Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:25 AM
FlyGuy
Batavia, IL, USA
Joined Oct 2007
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

If you have 1 6000 mAh pack connected, and you want to charge it at 2C, either set the AUTO to 2C, or select a manual charge rate of 12A.

If you have 2 x 6000 mAh packs connected in parallel, and you want to charge at 2C, either set the AUTO to 2C, or select a manual charge rate of 24A. When you connect packs in parallel, you double the capacity.

Does this answer your question?

Tim Marks
Hi Tim,
The above seems to be just what I need to know; however, I'm sure I've tried this and many variations of it and I can't get it to work that way. For instance if I try to parallel charge four 6S5000 mAh batteries with the charger set for 40 amps, I don't get 40 amps. I usually get around 24 - 28 amps. It's like the charger senses the the batteries' ratings and will only go a little over their ratings.
Please help me.
ldhflyguy is online now Find More Posts by ldhflyguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:35 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhflyguy View Post
Hi Tim,
The above seems to be just what I need to know; however, I'm sure I've tried this and many variations of it and I can't get it to work that way. For instance if I try to parallel charge four 6S5000 mAh batteries with the charger set for 40 amps, I don't get 40 amps. I usually get around 24 - 28 amps. It's like the charger senses the the batteries' ratings and will only go a little over their ratings.
Please help me.
Hi:

Here are some possibilities:

1) The batteries are not substantially discharged to a level that will allow Constant Current mode.

2) Your power supply is either not providing the power for which it is rated, or it is noisy. If available, connect 2 12v Lead Acid batteries in series and give that a try.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Sep 13, 2011, 03:57 PM
FlyGuy
Batavia, IL, USA
Joined Oct 2007
353 Posts
Quote:
Hi:

Here are some possibilities:

1) The batteries are not substantially discharged to a level that will allow Constant Current mode.

2) Your power supply is either not providing the power for which it is rated, or it is noisy. If available, connect 2 12v Lead Acid batteries in series and give that a try.

Tim Marks
Hey Tim,
Thanks for being my Hero!
I tried changing a few more settings via my laptop. Basically I tried uping the limits on settings that I thought could be the problem, but nothing seemed to help.

Your first sentence in your item #2 above got me to thinking. I remembered that when I first tested my new system, which includes a Mean Well 1500 W supply, that I had to lower the Supply Low Voltage Limit setting for my PL8 in order to get it to function correctly. TO SOLVE MY CURRENT PROBLEM, I FURTHER LOWERED THE Supply Low Voltage Limit from about 23.4 volts to 22.0 volts AND NOW EVERYTHING SEEMS TO WORK PERFECTLY.

Thanks again Tim. I hope others will benefit from what I've learned.
ldhflyguy is online now Find More Posts by ldhflyguy
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Nov 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Matos View Post
Hi,

Customers have already requested a change to how parallel charge rate calculation works. Currently, it divides the set rate by the number of packs in parallel. But customers want it to multiply the preset’s charge rate by the number of packs in parallel. So, we like this idea. We’re going to change it. We hope to release a substantial firmware/CCS revision in 2 weeks or so. I think you will like how the new firmware will operate with regard to parallel charging. Please be patient for a little bit longer.
I was wondering if this change was ever made? Right now it divides the charge rate by the number of packs you have in parallel.
Eddie500 is offline Find More Posts by Eddie500
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:49 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie500 View Post
I was wondering if this change was ever made? Right now it divides the charge rate by the number of packs you have in parallel.
Hi:

Yes, the change was made. Currently the PL do not divide the set charge rate by the #P entered during start of a charge. They multiply the preset's charge rate by the #P entered. I'm afraid your statement is not correct unless you are running old firmware.

Tim Marks
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Nov 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Hi:

Yes, the change was made. Currently the PL do not divide the set charge rate by the #P entered during start of a charge. They multiply the preset's charge rate by the #P entered. I'm afraid your statement is not correct unless you are running old firmware.

Tim Marks
I think I know what I did wrong. I choose Generic Accurate charge. I choose this because it was the first option and while I was charging one battery it worked when I needed to charge a single battery at 10 amps.

But when I changed it to 4P, I expected it would charge at 40 amps, after selecting 10amp charge.

I did not think the 10 amp setting in Generic Accurate charge would limit a parallel to 10 amps also. So I assume this is what happened as I am charging on High Power now and it is working properly at 40 amps when I select 10 amps.
Eddie500 is offline Find More Posts by Eddie500
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:47 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie500 View Post
I think I know what I did wrong. I choose Generic Accurate charge. I choose this because it was the first option and while I was charging one battery it worked when I needed to charge a single battery at 10 amps.

But when I changed it to 4P, I expected it would charge at 40 amps, after selecting 10amp charge.

I did not think the 10 amp setting in Generic Accurate charge would limit a parallel to 10 amps also. So I assume this is what happened as I am charging on High Power now and it is working properly at 40 amps when I select 10 amps.
Hi:

That makes total sense. Yes, the PL will always limit the calculated parallel rate to the max the preset can output, which in the case of the Accurate Charge preset is 10A. Your solution is the correct one. Parallel Charging is one of the main reasons we have the High Power preset.

Tim Marks