HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:05 AM
Virginia Mountains
Joined Mar 2010
132 Posts
There was an update to the C-EPI firmware. Maybe that is the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeeg View Post
Why we are on the subject of strange discoveries, I have one to report that I just noticed today. I recently upgraded both of my Mikrokopter Quad's to the latest's firmware. This evening as I was tweaking some settings I noticed on my EPI-OSD, 7" LED display, that I was having my normal, nice solid signal being received by the MK from my radio transmitter. This signal intensity was hovering right around 196 to 200. When I activated my Altitude Hold switch this signal number instantly dropped down to 2 and started flashing at me on the EPI-OSD display. This exact occurrence is happening on BOTH of my Quads, however if I conduct the same experiment with my MK's hooked up to MKTool, page 8 of the LED screen shows that there is NO change in the strength of the received signal when I switch on the Altitude Hold. It only shows up on the output of the EPI-OSD display.
Now one of my MK's is using the AR700o receiver with a PPM converter while the other MK is using 4 satellites hooked into the Spektrum Diversity Board and I have the correct receiver setting selected in the Channels Tab in MKTool for both. I don't remember noticing this strange behavior prior to upgrading the firmware, but maybe I just never noticed it before? There is no indication that I am loosing the signal connection to my MK's and even on test flights at 5 to 6 hundred feet away, the signal seems to be rock solid even though it instantly switches from nearly 200 signal strength to 2 when I flip the Altitude Hold switch.
Anybody have any ideas or comments?
Tom
kirk222 is offline Find More Posts by kirk222
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:47 PM
https://vimeo.com/user3426040
Valencia, Spain
Joined Oct 2004
131 Posts
Hello,

I have an Hexacopter with a frsky receiver on it which has a joint ppm signal on chanel 8 , it is pluged on the flyctrl directly.

I try it last weekend and happened exactly the same you are posting.

I have probably 2/10 of a second losses of signal which fire the flyctrl alarm of no receiver attached, and motors do a small down throttle and everything continues normally. On MKtools you can clearly see how signal goes down to 0 and again to 199...

It happens when I activate the altitude hold switch. ut once you have activate it continue to happen with out it.

alfonso
Spain
abormor is offline Find More Posts by abormor
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:16 PM
Joined Jul 2009
2,190 Posts
thank you for your info, wiki said to connect navi directly with out fc, but u talk about power off and on for fc. u connect fc and navi during update right,

Quote:
Noppita,

When you begin your updating procedure you will see that on the MKTool screen it will show that it is "reading the file". Right after that it will say something like "Attempting to start bootloader". If, after a short period of time the bootloader does not start you will get the "time out" error message and that the "update failed".

Go and do the update procedure again, but this time try this: Just as the screen says "Attempting to load bootloader", at that second switch off the power to the FC then a second later switch it back on. In most instances this will force the bootloader to load itself. I just had to do this trick on mine two days ago & it worked perfectly.

Good luck,
Tom
noppita is offline Find More Posts by noppita
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:37 PM
Joined Jul 2009
2,190 Posts
this method did not work for me, re-install boot loader will be my last option

Quote:
Noppita,

When you begin your updating procedure you will see that on the MKTool screen it will show that it is "reading the file". Right after that it will say something like "Attempting to start bootloader". If, after a short period of time the bootloader does not start you will get the "time out" error message and that the "update failed".

Go and do the update procedure again, but this time try this: Just as the screen says "Attempting to load bootloader", at that second switch off the power to the FC then a second later switch it back on. In most instances this will force the bootloader to load itself. I just had to do this trick on mine two days ago & it worked perfectly.

Good luck,
Tom
noppita is offline Find More Posts by noppita
Old Apr 20, 2011, 06:03 PM
Tinkerer
Earth
Joined Oct 2005
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by booma View Post
+ another one here, I have had over half the MK3538 on my Okto replaced because of the bearings, I have given up sourcing them from MK because the RMA process is glacial ! I queried their quality control and was assured it was first class.....that is clearly a joke.

