Old Nov 24, 2013, 01:15 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,894 Posts
Mini-Review
Skywalker 2014 1800mm - FPVModel.com

Hello Everyone!

The build of the new Skywalker 2014 1800mm is complete!

The plane can be found at: FPVModel.com
Alternate Review thread by Japanx: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2042767

My first impression:
The packaging was great! Mine did get bashed pretty bad in the mail and one fuselage side was dented a little but not bad. The carbon tail is awesome! the super thin carbon is extremely light but very rigid. The 1800mm wings are very durable and went together very easy. The screw assembly for the tail removal is nice and works well for those that will be breaking it down for travel. I personally will be bringing this on family trips and it will be replacing my 44" flying wing as my vacation plane.

Throughout the build everything went together very easy. To join the main fuselage I punched small holes around the outer edges that were getting glued together to give the glue more texture to grip. I then wet the edges and used gorilla glue to attach the tail assembly and fuselage halves. The wings were assembled using Goop (household adhesive) that is similar to hot glue but does not soften in heat once cured.

The electronics will be very easy! The servos went in well and the UHF antenna was ran down through the tail and cut into the tail for the top and simply hanging out the bottom for the ground element.

My current motor is not working so I have a new motor and ESC on order that will be powering this beast for hopefully a great flight time! I am staying with 4S for now but with some new components that I am testing now, This may get a 6S transplant very soon.

Skywalker 2014 Build Part 1 (8 min 1 sec)

My Aircraft:

Specs from the Vendor:
Wing span: 1800mm
Wing area: 45dm2
length: 130cm
cruise speed: 40km/h
max speed: 150km/h
normal flight time: 30-50 mins

The latest 2014 version of skywalker 1800.

Totally new designed 1800 wings(which will replace the discontinued 1680 wings), big area aileron to maintain an excellent areobatics performance, distinctive downwards winglets maintain the stable performance at the meantime.

Don't be fooled by it's wingspan, also it's only 1800mm, but the wing area is more or less the same as the new skywalker 2013 wings, when you use the same setup, the new 1800 wings will offer a longer curise time by 20% at least.

Features:

1: Based on the great success of skywalker 1680 and 1900, idea platfrom for long range FPV and UAV flgiht. Super stable, very good glider performance.

2: With the new design fulselage, support 12-inch propeller at most, easier to banance the gravity. Bigger internal room, your hand can be put in without any problem.

3: Dozens of precise plastic connectors and covers make the new skywalker 1800 looks more professional and more neat, use a screwdriver can assemble and detach it in minutes, easy to be put in a backpack or your trunk.

In our first flight, a much better performance when encounter cross side wind. Of course, with the bigger propeller, higher efficent.

Vendor Pictures:

chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chanyote66; Dec 05, 2013 at 02:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2013, 01:16 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,894 Posts
Reserved - Post Build Review

Heres the post build video!
Skywalker 2014 Build Part 2 (3 min 49 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chanyote66; Dec 03, 2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 01:17 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,894 Posts
Reserved - Maiden Flight

Its in the air!
Skywalker 2014 Maiden (7 min 28 sec)

Skywalker 2014 Getting Acquainted (3 min 31 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chanyote66; Dec 04, 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 01:17 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,894 Posts
Comparisons to other FPV platforms

Here is a quick comparison to a few different aircraft I have. Ill compare the 1400mm skysurfer, 2400mm Super sky surfer, and the 1800mm Talon.

Skywalker 2014 Vs Talon
These two aircraft have the same wingspan and very similar portability capabilities. Both use a very reliable mount system for the wing and both can carry a massive payload. The only real difference U have between the two is the Talon is running on 6s and the skywalker is running on 4s but it is around the same thrust and motor/battery weight.

Launch: Both launch very easy and have no real issues that I noticed. I use a hand launch on both aircraft.

Flight: They both have a very similar pitch and roll characteristic. The v-tail of the Talon seems to lock in and have slightly more yaw authority over the skywalker but neither has a lack of control in any aspect.

Landing: The talon does slow down faster and requires a little more throttle on landing but neither is very difficult to land and based off skill level you can bring them into tight places. New pilots: have about a football field to land in for both planes, Experienced pilots: give yourself at least a 150ftx50ft area, Professional: both can easily be caught, so your limitations are just getting it to you!

Skywalker 2014 Vs. skysurfer 1400 (bixler 1.1)
These two aircraft are in completly different realms of RC and FPV but Ill do this comparison for those bixler/skysurfer pilots out there that may want to know. The bixler/skysurfer can carry a Gopro and 2200mah 3s battery easily and this is how my aircraft is setup. The Skywalker can carry 2x 5000mah 4s batteries and up to a Nex5 size camera. My current setup is using a single 5000mah 4s and a gopro hero 3 on a pan mount.

