Old May 30, 2016, 05:04 AM
Find More Posts by Dylon Gallagher
Joined Sep 2015
33 Posts
Discussion
Help!

Hey guys!
I'm new here and have posted some embarrassing posts that received some embarrassing answers.
I am looking at getting into fpv as quick as possible but I understand I need a trainer way before that.

Why can't anyone start with fpv? I fly flight sim all the time and using a flight stick makes it very similar. Couldn't I just get a crash-able plane?

If I have to, how do I have as little steeping stones as possilble?
Isn't there a way to minimize the amount of planes and time spent training?

If anyone read my last post I regret annoying the elitests. K?
Thanks
Dylon Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by Dylon Gallagher
Last edited by Dylon Gallagher; May 30, 2016 at 05:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2016, 05:48 AM
Find More Posts by jobinseattle
Joined Nov 2014
759 Posts
You can start wherever you like and what your paycheck can support. I bought and crashed 10-15 planes before I decided I should probably seek help.
jobinseattle is online now Find More Posts by jobinseattle
Old May 30, 2016, 06:20 AM
Find More Posts by Piece
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Aug 2009
13,368 Posts
Quote:
Couldn't I just get a crash-able plane?
Heck yeah! I'll trade you some crashable planes for your uncrashable ones.
Piece is offline Find More Posts by Piece
Old May 30, 2016, 06:43 AM
Find More Posts by Grup
Spain, Comunidad Valenciana, València
Joined Jan 2004
1,380 Posts
The Horizon Hobby StratoCam has an FPV system, and it's a very beginner friendly plane. I had it's predecessor, the Stratus; same plane without FPV. If you are wanting FPV and you are a beginner, this is one of the best ones to get.

see at: http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...am-rtf-hbz8500
Grup is offline Find More Posts by Grup
Old May 30, 2016, 06:48 AM
Find More Posts by JohnFM
United States, WY
Joined Oct 2014
2,451 Posts
[QUOTE=Dylon Gallagher

If anyone read my last post I regret annoying the elitests. K?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Calling people elitists who would help but think you fail to understand the difficulties of your quest will get you nowhere.
JohnFM is online now Find More Posts by JohnFM
Old May 30, 2016, 06:51 AM
Joined Sep 2015
33 Posts
Sorry. By Crashable I meant able to withstand crashes.
Old May 30, 2016, 06:54 AM
Find More Posts by Boogie_
killed another thread
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
3,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylon Gallagher View Post
Sorry. By Crashable I meant able to withstand crashes.
And I suppose you'll need "crashable" FPV equipment too?
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old May 30, 2016, 06:55 AM
Joined Sep 2015
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grup View Post
The Horizon Hobby StratoCam has an FPV system, and it's a very beginner friendly plane.
Thanks so much. This is the perfect plane for me.
Although there is one problem. I don't think it does do fpv or live video. Is there an easy way to modify it?
Old May 30, 2016, 07:25 AM
Find More Posts by JohnFM
United States, WY
Joined Oct 2014
2,451 Posts
There's an entire section in these forums dedicated to just FPV, why don't you ask for help there and get out of the general flying area ?
JohnFM is online now Find More Posts by JohnFM
Old May 30, 2016, 08:59 AM
Find More Posts by BoxCar31
Perpetual Noob
United States, NC, Arden
Joined May 2015
1,305 Posts
Keep this in mind

Quote:
Hey guys!
I'm new here and have posted some embarrassing posts that received some embarrassing answers.
I am looking at getting into fpv as quick as possible but I understand I need a trainer way before that.

Why can't anyone start with fpv? I fly flight sim all the time and using a flight stick makes it very similar.
Thanks
Flying FPV is like having blinders on as you can only see what the camera presents. It does not provide any peripheral vision or situational awareness. Responsible FPV flyers always have a spotter to let then know if something is coming from outside the field of view and also to keep the model in sight should it go down. You would have no idea how far you were from the flight line if you couldn't see behind you.

