Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 05, 2015, 07:33 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
980 Posts
Hey Wayne,

Way to go! Do a build log for the Sailaire re-do. There aren't very many build logs any more. It would be nice to see what you do.

Last year I was flying my Oly III and came in on my final all set up right in front of me for touch down and I forgot that the wind switched and I'm doing a down wind landing. It touched down about 30-40ft in front of me and just wouldn't stop. It slid directly under a friend of mine's car and both wings hit his left front and right rear tires at the same time and came to a sudden stop. It looked like an F18 landing on a carrier. No damage to the vehicle but it cracked one of the ribs on the outer leading edge of the left wing. No real major damage, just cosmetic. Until I got home and took it out of my truck and dropped it on the garage floor and broke the tail feathers.

So I hung it up and have ignored it for a year. The other day I was cleaning up some stuff in the garage and found a fiberglass fuselage made for a shoulder mount wing, that I forgot I had.

So I thought I would resurrect my Oly III and do some modifications to it at the same time, seeing how I like to screw with things.

I'm going to lengthen the nose and tail moments on the fuselage. It will have a 3" longer nose and 6" longer tail. That will give it a total length of 58". Then, I'll fiberglass the extensions and paint it. It should be lighter than the stock Oly III fuse and it will definitely look different. Not that there's anything wrong with the Oly III fuse. I just like changing things. Then I'm going to strip all the covering on the wing and repair the rib and LE. I'll build some custom tail feathers for the new fuse and while I'm at it, just for kicks I think I'll make some new wing tips and make them a semi winglet tip. Then recover it in a new color.

It should be fun and shouldn't really affect the flying performance of the Oly III. Especially the way I fly.

I'll post some pictures as I get started, showing how I can really screw things up.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2015, 11:44 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,593 Posts
Eddie, here is what I am starting with. Overall, things look good, getting the Sagitta and Sailaire flight ready shouldn't take too much effort. I won't really know until I get the covering off the wings. Enjoy the pictures.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Jan 05, 2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 07:37 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,051 Posts
Well the 3 engines are ready for the dip brazer, now on to the rudder parts

These 3 " sq blanks are for the cable quadrant that rotates the rudder

Lighting holes are in now, will get turned round and the two .050 wide cable grooves put in then trimmed into the tee shape

Two mounting brackets are next, then the 5" tall rudder out of 3/16 thick alum

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jan 11, 2015, 08:45 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,711 Posts
Way to go Don!I was wonderin'- if ya used shapeways for your printed parts, or someone else.
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Air Wolf: Here I come!
Old Jan 11, 2015, 09:43 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,051 Posts
Thanks John

My 3 D outdrive parts were printed on a Objet machine that can print in .0006 layers, I think that is the thinnest layering you can get now

They came out great but the car bodys were a different story

The race car body was spossed to be done in .0006 but they pulled a fast one on me and printed them at .005 standard stuff as you can see in the pic how rough it is

It will take a lot of primer and sanding for a mold ready part, and that is not what I wanted and the shop knew that too

That's Racing, G Don
Old Jan 12, 2015, 02:40 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,711 Posts
Yeh- it sure is Don!the new info is micro printing now-a fella would be needing a.002 diameter nozzle to get the results-a piece with a diameter of 1 mm with details! here's about the best i can get- a touch out of focus, and .020(.4mm nozzle.
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Air Wolf: Here I come!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 08:01 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,593 Posts
One step closer to actually throwing this thing. Still need to do the fiberglass reinforcements on the tips and across the center section but it is coming along. Pretty soon I will begin working on the tail sections. Steady on my fellow builders, steady on.

Wayne
Old Jan 17, 2015, 01:23 AM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,051 Posts
Hi Wayne

Boy that baby has got a long tail boom, and i'am a guessing so that you can use small & very light tail feathers ?

G Don
Old Jan 17, 2015, 09:38 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,593 Posts
Good morning Don,

The tail boom still needs to be cut down so it is a little long at the moment. Good eye there.

Wayne
Old Jan 17, 2015, 05:24 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,051 Posts
Slobod taught me good on what to watch for when scratch building, so after you build your it will fly well and not do dumb stuff

G Don