HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:29 PM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Build Log
Vintage Douglas A-1 Skyraider 62.5"

So I've been browsing the website outerzone(excellent site) for plans to scratchbuild, that wouldn't be too hard for a novice as myself. I believe I found what I'm looking for.

I'll be building the skyraider from a set of C.A.P. plans circa 1970. Designed for old school rc. I honestly think the 'raider is really ugly, but still a neat plane. I'll have to modify the plans somewhat for modern rc equipment and stuff like retracts.

I printed out the plans tiled (30-11x17 sheets!!), but I'm still looking for a place to print a full size plan to build on.
I've started to trace the fuse formers, and Its big! I use carbon paper already used at work to transfer the shapes. Im also going to try to cut out the outline and gluestick it to the wood. I hate cutting out parts w an exacto (cause I suck at it), but there is a lot of ply and thicker wood I can use the scroll saw on. I will attempt to use lighter wood where possible.
I plan to sheet all surfaces with 1-16 balsa.

I'll be posting pics tomorrow and will do my best to keep this thread updated.

I'm also always open to tips/suggestions/critiques, so don't hold back!.

My goal is framed up by the end of December. Not sure If I will cover/paint/or glass. If I glass I might go to 1/32 balsa to lower weight. Power system isn't final yet, but I have a power 60 400kv that will hopefully turn the 4 blader on 5-6s.(probably 6s).

Thanks for reading!

Daniel
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:17 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,952 Posts
I'd be going with 1/32 for the sheeting.Defently 6s on the battery.Just remember 2 blade is most efficient, then 3 then 4.But I like going for the KOOOOOOOL factor.If 4 blade is the is correct and you can make good power to fly the plane then go for it! I have a 3 blade on my glow to electric conversion Of a old arf Fw190a. Not the fastest but it looked kool and t he plane flew great. Check my blog for pictures.Looking forward to the build.
stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:01 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
615 Posts
You can take the PDF file on a jump drive to staples and have them pull the plans and print them full size. They are even able to enlarge or shrink the plans if you wanted it a different size.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:57 PM
whiirrrrrr
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
A little update on this. I had a friend print me out the pages on his large format printer. I've been hard at work spending several hours tracing and cutting ribs and formers.

Last night I pulled out the wing sheet to do a little marking for servos, flaps, wingtube, etc. As I was going through I just happened to put a yardstick on the plans. The wing on the plans was 54"

It's supposed to be 62.5"......................

Yes, the plans were printed out incorrectly.

So I've wasted about $15 in wood and several hours of my time for nothing. Not a great way to start a build. Hopefully we can get the plans reprinted at the correct size and move on from there.

I'm trying to keep a positive attitude!!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:04 PM
Joined Oct 2012
19 Posts
Go to a printer that does blueprints for builders of homes. They have to be accurate or homes dont get built right.
Tell them how imprtant accuracy is to the project.
Also check them before paying.

I just found these plans myself and searched onto this thread.
I cant find anything about these plans but there is a kit at Laserworks that has similar demensions.

Douglas AD-7
Skyraider
$130.81
By: Radio Control Model World Plans
Wingspan: 62 ― in.
.60 2-Stroke
4 Ch. Radio

I wonder if they are related in some fashion since the plans of both are from Engand.

I will be following along since this seems like a really nice plan to a uncommon plane.
marinefish666 is offline Find More Posts by marinefish666
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:15 PM
whiirrrrrr
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Not sure. The 1/10 scale is pretty popular for the skyraider. I did find one company that took the exact plans I have, added a few modifications, and now they sell a kit. Not sure if that's ethical or not....
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:17 PM
whiirrrrrr
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
It's skyshark RC. They say they are "cad drawn", but there is no denying the similarity. I mean it uses the EXACT same wing brace, the wing formers have identical notches in them, I mean the only difference is the skyshark has lightening holes.

It even uses the obsolete one servo and two belcranks for aileron control. Which is how the original was designed, in 1970. You mean to tell me that they couldn't figure out a 2 servo setup? No flaps just like the orig plans also.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:12 PM
Joined Oct 2012
19 Posts
It out of coyright so thats how things go.
I would be interested in the 2 servo setup but it is nice not haveing them in the wing.
What are the downsides of the bellcrank setup?
I have not looked into flaps yet but think i might try to put them in.
The problem I have and alot of people have is they keep adding little things like flaps and retracts til the weight and cost get out of control.
I think I might build a basic stock plane following the plans as quickly and cheaply as posable.
No beels and whistles just to test the basic design concept and get a feel for the plan.
This will give me insight to flaps,retracts coweling and canopy details.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:50 PM
Joined Dec 2004
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness View Post
It's skyshark RC. They say they are "cad drawn",
You better re-check your plans because the designs aren't even close!
Skyshark01 is offline Find More Posts by Skyshark01
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:51 PM
Joined Oct 2012
19 Posts
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2895

This is the plan we are talking about.
The original is from 1970.
The parts plan looks like its from the same company.
It will be simple enough to cut out the paper pieces and compare them to the plan.
Heck I will probly just do it over a light table.
This is the reason to make a basic airfame to test the drawings and figure out how things fit.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:08 PM
Joined Oct 2012
19 Posts
They are different but they are the same airplane so how far apart can they be?

.http://www.skysharkrc.com/item/110th...raider-Kit-862

That is a complete kit with all the bells and whistles you would expect.
It is also exactly 1/10 scale the English plan is 2 1/2" wider since it is a slightly different scale.

For the scratch builder it is nice to be able to get the cowel,canopy and small parts they sell.
It comes down to how you want to build and whats your time worth?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:12 PM
Joined Oct 2012
19 Posts
THEY HAVE A REALLY NICE MANUAL!!!
I will have to look into their other kits
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:00 PM
whiirrrrrr
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinefish666 View Post
THEY HAVE A REALLY NICE MANUAL!!!
I will have to look into their other kits
That it is. Very kind that they make it available for downloading too
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:09 PM
whiirrrrrr
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshark01 View Post
You better re-check your plans because the designs aren't even close!
Believe me, I did. I double checked before I would risk saying something like that. And I'll concede, 1. it's out of copyright, so who cares 2. Obviously a lot of cad time went into the SS plans. There are many things changed, almost exclusively to the fuse. But there is NO way, other than 1 and a trillion odds, that two people came up with the things I mentioned.

I'll say this, it might not be copied, but one was most certainly "influenced" by the other.