HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2014, 05:28 AM
More air time please!
Australia, VIC, Bayswater
Joined Sep 2013
326 Posts
New Product
Dynam Seawind

OK Pilots, The Dynam Seawind has finally arrived in Australia.

wingspn:1220mm(48in)
length:1045mm(41.1in)
wing Area:23d㎡
wing loding:54.3/d㎡
Esc:40A
motor:BM3715A KV1050
Servos:9G*5PCS
Battery:11.1V 2200MAH 25C
Weight:1250g(44.3oz)
Radio:4ch
Rc Func:AIL,ELE, MOTOR,RUD

The first impression was! Wow it BIGGER than I expected yet having a 1.2m wingspan. It is very chunky looking, soooo beefy... the foam parts are so thick and strong.

The only part to worry about is the elevator, which i will post a photo later, in flight its no probs... just could be damaged during transport... in and out of car/house maybe if not careful.

Prop is pretty Big as well, not listed offically the size, but i think its a 10 -11 inch i will have to confirm later on. just clearing the fuse. There is no fear of the Prop hitting the fuse due to flex of the motor pod... its stiff has with very minimum flex.

with the Big prop like that and such small engine mount (cowl) it should be pretty efficient.

I was especially impressed with the winglets, they are as chunky as can be, will last forever without getting soft and bendy like other planes that gets handled/hit too much.

I like the looks so much i wont be putting wheels on. Just belly all the way.
Servo for the nose steerable gear is included and fitted. (just tuck the leads away if not needed or Rip it out)

Canopy fits nicely, and well molded. I will Maiden it this Saturday at our local club, and will then work on a FPV setup if all goes well.

Quick play with the C of G , it seems a 3300 will run fine as there is plenty of space.

I will upload more detail photos of this Dynam Seawind later on tonight, we can have a peek at the inside of the plane..etc.

The build is So Simple... Dynam has really improved so much on their plastic hardware and have got it down to fine art.. 4 screws bolts down the Main wing, no need to glue.. its a solid fit.. plenty of foam/foam contact so its super tight and no flex.

Water wise... the plastic layer that's glued to the bottom has groves molded in, so that it will spray the water outwards, much better than the Dynam PBY design (photos will be posted later on this also)

Being a simple design as the seawind is, everything is water tight, there should not be much problem or mods to be done to make sure no water gets in.
then again.... still to be tested

Transporting it?? It fits in my Van nicely even with the pram in the boot! don't laugh.... my wife was not impressed....

Excuse the mess at the warehouse... we had the container delivered this morning.

And yes!!... Thats all Dynam planes in the background!

Will post the link to it later on as well.
Hobbyzone.Au is offline Find More Posts by Hobbyzone.Au
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2014, 05:53 AM
Joined Mar 2011
638 Posts
Sigh.... Someone make a Grumman Goose already!
Barrett_G is offline Find More Posts by Barrett_G
Old Sep 25, 2014, 06:15 AM
More air time please!
Joined Sep 2013
326 Posts
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1411639906461.jpg
Views: 126
Size: 50.8 KB
Description: Name: uploadfromtaptalk1411639920981.jpg
Views: 120
Size: 62.2 KB
Description: Name: uploadfromtaptalk1411639933710.jpg
Views: 118
Size: 47.8 KB
Description: Name: uploadfromtaptalk1411639945321.jpg
Views: 119
Size: 53.3 KB
Description: Name: uploadfromtaptalk1411639955939.jpg
Views: 123
Size: 39.5 KB
Description: Name: uploadfromtaptalk1411639966511.jpg
Views: 120
Size: 35.4 KB
Description: Name: uploadfromtaptalk1411639978261.jpg
Views: 124
Size: 46.9 KB
Description: Name: uploadfromtaptalk1411639988080.jpg
Views: 126
Size: 52.0 KB
Description: Name: uploadfromtaptalk1411639998471.jpg
Size: 48.5 KB
Description: Name: uploadfromtaptalk1411640011022.jpg
Views: 116
Size: 58.4 KB
Description: Name: uploadfromtaptalk1411640022710.jpg
Views: 112
Size: 43.3 KB
Description: Name: uploadfromtaptalk1411640038494.jpg
Views: 115
Size: 50.7 KB
Description: Name: uploadfromtaptalk1411640050791.jpg
Size: 51.5 KB
Description: Name: uploadfromtaptalk1411640063111.jpg
Views: 127
Size: 51.8 KB
Description: Name: uploadfromtaptalk1411640095349.jpg
Views: 117
Size: 59.5 KB
Description:
Old Sep 25, 2014, 09:16 AM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,121 Posts
Looks like they just showed up at Value Hobby in Illinois too.
http://www.valuehobby.com/dynam-seawind-pnp.html
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Sep 25, 2014, 09:31 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,121 Posts
Here's some interesting info from the full scale Seawind site.