Launch: The skysurfer with its stock motor requires a little more of a throw to get it up to speed due to its small 6" prop and high RPM motor. To get it into its peak thrust range you have to get the aircraft up to speed quick. many people have issues with these dipping when launched because of this lack of speed. The skywalker 2014 basically leaps from my hand when running on a 10" prop and can use up to a 12" prop.

Flight: the bixler/skysurfer has a higher stall speed and much shorter flight times. my skysurfer 1400 averaged 10 minutes of agressive flight to 15-18 minutes of calm fpv flying. The Skywalker can easily fly more than 1 hour when configured correctly. For stability, the bixler/skysurfer is much more sensitive to balance and the weather due to its weight and smaller lift surfaces.

Landing: due to the higher stall speed of the bixler/skysurfer, I would still recommend the same space requirements. New pilots: have about a football field to land in for both planes, Experienced pilots: give yourself at least a 150ftx50ft area, Professional: both can easily be caught, so your limitations are just getting it to you!

Skywalker 2014 vs Super Skysurfer 2400
Launch: the Super Skysurfer (SSS) when powered by the stock 3s is very difficult to launch by hand because it needs a lot of thrust to get it airborn and the stock configuration is limited. When changing the power to 4s it still had issues with requiring 10-15% elevator up just to keep it from hitting the ground after launch. The skywalker has not shown any characteristics of this even when running the same weight on both. Also there are a variety fixes (Wing box reinforcement, Elevator fix, Motor alignment) that need to be done to the SSS or you will not be flying very long

Flight: The SSS handles very well in the air and is extremely calm. You almost have to over exaggerate movements to get it to go where you want but it is great for just floating around and makes tuning an autopilot very easy. The skywalker is a little more responsive but still has very stable and relaxing characteristics.

Landing: The SSS has one advantage over the Skywalker out of the box... Flaps. With these you can setup an amazing array of features to assist in landing this beast. I personally used a CROW configuration and traditional flaps to make it possible to land in very small places. With that said, you must know your environment to perform extreme landings, with massive wings every little thing like wind off the trees near the field causing pockets of turbulence. The SSS also has a major ground effect issue that you have to be prepared to deal with, when you get within the last 3-4 ft it will settle on the ground effects and float along without flaps or anything for a good 200-300ft, many people have to nose it in to get past this. For the notes mentioned I would change my requirements a little. New pilots: have about a football field with low surrounding trees and obstructions to land the SSS, Experienced pilots: give yourself at least a 150ftx50ft area with a clear, lower approach capability for the SSS, Professional: The SSS can be hand caught but remember those ground effects, it will keep up its speed all the way to the end.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chanyote66; Dec 05, 2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 08:51 PM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
Reserved - for making future comments
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Nov 25, 2013, 04:35 AM
3D Crazy
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Joined May 2010
796 Posts
What type of paint you're using?
Meez is offline Find More Posts by Meez
Old Nov 25, 2013, 07:19 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,894 Posts
regular spray paint from a hardware store. Ill get pictures when I get home.

You just have to dust it on. The propellants are what eat the foam so keeping 10-12" from the material provides enough time for the alcohol to dissipate before trying to eat the foam.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:24 AM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,534 Posts
awesome job bud.

how is the talon? im almost done with my skyhunter and will start working on my Talon soon.
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:18 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,894 Posts
The talon is great, once the reviews are done The talon will be my Business plane and this skywalker is the new hobby plane.

Still waiting on a motor and new ESC to show up... then hopefully this thing will be off the ground!

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2013, 02:40 PM
Magyarország, Baranya, Pécs
Joined Aug 2011
33 Posts
Somebody can help me, where is the COG of this 1800mm wing?
I'm very close to the maiden
BCorsa is offline Find More Posts by BCorsa
Old Nov 27, 2013, 03:59 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,960 Posts
^
inbetween the Wing Spar and Servo/Aileron wire tunnel,
but start at the Wing Spar
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Nov 28, 2013, 01:14 AM
Joined Mar 2012
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCorsa View Post
Somebody can help me, where is the COG of this 1800mm wing?
I'm very close to the maiden
My maiden is in 3 hours now.
I set the cg in line wing wing joint screws, I'll tell you what

David.
Japanx is offline Find More Posts by Japanx
Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:58 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,170 Posts
Ordered mine! With today's special. I waited for hours for the "order button" to come up green.

I ordered the ES08MA servo's and will wait to see what motor I may go with as I am fond of E-flite motors/ ESC's
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eternalflight; Nov 29, 2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:42 AM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,170 Posts
chanyote66,
After your paint job did you end up covering in NS. "There's a shine to the wing"
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2013, 01:29 AM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,170 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eternalflight; Nov 29, 2013 at 01:55 AM.