Old Jun 25, 2016, 06:56 PM
Find More Posts by USAF_Ret
United States, WA, Monroe
Joined Apr 2013
70 Posts
Discussion
Blade 180CFX Tail Servo / Upgrade

Today while flying my 180, the tail servo completely froze and when I removed it from the heli, I was unable to move the servo arm in either direction.

While I didn't have a 76T servo at hand, I did have a Lynx DS-895 and thought I would try that as it at least has metal gears. I had to reverse the servo through the transmitter, but the tail slider appears to be working properly.

Next I went to spin it up and the the heli started rotating clockwise. I reduced the throttle and gave full left rudder and the began rotating counter-clockwise. In either case, given full rudder to the opposite rotation had no impact on the initial rotation but after throttle down and giving opposite rudder the heli would again rotate uncontrollable.

This seems very odd to me.... As if the heading gyro is not working.... However, after initializing the FBL and manually yawing the nose, the tail slider appears to react as you would expect.

Just for fun I reversed the rudder servo via the transmitter again with no change....

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to resolve this?

I really don't like the 76T servo given the nylon gears but can't seem to find a replacement.

Your comments are welcome.

USAF_Ret
USAF_Ret is offline Find More Posts by USAF_Ret
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2016, 06:26 AM
Find More Posts by spykez
Cá bhfuil an linn snámha?
Joined Jul 2011
2,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF_Ret View Post
Today while flying my 180, the tail servo completely froze and when I removed it from the heli, I was unable to move the servo arm in either direction.

While I didn't have a 76T servo at hand, I did have a Lynx DS-895 and thought I would try that as it at least has metal gears. I had to reverse the servo through the transmitter, but the tail slider appears to be working properly.

Next I went to spin it up and the the heli started rotating clockwise. I reduced the throttle and gave full left rudder and the began rotating counter-clockwise. In either case, given full rudder to the opposite rotation had no impact on the initial rotation but after throttle down and giving opposite rudder the heli would again rotate uncontrollable.

This seems very odd to me.... As if the heading gyro is not working.... However, after initializing the FBL and manually yawing the nose, the tail slider appears to react as you would expect.

Just for fun I reversed the rudder servo via the transmitter again with no change....

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to resolve this?

I really don't like the 76T servo given the nylon gears but can't seem to find a replacement.

Your comments are welcome.

USAF_Ret
The as3X on a stock 180 has no way AFAIK of resetting settings to compensate for servos that come with anything other than the expected stock DS76T direction of travel given an arbitrary PWM signal. For that matter, refresh rate, throw and speed as well.

If you reverse the rudder channel on your radio, be aware what you are doing is reversing the channel sent to the receiver from the radio.

It is the gyro ultimately that sends the PWM signal to the servo.

What I'm saying is whatever servo you slap on the 180 with a stock As3x, the way it turns with respect to, say an increase in the PWM width sent to it should mirror the DS76T. I can't recall off hand which way a DS76T turns wrt an increase in the PWM but if a DS76T goes clockwise, then your new servo must do the same.

I'm not sure how the Lynx servo works, but if it is a direct drop in you may have other issues:

Next you need to check you've mounted the servo the right way so the spin of the output shaft and the translation of that into the appropriate push or pull of the tail pushrod matches the stock setup.

Next you need to make sure you did not accidentally flip your grips.
spykez is online now Find More Posts by spykez