While you can learn to fly using only FPV, try walking around with binoculars in front of your eyes and see how well you get around.
BoxCar31 is offline Find More Posts by BoxCar31
Old May 30, 2016, 10:08 AM
Find More Posts by papadwight
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
1,701 Posts
A very easy 3 channel plane with FPV is now the radian set up with everything but head set a grEAT PLANE TOO.
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2016, 10:28 AM
Joined Sep 2015
33 Posts
actually. Thanks for all the help. I've been stupid. I don't need fpv. I will start off small.
http://store.ftstem.com/ft-sparrow-glider-version/
Ft sparrow for my first plane.
This is cheap and perfect. I'd recommend it.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by Thecheesemiester
Now a BMFA Member!
United Kingdom, Royal Tunbridge Wells
Joined Jun 2015
569 Posts
Good choice. I promise you you will enjoy WAAAYYYY are starting out with a small, slow, easy t fly plane and gradually getting bigger and faster. Once you have got good at flying the sparrow, add FPV to it. flite test designed it to be able to take a FPV camera.

BTW, the link you posted is for FT stem, and you must buy at least 10 kits to get the price reduction. just but t from here:
http://store.flitetest.com/ft-mighty-mini-sparrow/

Also, the sparrow needs a power pack, receiver and 2s 800 man lipo to fly. what you linked to is a free flight glider, but the one i linked is a power plane.

I can thoroughly recommend the Hobbyzone delta ray. it costs about $175 and is a fantastic first plane, and is super easy to fix if you crash. Also, eventually you can add fpv. it isn't gonna be able to carry a GoPro or anything like that, but a micro fpv cam or even a fatshark 25mw vex and 700tvl camera will fit. i flew it as my first FPV plane, and it was very easy to learn to FPV on cos it is slow and floaty.

The delta ray gives pretty decent flight times flying gently, and can fly in a average sized football pitch (I'm not from the USA so I'm not sure how big a baseball pitch is, but i flew mine on a 'Soccer' pitch, and a cricket ground). it needs about a 100mx100m area to fly comfortably.
Thecheesemiester is offline Find More Posts by Thecheesemiester
Old May 30, 2016, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by SportyModder
United States, MT, Lolo
Joined Jul 2015
152 Posts
Quote:
actually. Thanks for all the help. I've been stupid. I don't need fpv. I will start off small.
http://store.ftstem.com/ft-sparrow-glider-version/
Ft sparrow for my first plane.
This is cheap and perfect. I'd recommend it.
I don't think I would call you stupid. Ignorant, or overly ambitious maybe.

Starting small is good, and in this hobby cheap is relative. I am new to this aspect of the hobby myself and these guys will help you if you swallow the humble pie and listen to their advice.
The FT birds are great, and cheap, but they can be built wrong and unflyable. I would recommend picking up a plane that is preassembled and ready to fly(rtf). Depending on the space you have to fly I recommend the " Champ" or the "Hobby Zone Super Cub".
I taught myself to fly with the super cub, and how to repair it.
SportyModder is offline Find More Posts by SportyModder
Old Jun 01, 2016, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by smoothvirus
United States, VA, Franconia
Joined Sep 2010
2,610 Posts
I was going to post this in your other thread but I'll put it here instead. I think starting out with one of the Flite Test planes is a very good idea.

If you're looking for a "cheap" first FPV plane I put together a build list here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2665603

Here's an example of a EPP foam FPV trainer - it's "crashable": http://www.stoneblueairlines.com/air...hoenix-46.html

here's what I was about to post in the other thread
-----------------------------------------

To fly 15-30 miles out and back you're going to need an FPV equipped aircraft equipped with a 1.3ghz video transmitter, which is efficient enough to cut through winds and capable of carrying a large enough battery to make the trip - the MultiStar batteries from Hobby King are good for this purpose.
Some examples of models capable of pulling this off:
Finwing Sabre
XUAV Talon
XUAV Mini Talon
Skyhunter
Skywalker 1900
Skywalker X8
Phantom FX-61

Your control radio will need to be equipped with a long range system running 433mhz UHF (i.e. Dragonlink or EzUHF) or 900mhz if you want to get a Crossfire.

As I said costs for everything will be from about $1000-$1500 depending on what you include in your build and if you can get stuff on sale.

You will need some basic skills in soldering electronics - which isn't hard to learn. The most important skill you will need is experience, and the best and cheapest way to get experience is to start simple and build up from there. For what it's worth, I flew FPV for a year before I made it out 1 mile.

If you're unfamiliar with FPV start here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2398048
smoothvirus is offline Find More Posts by smoothvirus