@ Nikivan, I was just running them individually from motortest in the MKtool to try and isolate the problem motor/s. I found rattling them around a bit by hand was quite effective as well.

Net result is I will never use MK motors again...AXI all the way from now on.
I find all this discussion around motor build QA very interesting. As a "price conscious, rough nut" builder I have invested some time in researching cheap options for multi rotor motors. In fact, I still have a box full of nearly new motors that I tried early in the piece.
To cut a long story short...when I used the KDA20-22L motors on my Aeroquad, the difference was obvious. Current drain, heat, power curve, all were satisfactory and it was tough little motor to boot. It's been three years since I tried these and I still have the original set in a quad that I fly frequently. Since then I have built 2 hexas and one more quad - all with KDA motors and flown over 100 flights without replacing any of the motors.
I am not crowing about the motors I use so much as wondering what is it about the motors you guys use that keeps you wanting to use them.
I guess one question question to ask is what is the "usual" weight you guys lift? What size props you use and then the trickiest question, what kind of flying do you do?
I read a fair bit of posts about motor issues in these posts, and it all tickles my curiosity.

Cheers
don_cocinero is offline Find More Posts by don_cocinero
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:53 PM
Joined Oct 2010
241 Posts
If I absolutely positively had to fly closer to people, what technical options are out there that could make it easier/safer?

I know about insurance, sensible flying and sneakers to run! Looking into a search & rescue application so getting a free haircut is the least of their problems..

A very light mikrokopter would help, carbon frame make much difference? Prop guards better than just a ring around the whole kopter would be good too. The kind you see around a fan, are they out there?

Something like this out there that could fit the mikrokopter similar to epp1045?

The kopter still needs to carry some fpv equipment and UHF control, so it cant be too small, and it must be strong enough to fly in high wind conditions..

Any other suggestions? Thanks!
hardhat is offline Find More Posts by hardhat
Last edited by hardhat; Apr 20, 2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:02 PM
Panama, San Miguelito
Joined Apr 2011
150 Posts
Red Light On NaviCtrl

Hi.

I'm new to this forum.

Setting up the Navictrl I have 4 green square indicators in
the MKTOOL main menu telling me good in FC,BL,Navi,Mk3mag.

When i go to the MK3MAG button a red light turns ON on the
NaviCtrl. The same happens with GPS function.

Calibrated the Compass.

Firmware are:
Navi. .22a
Fc. .82b
MK3Mag .22c

What could be happening???

Thanks.
albertog is offline Find More Posts by albertog
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:24 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleroi View Post
Has anyone figured out the cause of the recent GPS failures that I've been reading about?

I have four units. Two that I bought a few years ago are still working, but two that I bought a few months ago aren't. One of those worked for a few days and the other one never worked. They aren't completely dead, though, as they still communicate with U-center. In fact, the one that worked for a while is still sending out the last fix it had (in Anatarctica!) It appears that the receivers are dead.

I haven't had time to troubleshoot them and am hoping someone else has already found the reason.

Thanks,
Don
Don,
The symptom you are describing of a GPS that appears to work and communicate with mktools and U-blox ucentre but does not get a fix is due to damage to the antenna port of the ublox chip. I had one dead on arrival and the MK guys blamed me for causing an electrostatic discharge on the antenna lead while soldering it to the board. I use good technique so I don't buy that I caused it.

Having said that I now "painted" the top of the antenna and the soldered antenna post on the chip side of the GPS board with a very light coating of silicon conformal agent. I am hoping this will prevent any unintended electrostatic discharge to the antenna and fry my new GPS

the conformal agent also "waterproofs" and helps prevent vibration fatique on the electronics - or at least that's what the label says - just keep it off heat producing components

good luck trying to get any warranty work from MK

Al
alros_100 is online now Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Apr 21, 2011, 03:37 AM
Russian Federation, St Petersburg
Joined Jan 2007
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
the MK guys blamed me for causing an electrostatic discharge on the antenna lead while soldering it to the board.
Hi Al,

my GPS (well and everything else) is still on its way.
What is the correct soldering way they desire for us not to be guilty ?
Sitting on a rubber mat with a ground wire in a bracelet ?

I Mean, I was planning to just going to sit with a good soldering stations and do the job, what should I do, not to risk this ?

regards,
Ruud
Ruud Westerhout is online now Find More Posts by Ruud Westerhout
Old Apr 21, 2011, 04:22 AM
Philippines
Joined Dec 2010
542 Posts
aerobot props

Hi Simon.

Any chance you'd be producing these in the 10in format? I bought some 12in for my quad xl and I'm quite pleased with them.
Ab74 is offline Find More Posts by Ab74
Old Apr 21, 2011, 04:25 AM
Philippines
Joined Dec 2010
542 Posts
Hi Albertog.

I've no explanation, but it's normal to get that red light when you choose mk3mag and gps on mktools.

Thanks.

Arnold

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertog View Post
Hi.

I'm new to this forum.

Setting up the Navictrl I have 4 green square indicators in
the MKTOOL main menu telling me good in FC,BL,Navi,Mk3mag.

When i go to the MK3MAG button a red light turns ON on the
NaviCtrl. The same happens with GPS function.

Calibrated the Compass.

Firmware are:
Navi. .22a
Fc. .82b
MK3Mag .22c

What could be happening???

Thanks.
Ab74 is offline Find More Posts by Ab74
Old Apr 21, 2011, 05:33 AM
Mikrokopter Australia ;-)
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab74 View Post
Hi Simon.

Any chance you'd be producing these in the 10in format? I bought some 12in for my quad xl and I'm quite pleased with them.
Right now, we use the 10x45's GF props from Mikrokopter, they are much stiffer and well balanced. We will have a batch of 13x65's after Easter. We are still developing a 14 inch Multi-Rotor prop, but its slow going, i would say at least 3 months away....

Simon
simonjardine is offline Find More Posts by simonjardine
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:59 PM
Panama, San Miguelito
Joined Apr 2011
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab74 View Post
Hi Albertog.

I've no explanation, but it's normal to get that red light when you choose mk3mag and gps on mktools.

Thanks.

Arnold

Thanks!

I have read around and couldn't find anything related to that Red light that just comes when I choose those buttons.

There are no errors on MKTOOL and all seems to work...

Just that curiosity that something might be wrong... but if its normal i'm good to test the heli.

Thanks for your time.

Alberto.
albertog is offline Find More Posts by albertog
Old Apr 21, 2011, 01:16 PM
Joined Dec 2005
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_cocinero View Post
... I am not crowing about the motors I use so much as wondering what is it about the motors you guys use that keeps you wanting to use them.
I guess one question question to ask is what is the "usual" weight you guys lift? What size props you use and then the trickiest question, what kind of flying do you do?
I read a fair bit of posts about motor issues in these posts, and it all tickles my curiosity.

Cheers
Here you go: payload 1.8kg (Canon 550D, Sigma 10-20mm lens, 360-degree camera rig), props 13". You need bigger motors to carry this. A quad might be a bit underpowered and octo would be too complex and heavy, so I think hexa provides an ideal solution here. I went for MK3538 because of the reports for incredible efficiency and the fact they are using Pulso units (which have a good reputation). What I did not expect is to have QA issues with a product carrying such a premium price. Unfortunately, judging by the feedback here, this is not an isolated issue.
nikivan is offline Find More Posts by nikivan
Old Apr 21, 2011, 05:40 PM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk222 View Post
There was an update to the C-EPI firmware. Maybe that is the problem?
Thanks Kirk222,
I found out yesterday that the abnormality that I mentioned involving the transmitter signal strength reading ended up being a side effect of the new MK firmware. Yesterday, I rolled back to the previous MK firmware and the signal strength reading went back to normal, that is being unchanged when switching on Alt Hold.
Tom
tkeeg is online now Find More Posts by tkeeg