SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2015, 03:44 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,665 Posts
Sounds like a bad (weak) ESC. My bet is the new one will fix your problem.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2015, 06:35 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,120 Posts
Have you tried running the motor without the Servos connected.

Most of the heat produced by an ESC is from the BEC portion, as to reduce the voltage in the standard Linear offerings it has to lose the energy someway.

A stalling servo would pull excess current thereby producing more heat.

I have a separate Switching BEC for the Rx and 6 servos in my FunCub and the ESC comes down barely warm even though pulling up to 35 Amps as the BEC portion is not used and that is a 40Amp ESC.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Jan 18, 2015, 08:07 PM
Joined Jun 2014
76 Posts
I haven't tried running the motor without the servos connected.
Would the BEC still produce heat if the servos were sitting in neutral position?
I was under the impression that the Bec would only get hot if the servos were drawing excess current. They are 5 gram servos and the control surfaces on a BB are quite small - so loads on them are small. I have minimum throw on the servo and max throw on the control horns.

I flew the BB this morning using a 6 x 4 prop and 3S Lipo battery and had no issues - although the ESC was fairly hot after the flight - probably 15 - 20 deg above ambient temp of 30 deg C
I was a bit concerned initially as to whether that size prop would supply sufficient thrust to fly the plane adequately - but found after launch that I was able to throttle back to half and maintain level flight easily.
So I will fly it like than now and hope the ESC doesn't let me down in the future.
Yachtie04 is offline Find More Posts by Yachtie04
Old Jan 19, 2015, 06:40 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,844 Posts
I find this very confusing. I was running the 1300 Kv HXT 2730 on my first quadcopter with 10A ESCs on 8x4.5 props powered with a 2200 mAh 3s battery. None of them ever got hot.

You commented that the ESC was hot, but what about the motor? If you are overloading the motor and consequently the ESC , then the motor should be hot also. If just the ESC is hot, then I'd concur with bz1mcr, that you have an ESC problem.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Jan 19, 2015, 08:44 PM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2004
1,379 Posts
Hi guys it's been a while since I have posted here I have been rather in the dumps and just started to try to come back as my friends have been getting me back into building since my wife passed away. I have always had great respect to all here and hope to post a new build of a blu baby that I will be naming after her. Thanks to all here

Jim
laserman is offline Find More Posts by laserman
Old Jan 19, 2015, 08:47 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,844 Posts
Jim,
So good to hear from you. Very sorry for the loss of your wife.

Looking forward to seeing your new Blue Baby.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Jan 20, 2015, 02:52 AM
Joined Jun 2014
76 Posts
I did another 15 min flight this morning with the BB
I used the 6 x 4 APC prop and 800 mah 3S Lipo battery.
Plane flew well and on landing checked temp of motor, battery and ESC
Motor and battery at ambient temp.
ESC about 10 - 12 deg above ambient - quite warm but not hot - considerably cooler than when I used the 8 x 4 prop. (The ESC is inside the fuselage just under the wing so no airflow across it to speak of)
Ken - it is obvious from what you are saying that there is a problem somewhere with my set-up and it is looking like it could be the ESC.
Even with an 8 x 4 APC prop neither the motor or battery get warm.
Once I can get the connectors for the watt meter and can do some amperage readings I will post them here.
Yachtie04 is offline Find More Posts by Yachtie04
Old Jan 20, 2015, 03:02 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
Jim,
So good to hear from you. Very sorry for the loss of your wife.

Looking forward to seeing your new Blue Baby.

Ken
Indeed! Condolences, and looking forward to seeing your build.

Mark
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Jan 20, 2015, 09:06 AM
Is it spring yet?
United States, UT, Vernal
Joined Nov 2014
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserman View Post
Hi guys it's been a while since I have posted here I have been rather in the dumps and just started to try to come back as my friends have been getting me back into building since my wife passed away. I have always had great respect to all here and hope to post a new build of a blu baby that I will be naming after her. Thanks to all here

Jim
Welcome back Jim! I'm sorry to hear your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

Although I didn't lose my wife, I did lose my mother to a brain tumor three years ago Christmas Eve. I have found that a hobby (most recently my aircraft hobby) takes my mind off of things, almost too much at times.
Robert4613 is offline Find More Posts by Robert4613
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:50 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Nov 2013
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserman View Post

Jim
Sorry for your loss, but welcome back to this lovely hobby! I'm rather new to this thread, and just started my blu baby build yesterday. All the foam bits are cut out, just need to start gluing and installing electronics.
makattack is offline Find More Posts by makattack
Old Jan 20, 2015, 01:11 PM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2004
1,379 Posts
I hope to start on a new fuse for a bb42 as I have the wing built and it has flown before but due to weak mounts for the wing to fuse the wing separated from the fuse and the wing fluttered down, while the fuse did a nose in From about 200 ft
laserman is offline Find More Posts by laserman