HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,698 Posts
All the best with this Jay. Hope things go/have gone well.
Video would be tops at this time.

Brent.
Kaikokid is offline Find More Posts by Kaikokid
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 01:16 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,994 Posts
Sorry guys, no flight report !
I did a last minute check over before heading to the field . The last thing I fitted was the prop and spinner. I have them running true by using the shimmed washer solution i posted some time back but it is so out of balance, that I thought I should get that bit right before revving it up for flight. Bummer ! A preparation oversight.

Maybe I'll get another shot at it between Xmas and NY.

I'll go back and have a look how Gnats did his prop/spinner balance to get it as close to perfect as I can.

I'm hoping to get some decent shots of Angry Bee in fligh so I can send them to Flt Lt K. Goldring, who flew the real bird in its day.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Today, 02:56 AM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,698 Posts
Never mind. Next time !
P-40 takeoff explained - cockpit footage (1 min 38 sec)

And this .... NZ3125. Flying in NZ conditions. (Or is it ? )
P40 (5 min 39 sec)

It's another one my dad flew....
July 21 1944...'attacks' for 40mins.
And
August 3...4's formation for 40mins.

So what's known about this planes WW2 history apart from the fact that my dad was one of the many pilots to fly her ?
Not much.... from 'New Zealand Military Aircraft Serials and Aircraft History'
NZ3125 P-40N-1 28449 42-104687 - Assembled by No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville and BoC at Hobsonville on 25 June 1943. To No.2 OTU, Ohakea.
Sold to J. Larsen from Rukuhia on 02 March 1948.

And that's it. I'll try and find out more but so far no luck. When dad flew it it would have had code letters of FE- something. But did it have strips from overseas experience? Not known. This plane entered service right at the time when the RNZAF was at the peak of it's clash with the Japs. Many of the planes around it, serial number wise, were shot down and the pilots killed. However maybe this one never left our shores.
In the end I doubt much of the original plane still exists anyhow.http://www.pioneeraero.co.nz/2014/11...0-brake-drums/

Seeing the plane waggle it's wings at the crowd reminded me of a yarn I heard involving dad. One of his cousins told me this some time ago even before I was interested in RC flying.
He said to me "You know your father was a pilot during the war ?"
Oh yes I said. I know that.
"Well he was really good "
Hmm... I said.. he was only a flight sergeant.
"Well, he must have been good because he was in charge of his own flight ! "
Really I said... how do you know that ?
"Well.... me and your Uncle Morris ( Dads elder bother ) were down at the lake real early duck shooting. It was very quite...not a sign of duck anywhere. Then from nowhere came three Corsairs (I think that's what he said ) they came in real low from the other end of the lake. Right down on the water coming straight at us. When they pulled up over us the noise was deafening ! Suddenly there were ducks everywhere...... BANG....BANG....BANG ! We got plenty.
Then the planes came back and flew slowing past waggling their wings to us. Bloody marvellous !!"
Name: daffy_duck_leaning_against_a_wall_poster-ra7eca83153b4462c84e5eac5c648ddfd_geub_8byvr_512.jpg
Views: 1
Size: 29.8 KB
Description:
So... they both believed that was dad and his mates. The trouble I have with that story is that his log books don't really fit in with the duck shooting season ?
I'd love to think it was true...and dad remains somewhat vague about the details. I won't press to hard. It's a great yarn and there's no doubt that some RNZAF pilots did fly that 'Attack'.

Brent.
Kaikokid is offline Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Today, 03:42 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,994 Posts
Maybe they were hunting out of season which is why they didn't see any ducks until your dada and his buddies flew over ??

I'd be finding a reason to prove the yarn....it's a beauty.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz