Old Jan 06, 2011, 02:53 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecirque View Post
Local Utah guys---
I'm local, trying to get into dlg....which means I may be showing up asking you guys for help. Hope that's ok.

I found a used Blaster 2 which appears to be pretty clean, with servos, no rx, shortened fuse. Couple repairs but nothing too unsightly.

Is this an ok place to start? Any input is appreciated. How much is too much to pay?

Mike
Cool, another Mike! Welcome!
Yes, yes, and yes. We have a great group of guys, all very willing to help. The Blaster 2 is a fantastic DLG, and very competitive. You can't go wrong with a B2. I sold my old B2 for $250 to a friend, but they usually go for a little more than that. New kits are $405, plus shipping, plus 4 servos, plus battery, plus plus plus... Around $550 or more rtf. $350 isn't too much to pay for a good used one in nice shape.

Watch this thread for flying announcements. Alex, Adrian, Jim, Jon, Matt (and others soon) all fly down in your area.

Mike
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:03 AM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
Is everyone going to fly with us on the 8th? Are we doing BDO or WSUD or Somewhere in SLC? We should probably decide today eh?

I'm OK with SLC if we get a good turn out from the South, but nobody's chimed in on a good spot. Should be centralized if possible.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Jan 06, 2011, 12:50 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
Yep, that's a challenge. If we have it up north then some of the less dedicated southern guys won't come. Vice versa if we have it down south. That's why I've been trying to find some middle ground. Jim said he would try to check out those SLC locations for us tomorrow. I think once we get guys excited about the contests they will be more willing to travel anywhere along the front once a month to participate. Some of us are already there, but with such a small group we need nearly everybody to make it work.

They are still saying Saturday will be mixed sun & clouds and 35, with the front not arriving until after sundown. So maybe we can beat it. I just don't know, and don't know which location to specify without causing our numbers to dwindle to a level where a contest is no longer possible. We need at least 6. I'm ready to rock and am OK with anywhere. Pipe in guys, and let's firm up what we want to do on Saturday.

I'm flying WSUD at noon today, and probably tomorrow as well if anyone wants to join me.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 12:55 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,134 Posts
I cant do Saturday. Sorry for not being commited enough. I am more "commited" than commited.

Also there is no way I can do a monthly fly, but I will be flying lots at the sod farm DLG style.

Just have way to much on my plate.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:05 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
Here's what BDO looked like yesterday. WSUD is about the same. Both very flyable. Thanks for the pic Greg.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:07 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
I cant do Saturday. Sorry for not being commited enough. I am more "commited" than commited.

Also there is no way I can do a monthly fly, but I will be flying lots at the sod farm DLG style.

Just have way to much on my plate.
We'll miss ya Jon. Would you come if we started talkin smack to ya.

As far as the monthly comp goes. I don't think we'll expect everyone there, but it'll be a time that we'll schedule anyway and whoever can make it will be great.
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:12 PM
Joined May 2002
17,134 Posts
Would love you to talk some Smack. Will make it sweeter when I beat you with my beater!!!!

Heres hoping Captain Alex is staying asleep as a group of Dr's make thier boat payments!!!

Let me know when you want the DVD's and how to get them to you Alex.

Hope your surgery goes well and the recovery is speedy.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:19 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,856 Posts
My situation for Saturday has not changed. I'm out. But I am very interested in the monthly competitions as long as they don't conflict with my pylon racing.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:00 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
I made it out to fly with Mike today. Conditions were a bit more overcast than yesterday, but the sun was doing it job. We found consistent lift at the border of the field and parking lot.

Mike's Stobel V2 is a floater, he spent most of the time trimming it out.

Here are the flight logs from today, made it all the way to 179'
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:56 PM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
824 Posts
Surgery went well. 7 screws and a plate. Six weeks before I can put weight on it, but that's better than 3 months! So, unless something changes, I'll be there Saturday. I'll just need launch support! looking forward to flying with you guys.
Extremeace is offline Find More Posts by Extremeace
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:46 PM
Combat: You're doing it wrong.
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Sep 2009
1,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremeace View Post
Surgery went well. 7 screws and a plate. Six weeks before I can put weight on it, but that's better than 3 months! So, unless something changes, I'll be there Saturday. I'll just need launch support! looking forward to flying with you guys.
That's commitment for you....or addiction.
chewbaccah is offline Find More Posts by chewbaccah
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:03 AM
Joined May 2002
17,134 Posts
Good to hear it went well. Hope you have a smooth recovery. I will happily chuck your bird for you until you are "Man enough" to do it yourself again.

Heres my 2 cents and since I have the same thing in my leg I can give it, well I'd give it even if I didnt have a bad leg. Take it easy. Superman is cool and all, but you mess that leg up in the healing process and you are screwed.........

PS do you need a special delivery of DVD's to help you sleep???
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:24 AM
Spins With Gliders
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Aug 2005
1,822 Posts
Hey gang -- Have you firmed up the date for BSOU yet? We're having our season planning meeting next week, and would like to be able to schedule around BSOU.
djensen is offline Find More Posts by djensen
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:31 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
Plan on September 17-18.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 03:38 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
New Sites?

ecase and I went and looked over the flying sites Mike found online. I'll do my best to keep this brief for all you ADHD folks (LeMon).

They are in no way comparable to BDO or the sod farm. Site 5 in the pic may be the best possibility, but there's at least 6" of snow.

1 & 2 - A lot of undulations in the terrain (LeMon - that means hilly) think rolling hills on a golf course... only it isn't grass. We saw a fox out in the middle of site 2, maybe we could teach him to retrieve planes

4 - Mike held out the most hope for this one, it's flatter than the previous sites, but there are a bunch of tall clumps of weeds.

5 - no picture, sorry it's off of a round-about and there is no where to park right now.

Bottom line is we'll need to wait for the snow to melt, to get a decent feel for the area. There is a lot of water around.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The day was not a total bust, I figured out how to assign the spoilerons to the right side slider. I can now start learning how to do the quick turnarounds . I flipped the bird 3 times and on the last flight I managed to bring it in for a left handed catch .
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky