260 rx in my current install. I have DSMX 6255 in my other DLG. Since I had an issue with a lockout or binding loss with the DSMX 6255 at the Cal Challenge last year and lost a Validol, I went with the 6260 on the rebuild. I have a 655 in my Katana and all has been good, so no complaints there. I am not anywhere that DSMX would not be sufficient unless I got o Poway. We'll see how it works in May.

If I get another new TX, I will upgrade further to DSMSS but right now I can't afford to replace everything on DSMX.

Chris
Thermaln2 is online now Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:44 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,307 Posts
I'm not sure why DSMX wouldn't be sufficient in Powway. I'm sure it would be fine anywhere. I could be wrong of course and YMMV.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:21 PM
Mickey from Orlando. Really.
Joined Nov 2004
3,563 Posts
Quote:
there is not 2.4 assignment delay.
No delay with DSMX, DMSS or FrSky I own all three and connect time is essentially instant.
If you have assignment delay with a 6255 or 6260 then you are using a DSM2 tx module and it's doing DSM2 and not DSMX as the receiver will do both.
If you had a lockout, then this might have been the culprit.
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129