Which is more competitive P-30?
hunterdude is offline Find More Posts by hunterdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2015, 03:16 PM
Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
632 Posts
{ have seen the Barron's make a family thing of a squadron of Square Eagles at the Free Flight Nats in P-30, and even the kids did well. I have built a One Night 28 for P-30 but I needed to lengthen the wing span to reach 30 inches. There is no provision for dethermalizer on the plans, so you need to figure out your own. I moved the vertical Stab forward to make a pop-up Horizontal stab. D.T.. The second picture shows a launch at the Maj. Richard Bong Rec. Area in Wisconsin. Note the weeds which make retrieval challenging. I've made nearly 2 minutes flying there. Need to pay attention to weight to do better.
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
Old Jun 25, 2015, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,166 Posts
In my opinion, the One Night 28 was a good step up from the One Night 16 and/or the Peck embryo (name slips my mind). The Sq Eagle is an excellent first competition P-30. Back in the day, the Sq. Eagle cost almost twice as much as the One Nite and it was a case of you got what you paid for. Both kit wise and performance.

Given a choice, I would go with the Sq Eagle.

Norm
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
Old Jun 26, 2015, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by Majestyk
Westminster,Ca.
Joined Feb 2006
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Furutani View Post
In my opinion, the One Night 28 was a good step up from the One Night 16 and/or the Peck embryo (name slips my mind). The Sq Eagle is an excellent first competition P-30. Back in the day, the Sq. Eagle cost almost twice as much as the One Nite and it was a case of you got what you paid for. Both kit wise and performance.

Given a choice, I would go with the Sq Eagle.

Norm

I agree with Norm on this one. Both of us having known Bob Peck, if he were to design a P-30 it would have been full size not 28". I believe the "One-Nite 28" just happened to be there already when P-30 began. Being it was smaller than a full size P-30 it still fit within the required rules. Since then, its kind of just come along for the ride. Nothing wrong with that.

The "Square Eagle" on the other hand, was/is a better first model to build, and fly for the new person. (It was for me) Plus, it fits the P-30 rules should one decide to get into some contest flying. I was fortunate to build 2 from original kits, which were works of art at that time. I've read the "Square Eagle" kits being made again.

And Norm, whenever I read or think about the "Square Eagle" I always remember Bob I.

Majestyk.....
Majestyk is offline Find More Posts by Majestyk
Old Jun 26, 2015, 09:27 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestyk View Post
I agree with Norm on this one. Both of us having known Bob Peck, if he were to design a P-30 it would have been full size not 28". I believe the "One-Nite 28" just happened to be there already when P-30 began. Being it was smaller than a full size P-30 it still fit within the required rules. Since then, its kind of just come along for the ride. Nothing wrong with that.

The "Square Eagle" on the other hand, was/is a better first model to build, and fly for the new person. (It was for me) Plus, it fits the P-30 rules should one decide to get into some contest flying. I was fortunate to build 2 from original kits, which were works of art at that time. I've read the "Square Eagle" kits being made again.

And Norm, whenever I read or think about the "Square Eagle" I always remember Bob I.

Majestyk.....
Hi M,
Bob I. built both the One Nite and Sq Eagle. Your "Majestyk P-30" is still one of the very best P-30 kits. Hope the new guy doing Campbells kits will keep it in the Campbells line.

Norm
Old Jun 26, 2015, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by Majestyk
Westminster,Ca.
Joined Feb 2006
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Furutani View Post
Hi M,
Bob I. built both the One Nite and Sq Eagle. Your "Majestyk P-30" is still one of the very best P-30 kits. Hope the new guy doing Campbells kits will keep it in the Campbells line.

Norm
Thank you, and I hope so too.

Majestyk....
Majestyk is offline Find More Posts by Majestyk
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:28 AM
Find More Posts by TRuss
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,043 Posts
I just learned of the Retro R/C free flight stuff the other day. It was an exciting discovery and hopefully it will be successful enough to allow them to continue with it for a while.
TRuss is offline Find More Posts by TRuss
Old Jun 26, 2015, 09:21 PM
Find More Posts by hunterdude
Joined Dec 2010
96 Posts
Blue Ridge Models

Square Eagle order has been placed!...I actually kind of like the overall look and lines of it, I also think it is time for me to try a DT and I would rather my first was a proven design. The sheet balsa fuse will be a first for me, I guess the theory is more lumber/ less glue?
I also ordered the Blue Ridge Special....said to be performance minded sport flyer stick fuse model...looks to be fun little build.
So if you have build tips for Square Eagle or Blue Ridge Special? please share!
hunterdude is offline Find More Posts by hunterdude
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:01 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,166 Posts
Easy on the glue. A good SE kit should build close to the 40g minimum weight (no rubber). When you open the plan, notice the skewed dihedral joints. This is on purpose and not a mistake. The stab and rudder are light frames. Use alcohol to shrink so it doesn't turn into a pretzel. Especially true of the rudder.

Check back when you get the kit.

Norm
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:04 PM
Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Joined Mar 2011
1,488 Posts
Go with the square eagle, I sold the first one i build and won an 3th place on Nats on Lost Hills. build a second, and loosed even with TD activated, the third on is getting trimmed.
colibriguitars is offline Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:18 PM
Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Joined Mar 2011
1,488 Posts
Square Eagle P30 maiden (1 min 23 sec)
colibriguitars is offline Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Old Jun 27, 2015, 02:21 AM
Find More Posts by atesus
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibriguitars View Post
Go with the square eagle, I sold the first one i build and won an 3th place on Nats on Lost Hills. build a second, and loosed even with TD activated, the third on is getting trimmed.
I love that black and yellow one, very handsome!
atesus is offline Find More Posts by atesus