Flight & Water Characteristics

LAND TAKE-OFF: The Seawind 300C accelerates quickly down the runway. At 60 knots (70 mph), a one-hand rotation is applied and the craft lifts off between 60 and 70 knots.

ROTATION: Because of the high thrust line above the vertical c g and the rotation about location of the main landing gear axle, flying boats require higher rotation forces on land take off. Once the wheels leave the ground, the rotation pivot point moves forward to the main spar location (about 14 inches) forward and the yoke force reduces about 15 pounds, and you can relax the elevator force.

CLIMB: With the landing gear retracted and the flaps set to zero, the Seawind 300C will climb quickly to altitude, at 1250 fpm.

CRUISE: The cruise configuration is with flaps reflexed to minus 10 up, required by its laminar flow airfoil. Once trimmed straight and level, the Seawind 300C is truly a hands-off machine.

LAND LANDINGS: Landings on land are normal with a gear-down speed of 120 knots (140 mph) and a flap-down speed of 110 knots (120 mph). The pattern speed is 80 to 90 knots with flaps at 20 as you apply a little up trim to what feels naturally comfortable. Full flaps are applied and the propeller is set to high rpm on the final leg with the speed at 80 knots. After crossing the threshold at 70 knots, flare to a touchdown speed of 55 to 60 knots. A significant ground effect allows you to gradually raise the nose to bleed off the speed about 2 feet above the runway.

The perfect landing attitude.

WATER LANDINGS: Landings on water are virtually the same as land landings; except, of course, the landing gear is up. Final approach is at 80 knots, with full flap, at high rpm. A few feet above the water, the Seawind 300C is leveled and slowed to 70 knots, and the nose is raised to about four to six degrees. Throttle back, and the Seawind 300C lands on the step at 55 knots. Visit the Water Safety section of the Flight Safety page.

STEP TAXIING: Step taxiing can be performed with full flaps or zero flaps. The time onto the step is a couple of seconds quicker with zero flaps. The wings are held level and steering is performed with the air rudder.

WATER TAKE OFF: Water takeoffs are comfortable. The Seawind 300C rises onto the step virtually by itself. A bit of up elevator is applied as the bow wave moves by the step. The elevator control is relaxed, and with full flaps at 55 knots, the Seawind 300C flies itself off the water. The rotation point of the hull on the water is near the main spar and so the rotation forces are much lighter than on land. Allow the speed to increase, and the Seawind starts to climb. Then gradually raise the flap to 0 for the climb setting.

TURNS: Like any amphibian of high thrust line aircraft, turns should be coordinated with rudder and ailerons.

PITCH CONTROL: The Seawind 300C has superb pitch control. A full power go around just above the water is easily executed with one arm pull back. The nose will not drop.

CROSS WIND LANDINGS: Carry a little power in a crosswind landing to make the air rudder more effective. Idling the power tends to block the flow over the air rudder. So, apply a little power, 10 inch of Hg. manifold pressure.

STALLS/SPINS: The Seawind is the only single-engine general aviation aircraft under 6000 lbs. With a Stall Prevention System (SPS). The SPS has two special design wing transducers which signal two analog computers. When either transducer senses that the aircraft is within 5 knots of a stall, it sets off a stick shaker to warn the pilot of an approaching stall. If the pilot does not take corrective action and the second transducer senses a stall, then a stick pusher moves the yoke forward lowering the nose to avoid a stall. If an aircraft does not stall, it cannot spin.

http://www.seawind.net/characteristics.html
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:27 AM
More air time please!
Joined Sep 2013
326 Posts
That was good reading thanks.

Just did a amp test. Wot peaked at 25a then Settled to 22a.

Esc being 40a I plugged in a 4s, at half throttle and 28a. . I chickened out. . . Too much power! And that big prop. . .

I also did test on 3S by pointing it up to see if it willl prop hang or see how much thrust it had if 1 to 1 or . . But found it hard due to the angle of the plane. . Not 100% vertical. But on 3s there is plenty of punch.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:54 PM
More air time please!
Joined Sep 2013
326 Posts
FYI Aussie pilots:

http://hobbyzone.com.au/remote-contr...ynam%20seawind
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:02 PM
More air time please!
Joined Sep 2013
326 Posts
I Think a 4S with a smaller prop will work nice as well.... but lets fly her stock tommorow first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyzone.Au View Post
That was good reading thanks.

Just did a amp test. Wot peaked at 25a then Settled to 22a.

Esc being 40a I plugged in a 4s, at half throttle and 28a. . I chickened out. . . Too much power! And that big prop. . .

I also did test on 3S by pointing it up to see if it willl prop hang or see how much thrust it had if 1 to 1 or . . But found it hard due to the angle of the plane. . Not 100% vertical. But on 3s there is plenty of punch.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 08:12 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyzone.Au View Post
I also did test on 3S by pointing it up to see if it willl prop hang or see how much thrust it had if 1 to 1 or . . But found it hard due to the angle of the plane. . Not 100% vertical.
HZ, How much total down thrust angle do you think it has? I heard years ago that this type of plane can be prone to quick unexpected loops if you accellerate too quickly.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:37 AM
More air time please!
Joined Sep 2013
326 Posts
I will find out if it does loops on wot tomorrow!! Maiden. . Have not put stickers on it yet. . Gona fly it white. . Then again with red Stickers. . . It Would fly faster!
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:17 AM
More air time please!
Joined Sep 2013
326 Posts
Reporting back:

The maiden went extremely well even though we had 35km winds today.

took off from our runway without wheels, bellied off into the air within 8m or so.

With a 2200 3S all the way front it flew nicely.
Cruising at 50% on the throttle proved good and at WOT it did not loop, but slightly climbed. which was not too much of a prob, as I tend to fly my planes as efficient as i can.

We also did a stall test.... wings just seems to rock and flop... no Snaps! or anything drastic.

At WOT we help up elevator.. it kept climbing.... and climbing... power wise it was more than enough as with all Dynam's planes.

landing and touch and go's on the grass was very smooth indeed, but to note if you do not come in smooth, and kinda come in and bumpy on the ground be prepare for some prop marks on fuse, prop will cause light scratches, not deep.

On a calmer day this plane would fly like a treat, glides well also, cant wait to take it off water! we had some water shots taken.... siting statisticly in the water....

Overall very pleased with the way she handled.

Photos can be viewed HERE
Last edited by Hobbyzone.Au; Sep 27, 2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 08:00 PM
More air time please!
Joined Sep 2013
326 Posts
Dynam Seawind Maiden flight off water!:
Dynam Seawind Maiden flight off water! (5 min 37 sec)
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,121 Posts
What a cool video. That visual of the inverted fly-by was sick.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 01:07 AM
More air time please!
Joined Sep 2013
326 Posts
Thanks. The sea wind is a easy to handle plane. Though with its short wings she doesn't have any bad tendency. and that was my 2 year old cheering me on haha.
Old Dec 01, 2014, 08:06 PM
United States, PA, Meadville
Joined Feb 2011
246 Posts
This seems like a pretty nice plane with some good vids from overseas. Why no interest? Does it not do well on 3s? Is it running a 10 inch prop? Then 1050 kv is a little on the low side. It seems that an 80 gram 1400 or 1700 would solve that. Anyone have any thoughts they'd care to share?
davovinch is offline Find More Posts by davovinch